Page 1 of 2
So.... I was wondering. I'm anti-social, I have few friends to hang out with durning summer so I have mucho time to practice. I was wondering.... What would happen if one was to practice 6 hours a day, every day, for a year? Because thats what I plan on doing.

But I need your help. Please help me organize a practice system for the week. I have a guitar lesson in 5 hours I will go and spend my hour constructing a practice plan with my instructor. But keep in mind I'm going to learn lead guitar. I need loads of scales and such.

I must be 'spoon fed', If you wish to submit a practice suggestion describe it. Perhaps tab it, and say how many times I should practice it. Thats a very important part. You can reccomend quantity by number or by hour. Example : practice the pentatonic A minor scale 1000 times in this pattern. OR practice the pentatonic A minor scale for 2 hours straight or whatever.

If you kind people assist me I will be soooo happy. I will update my practice plan and my progress here.

Tools available : Metronome, Guitar Pro 5
Last edited by Satatik at Aug 5, 2006,
Do all the major scales 45 mins to and hour every day, switch them of in octaves, too

EX: E major scale, then E major scale startingon the 12th fret for 45 mins... next scale

after you got those down, do minors, then move to penatonics, etc etc
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
So....for instance E-major scale and its octaves for 45 mins? Then the next scale for 45 mins? And so on till 6 hours is up? Is that what you mean?
You will burn yourself out and not learn much, you need to rest otherwise you will not pick up new skills, its precisely why I couldn't get barre chords for a while, i stopped praciticing so much and then it worked, so i advise against praciticing so much.

my routine is this:
every night I read a new tab or work on a tab ive been working on previously, then spend an hour playing that tab, then another hour playing generally.
aside from this whenever I am at home and not busy my guitar is on my lap and I will ocasionally play bits and pieces but I am not constantly playing.
do not practice all day, not only will you not learn much but you also will burn yourself out and become bored with the guitar, you may not think it but you will.

sometimes I give up for a week and come back twice as able to do stuff.

I never go over 3 hours of playing a day
Last edited by GLandolina at Aug 5, 2006,
No man, you just started playing didn't you? Well so have I, seriously, but I was playing casually and I know people who played casually. You can't be so idealistic about something like this. Don't do it because you want to be as good as this guy, just do it because you want to have fun. If you get bored you *will* start to hate playing and will start making excuses so you don't have to. Play as much as you want until you're bored, play a little bit more and if the enthusiasm doesn't return then stop. Take a day or two off if you need to, until you wake up or you're doing something else and all of a sudden, boom you want to play. But don't kill yourself.
I understand that if I can't take it to stop, and I know the risks involved. But I'm still going to attack it head on. Lets get this thread back on topic and give me the info I so desperatley seek. I bet 2 hours in I will say "This is borning" but I'm not doing it for fun or to enjoy myself. This is training! I'm doing it to get good at somthing and let nothing get in my way. I have practiced for 5 hours before and I know what its like.

Speak for yourself. I enjoy a good challenge.

I also understand that I'm not going to miraculusly get better by alot. The main thing with mastery of somthing is the factor of 'time'.
Get the Rock Discipline book by Petrucci for learning modern lead and how to play really fast. Then get A Modern Method For Guitar By William H. Leavitt, for your classical training and theory, and rythmm stuff.
I wouldn't dedicate all this to strict practicing. It is difficult for people to get much out of strict practicing beyond a few hours unless they have built themselves up to that point. There are plenty of musical things that can be done, though.

Firstly, practicing: Scales are good for developing some techniques, and that's about it. Don't spend too much time doing strict scales. Find exercises for other techniques you want to practice, and work on them with a metronome: string skipping, tapping, sweeping, legato, etc.

One thing I make sure is that my practice serves a practical function. If I want to do alt picking exercises with new stretches, I do them in the key of a song that I will be playing soon. That way, I can mix some ideas using bits of the exercises into my playing: I'm seeing real results from my practice, instead of practicing a technique and not using it.

As for musical exercise not related to strict practicing, you can spend some time improvising over backing tracks you record or program using guitar pro. Spend time studying theory, such as learning chord shapes, reading music, etc. Write some music and try to develope a good writing style.

Finally, with all the spare time you say you have, strongly consider dedicating some of it to exercise. Getting in shape really can help your practice be more productive, from what I've seen.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Satatik
I'm sorry to make your reply seem nullfied but I am DEAD set on practicing 6 hours a day. I won't get burned out, I have motivation, lots. If I want to be as good as this guy in 10 years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcVTu44UeN0&mode=related&search=

I better goddamn practice 6 hours a mother freaking day and not give a damn if my fingers hurt/or I'm too bored.

First of all, the guy in that video is a fag. Did you see him wave his hair around?

On topic, I highly, highly doubt that you will have the same attitude in a year or two. The posts above are correct, you'll burn yourself out and learn nothing if you practice for 6 hours every day. I suggest 2-3 hours.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
it sounds that you're just starting off with guitar and it's great that you want to practice a lot, but remember, it isn't how much your practice, it's the quality of your practice. there is a difference between practice and playing. do you really think you can focus for 6 hours? take breaks from what you?re practicing. go for a walk, watch TV, do other stuff. do like 20 minutes practice, do something else, come back.
Last edited by skybl4ck at Aug 5, 2006,
Ok, first off I'm 17. I started guitar last august. I understand not to practice scales too much because I do need more practical practice like legato and string skipping as you said. Part of that 6 hours IS based on improvising to a backing track with the A minor pentatonic scale so I do improvise with scales.

