Im thinking about getting a new amp, but i just can't figure out what i want yet. The MF350 is already on my list of possible amps, but i've also heard really good things about the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier too. Basically i need something with brutal distortion with some ac/dc and some metallica-ish distortion with good cleans for bluesy stuff aswell, i just cant decide. I've already tryed out the Mode Four, and the distortion is pretty badass, but ive also heard that they have a tendency to break down. Ive yet to hear the Recto, but i heard they are pretty awesome but devour the tubes FAST, anyone got any soundclips? Which do you guys think i should get?

(Im probably gonna be playing small gigs like parties, and probably a talent show or two along with band practice and maybe some performances with my school's jazz band)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
their both in a completely different league, the mf is a hybrid, whereas the recto is tube. Id look at dual rectos myself, unless u really need the volume of a triple. (which judging by what you say your going to use it for you wont). If you have the money though, go for a recto
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
i tryed out a dual recto like 3 weeks ago, i wasent feeling it that much compared to the marshall, but then again i only tryed it for like 2 mins and dident get a chance to really mess around with it. Is the triple recto basically the same thing as a dual given a few more tubes?
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
I have clips up (I think..idk if he put them up yet though) in G&A's Ultimate Clips thread of my Triple Recto.

But here goes from a die-hard G&A rat:
The MF sucks NUTS. Its horible. It is a really bad amp.

The Triple Recto is a SERIOUS AMP man. You have to think 'do I need it?'. The Dual and the Triple are the same exact thing tone wise...why not go for the Dual? Its cheaper anyways.

I think youre just trying to get the biggest amp you can get your hands on TBH.

[edit] after reading your whole post: Neither amp would be good for you. Youre in no situation where youd need a Triple either...let alone a Dual. Recto's have a very unique sound that you either love or hate. Im worried that youre going to spend all that cash without even REALLY trying it out. Like you cant just go to GC and play it at 1 on the volume...you have to really crank it to know what its going to sound like. Even then it would take you about a solid week to dial in the EQ just right.

The MF is just a joke...seriously. Crate came out with a 300-something watt all tube head and kind of stole the spot light away from Marshall for a bit. So Marshall came out with a 350watt hybrid to take back the spotlight so to speak. Its got really thin, scratchy distortion and a horible clean channel.

What kind of cab do you have also? You cant just throw a Mesa on top of a Behringer and all it good...

My advice- think over your options and do A LOT more research. With all that cash you can find someting that really fits you...not just something HUGE and popular.

[edit 2] ALSO: The ONLY difference between the Dual and the Triple Recto's is wattage. 50watts. Soundwise that translates to about 3dBs. So the ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY difference is clean headroom...and its not even that much. You can only notice it on the clean channel anyways. People around here are always saying "Go for the Dual so you can saturate the tubes cause its only 100watts!"...NUH UH. It doesnt work that way. Even with the Dual you have to turn it up well past 6 or 7 on the volume to get the tubes to even start to saturate on channels 2 and 3...and by the time you even get to 3 or 4 youre already drowning out your whole band. So if you decide to say the Triple is useless because its 'too loud'...youre stupid. Volume isnt the issue. Besides...the only way to tell if one amp is 'louder' than another is to dime out both amps...and who would ever do that and live to tell about it?! Trust me...Ive owned the Dual and now a Triple...

K end rant.
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Aug 5, 2006,
well if want the best sound go the the mesa its a really really nice head and to the the sound is worth the money of changing the tubes ive played on both i do like the mesa better even tho im a mashall kinda guy i own the mashall jcm100 thriple lead

Mike
^ so...your first post on UG and no punctuation marks. nice.

TS thats another amp you should look into...the Marshall DSL/TSL. Or a Peavey XXX..or a Peavey 5150...or Framus or Bogner or Diezel or Soldano or Laney or Hi-Watt...etc.
i really wouldnt consider a Modefour at new price by any means, id get one used if its the amp you want, now triples are good amps and the tones do vary from the dual, the triple has a better clean tone, the distortion is a little tighter, and its louder which really isnt needed in your case id really look at TSLs or go all out and get an old JCM800 2 channel
i would buy the boogie

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
i have 2 MF-350 stacks. they are really good but know i wish i had just ordered a diezel herbet stack instead od getting these.

so if you have the price range to get an mf-350 just go for a peavey 6505 or a soldano avenger. or if you have the money get a diezel
hey dude, go with a Carvin V3 and forget about the other ones. i have a crappy crate gt1200 half stack and its 120 watts. everyone says that you have to turn it up to 6 or 7 and youll be too loud, but my drummer still drowns me out if i turn it up to 10. so i tried tolook for an amp thats like 1000 watts, but for some reason they only make little speaker systems for cars that can dish out that much, and they have to make an amp the size of a house to get up to 600 watts (the HUGE crate). so what im trying to say is that i used to think that 350 or 400 watts was the way to go, but i culdnt find anygood amps that dished out that much, and now everyones talking about how loud their 50 watt full stack marshall is, and im thinkin gthats like as loud as my 12 by 12 fender peice of crap that came with my squier.

hmm.... i dont know why i said all that actually. lets just say, ive learned that 100 watts is enough becasue i foud out that my drummer just drums WAAAAAYYYY too hard, and my amp isnt quiet. so umless youre gunna play in a stadium, get the Carvin V3. check it out dude on carvin.com, they have a video and sound clips that soud beatiful.
its like comparing apples (retco) and a steaming pile of ****...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
its like comparing apples (retco) and a steaming pile of ****...

Do we think alike because we're on the same side of Ped's anatomy?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I have clips up (I think..idk if he put them up yet though) in G&A's Ultimate Clips thread of my Triple Recto.
But here goes from a die-hard G&A rat:
The MF sucks NUTS. Its horible. It is a really bad amp.

The Triple Recto is a SERIOUS AMP man. You have to think 'do I need it?'. The Dual and the Triple are the same exact thing tone wise...why not go for the Dual? Its cheaper anyways.

I think youre just trying to get the biggest amp you can get your hands on TBH.

[edit] after reading your whole post: Neither amp would be good for you. Youre in no situation where youd need a Triple either...let alone a Dual. Recto's have a very unique sound that you either love or hate. Im worried that youre going to spend all that cash without even REALLY trying it out. Like you cant just go to GC and play it at 1 on the volume...you have to really crank it to know what its going to sound like. Even then it would take you about a solid week to dial in the EQ just right.

The MF is just a joke...seriously. Crate came out with a 300-something watt all tube head and kind of stole the spot light away from Marshall for a bit. So Marshall came out with a 350watt hybrid to take back the spotlight so to speak. Its got really thin, scratchy distortion and a horible clean channel.

What kind of cab do you have also? You cant just throw a Mesa on top of a Behringer and all it good...

My advice- think over your options and do A LOT more research. With all that cash you can find someting that really fits you...not just something HUGE and popular.

[edit 2] ALSO: The ONLY difference between the Dual and the Triple Recto's is wattage. 50watts. Soundwise that translates to about 3dBs. So the ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY difference is clean headroom...and its not even that much. You can only notice it on the clean channel anyways. People around here are always saying "Go for the Dual so you can saturate the tubes cause its only 100watts!"...NUH UH. It doesnt work that way. Even with the Dual you have to turn it up well past 6 or 7 on the volume to get the tubes to even start to saturate on channels 2 and 3...and by the time you even get to 3 or 4 youre already drowning out your whole band. So if you decide to say the Triple is useless because its 'too loud'...youre stupid. Volume isnt the issue. Besides...the only way to tell if one amp is 'louder' than another is to dime out both amps...and who would ever do that and live to tell about it?! Trust me...Ive owned the Dual and now a Triple...

K end rant.

Do you think you can give me the link to those soundclips? I cant seem to find them
I guess the MF350 is out of the picture because everyone in the known universe seems to say its crap

Im not trying to get the biggest amp i can get my hands on, i just want something that will handle the stuff i play, and these 2 amps are the only thing i can find that fits my musical playing styles.

Do you think you can reccomend me some settings so when i go to my local music store in a few days i can dial in some cool settings and see what the dual recto is really made of?

I have some cheap off brand cabinet right now, after i get a new amp head, im going to buy the cabinet that goes with that head.

Is it true that Tube wattage is higher than SS or something? like 100 watts SS is 150 watts tube

EDIT: If any of you guys can reccomend another amp that can do brutal distortion, classic rock, modern rock, metal, jazz, and blues really well please do so.
EDIT #2: It would be cool if you could also reccomend me with an amp that has atleast 4 channels and a footswitch. Thanks
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Last edited by pigeonkicker at Aug 5, 2006,
what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget?

maybe 1800ish or a tiny little more for a head

EDIT: I just checked out the Crate BLUE VOODOO, and that thing sounds like it is a tone monster, Tons of artists use it from ALL different genres - GWAR, Biohazard, Blue Oyster Cult, C.C Deville, (HED)p.E, Suicidal Tendencies, Marty Friedman, Taproot, Soulfly, You guys think its worth it?
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Last edited by pigeonkicker at Aug 5, 2006,
^ jeez, if you have $1800ish there are loads of amps you should be looking at: engl, framus, koch, peavey, laney, mesa, soldano, vht, bogner and diezel (maybe both those over budget), cornford (again, maybe over), and probably loads of others I've forgotten about.

I don't really like the crate, but try it if you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pigeonkicker
(Im probably gonna be playing small gigs like parties, and probably a talent show or two along with band practice and maybe some performances with my school's jazz band)

ermm, is it just me or are you crazy. You need a mesa rectifier WHY?!!

You could do all that with a valvestate marshall for £100.
Quote by FunkyO_49

.......... but then after that im gonna move on to bigger stuff
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
and you said

Is it true that Tube wattage is higher than SS or something? like 100 watts SS is 150 watts tube

Which shows you actually dont even know what you are buying. A 40w tube amp is equivalent to 100w SS (or thereabouts)

Seems to me like what you actually need is a half decent combo that is loud enough to gig with. Cue, Marshall's AVT range.
Quote by FunkyO_49

Valvestate=Sucky.

As kids say nope to dope, kids also say no to AVTs, MGs, Valvestates, and Mode Fours.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Valvestate=Sucky.

As kids say nope to dope, kids also say no to AVTs, MGs, Valvestates, and Mode Fours.

What evidence do you base that on?

The AVT series, in my experience, is a decent range. The guitarist in my band uses one, we gig with another local band who also uses one. They are loud enough, and have a very decent footswitchable distortion.
Quote by pigeonkicker

Wtf? Jazz Band and a Triple Recto, am I being truly ignorant or what the hell?
You don't want a half stack. When i got the head and cab, i soon realized This sucks carrying all this ****. Get an outstanding 2x12 extension cab, and either a XXX, single rectifier, Vetta II, HD-147, Flextone II(III), 5150 (II), 6505 (+), Mesa F-100, Mesa Nomad.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I base my evidence on such:
-Having listened/played to all of the mentioned, both clean, distorted, etc.

-Such helpful UG veterans who have tried the amp along with much superior amplifiers, posting clips, etc.

It is also worthy to note that the threadstarter has an amazing budget, so why not try to get as much out of it as he can, meaning getting something that will be worthwhile.

That said, I believe a JCM would do fine for this, although Dave's selections are quite good. I am unsure of their ability to do a multitude of sounds but knowing Dave's intelligence in the amplification market, I'm sure none of them are simple one-trick ponies.

Have you thought about a dual-amp setup? Maybe something like...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410?sku=480508

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-60-DSP-2x12-Combo-?sku=485044
Yea thats a good idea.

And the budget, yea its huge but the money saved could buy a top of the range guitar!
Its just insane to spend it on something you dont need.
Last edited by FunkyO_49 at Aug 5, 2006,
Quote by pigeonkicker
Do you think you can give me the link to those soundclips? I cant seem to find them
I guess the MF350 is out of the picture because everyone in the known universe seems to say its crap

Im not trying to get the biggest amp i can get my hands on, i just want something that will handle the stuff i play, and these 2 amps are the only thing i can find that fits my musical playing styles.

Do you think you can reccomend me some settings so when i go to my local music store in a few days i can dial in some cool settings and see what the dual recto is really made of?

I have some cheap off brand cabinet right now, after i get a new amp head, im going to buy the cabinet that goes with that head.

EDIT: If any of you guys can reccomend another amp that can do brutal distortion, classic rock, modern rock, metal, jazz, and blues really well please do so.
EDIT #2: It would be cool if you could also reccomend me with an amp that has atleast 4 channels and a footswitch. Thanks

I dont think that Eric (ibanez4life) put them up yet. Ill let him know so you can hear them!

Yeah. Some people love the Mode4...but it really isnt all that good sounding...to me anyways.

Some settings for the Mesa: (out of 10)
-CLEAN-
GAIN: 4
HIGH: 6
MID: 3
LOW: 5
PRES: 7

-CHANNEL 2- set to Vintage mode
GAIN: 7
HIGH: 5.5
MID: 4.5
LOW: 6
PRES: 7.5-8

-CHANNEL3- set to Modern mode
GAIN: 6-8
HIGH: 5
MID: 3-5
LOW: 5-6
PRES: 6-8

I have mine set to Tube Rectification (Normal mode) and the variac set to Bold.
Those settings are basic starters and should get you a good tone at any volume.

Try to get the nicest cab possible. Youd be suprised how much difference a good cab w/ good speakers makes.

The ratio between tube and SS amps is about 3:1. Meaning tube amps sound about 3 times louder than SS amps. Thats about the basics of it without getting too deep into it ya know.

Some amps that would be good for you are basically any that Dave_MC lists. He know his sh1t. I was just looking some Hughes and Kettner amps today at work...they might be what youre looking for but Idk ive never heard them.
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=109
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=tech&id=1
^ just to name a couple to check into.

^i'm not too fussed on those H&K's, to be honest. The triamp's worst tones are the metal ones, while the switchblade sounded pretty solid state to me. Obviously you want to try them yourself, pigeonkicker, since I might be wrong, or you may disagree, but yeah, I'm not all that fussed on H&K, for metal anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if your doing Jazz i say look into some fender devilles and such. But personally i would get something liek a MESA Mark series amp very versatile jazz and classic rock to Metal and everything inbetween
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Dave_Mc
^i'm not too fussed on those H&K's, to be honest. The triamp's worst tones are the metal ones, while the switchblade sounded pretty solid state to me. Obviously you want to try them yourself, pigeonkicker, since I might be wrong, or you may disagree, but yeah, I'm not all that fussed on H&K, for metal anyway.

Have you ever tried a H&K trilogy, Dave? If you have, are they like the triamp's crappier little brother or are they actually good?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ nope. I had the chance, but it was in a different shop to the triamp and switchblade, and I was kind of trying out smaller tube combos, I didn't really want to ask to try out a head as well... (i'd already been trying out for ages).

But yeah, the switchblade felt like the triamp's crappier younger brother, and i thought the triamp could, and should, have been better for the price it was. Didn't do the high gain thing well enough at all, in my opinion. Which isn't much use for an amp that claims to do everything well...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll agree that the Switchblade is horrible. I couldn't get a good tone out of any of the settings.
Quote by Syn Harvest
if your doing Jazz i say look into some fender devilles and such. But personally i would get something liek a MESA Mark series amp very versatile jazz and classic rock to Metal and everything inbetween

well actually im just doing metal mostly. im just saying that i would need the amp more for gigging and not bedroom use.

I kinda changed my mind about the recto vs. marshall. Now my choices are a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto vs a Crate Blue voodoo. Im looking for a versatile amp that can do everything. which do you guys think is better?

Quote by FunkyO_49
and you said

Which shows you actually dont even know what you are buying. A 40w tube amp is equivalent to 100w SS (or thereabouts)

Seems to me like what you actually need is a half decent combo that is loud enough to gig with. Cue, Marshall's AVT range.

I wasn't saying i knew the exact volume difference, i was just asking if what i heard about tube wattage being higher than solid state was correct
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Last edited by pigeonkicker at Aug 8, 2006,
Again...two completely different classes....

IMO, the Blue Voodoo is complete crap compared to the Mesa....

But then again, the Mesa is only for people who really know what they're doing, and have a nice overall rig to compliment it. It responds very different to what is infront of it.

From what I see, it looks like you're only going for the mesa for the hype around it. You seem to know nothing on the topic at all....

Do some more research, play as many amps as you can AFTER the research, and then pick your choices!
After reading your whole post, I've determined that you're pretty much asking: So, I'm going to be driving to work and maybe the store every once and a while, so which would be better, the Ferrari 360 Modena or the Lamborghini Murciealago? Or maybe a Dodge neon, I'm not sure.
For the genres you play, you'd be doing a disservice to yourself if you didn't check out the Boogie Mark IV.
Quote by El Codyo
After reading your whole post, I've determined that you're pretty much asking: So, I'm going to be driving to work and maybe the store every once and a while, so which would be better, the Ferrari 360 Modena or the Lamborghini Murciealago? Or maybe a Dodge neon, I'm not sure.

And in the end he picks the Bughatti Veyron.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I dont think that Eric (ibanez4life) put them up yet. Ill let him know so you can hear them!

Yeah. Some people love the Mode4...but it really isnt all that good sounding...to me anyways.

Some settings for the Mesa: (out of 10)
-CLEAN-
GAIN: 4
HIGH: 6
MID: 3
LOW: 5
PRES: 7

-CHANNEL 2- set to Vintage mode
GAIN: 7
HIGH: 5.5
MID: 4.5
LOW: 6
PRES: 7.5-8

-CHANNEL3- set to Modern mode
GAIN: 6-8
HIGH: 5
MID: 3-5
LOW: 5-6
PRES: 6-8

I have mine set to Tube Rectification (Normal mode) and the variac set to Bold.
Those settings are basic starters and should get you a good tone at any volume.

Try to get the nicest cab possible. Youd be suprised how much difference a good cab w/ good speakers makes.

The ratio between tube and SS amps is about 3:1. Meaning tube amps sound about 3 times louder than SS amps. Thats about the basics of it without getting too deep into it ya know.

Some amps that would be good for you are basically any that Dave_MC lists. He know his sh1t. I was just looking some Hughes and Kettner amps today at work...they might be what youre looking for but Idk ive never heard them.
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=109
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=tech&id=1
^ just to name a couple to check into.

Thanks for your help and anyone else who helped. Any more amp reccomendations are appreciated!
Quote by unplugtheradio

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11