Thanks for the suggestion with string skipping and legato. As for the burnout, yes burnout is to be expected at first, but there are things you can do to make it more pleasant such as taking breaks and taking walks etc, The last thing I had on my mind was to practice 6 hours non-stop without small breaks. I need lots of water etc.

Also in response to the excersise deal. I wake up every day at 5:30AM and run a 1 3/4 miles and do an excercice routine. I'm in pretty good shape.

I have practiced 5 hours before. My fingers had bruises for 2 days. I didn't mind too much. My instuctor stated it maybe good to set 1-2 hours aside for learning songs. 1 hour for scales, 1 hour for patterns in the scales, 1 hour for inprovising in scales, 1 hour for chords.

I'm starting to see a basic structure here and will build off that, but I'm looking into structuring it into different practice for different days. Like a body building routine, legs monday, upper body tuesday type deal.

Keep the ideas coming, and I do believe what you say and that at my level burnout is a possiblility but I know what burnout is, how to deal with the weakness and eliminate it. I am no pussy I don't get burned out easily.

Besides if I do get burned out I can lower the hours once school starts back up august 20th, 13 days of this hard practice WONT kill me. After all I have a band to be in once it starts back up. The local professional player here where I live practiced 8 hours a day when he was on tour.
i just recommend you to watch Rock Discipline by John Petrucci. he could probably go though all your answers, and give you some great excercises.
Roger that, where can I obtain this besides online? Would a local guitar shop have a copy?

EDIT: I looked into it, seems that is for intermediate guitar players, with me barely reaching a year, don't you think that video may be a bit to soon?
Quote by Satatik
Roger that, where can I obtain this besides online? Would a local guitar shop have a copy?

EDIT: I looked into it, seems that is for intermediate guitar players, with me barely reaching a year, don't you think that video may be a bit to soon?

It will give you a challenge, but a challenge is good. Plus you can play it as fast as you want you dont have to play as fast as he does.
also check out 'speed mechanics for lead guitar' by troy stetina. good exercises that can be built up to speed...

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
look, if you're dead set on playing for 6 hours every day, don't do it all at once, i promise you will screw yourself that way, practice for 30 minutes - 30 minute break - 30 minutes of practice and so on and so forth, trust me, you'll get alot better alot faster that way vs. 6 hours of straight practice

EDIT: you're very enthusiastic about your playing, dont EVER lose that!
It seems the focus of this thread has shifted from your question, to the amount of time you will be playing. That doesn't.......Anyway

First, I need to know your goal. Is playing shred your goal? Or do you want to be a versatile guitar player? Do you want to be a jazz cat, whipping around strange voicings, or is slow soulful blues your thing? Are you playing with a pick, or is it guitar renditions of Bach masterpieces your goal?

So yes, first tell me your goal, because your plan will vary.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I have GOT to admire your work ethic. Great job, mate. I practice 5-8 hours a day and ive been playing for a while and i have still havent gotten any injuries. Just some calloused finger tips Continue playing, bro. Rock on.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
I think if you practice 6 hours every day for a year then you will not get any friends but you wil definately get pretty good. If you can keep it up.
If you strongly believe that for six hours a day you can practice, and you seem to have the determination to do so, i would say go for it if it's something you want to be doing. The main piece of advice i could give is in each practice session vary it up a bit. For example, rather than just looking at scales for the full six hours, look into some chords, chords structures and learn other things as well (Ie Songs by your fav bands or famous riffs). But make sure to keep pushing yourself and don't be afraid to step away from the guitar during a practice session if you start getting aches and pains or you start getting bored. Don't even be afraid to step away from it for a couple of days (like the others have said )

Just remember to keep having fun with it!
Thanks for the comments all. As for my goal, if you look at the video I posted I want to play like that guy. So yes basicaly a shredder, legato playing, sweeping, super quick scales etc.
Quote by Satatik
Thanks for the comments all. As for my goal, if you look at the video I posted I want to play like that guy. So yes basicaly a shredder, legato playing, sweeping, super quick scales etc.

No probs mate, just keep in mind that nothing happens instantly and keep up the enthusiasm, it's good to see!

And keep us posted on how it goes
I will, I start tomorrow, Today I'm trying to tweak my schedule. I'll post how it went after I'm done.
ok if you think you can.
come back in 2 months and tell us if you went 6 hours every day full practicing, and don't lie :P:P:P
Ahh, so you want to be a shredder? I'm not trying to bash the genre, although it isn't my cup of tea. Satatik, you will have to be prepared for the extremely monotonous, though it will be fun getting better and better, sometimes you will be pissed off not being able to hit an arpeggio with 16th notes at 70bpm. Be prepared to be more than determined, you will have to be patient!

Anyway, shredzilla workout

Well, first you need the basics. Learn chords! Learn many chords! Major/minor maj7/dom7/min7 and diminished. This will give you a great foundation.

Practise scales of course, and understand why they exist. Some people say start with the minor pentatonic, I don't disagree, but learn the major scale ASAP! Be able to play it all up and down the neck, and in several keys.

Arpeggios. These are like, the ultimate solo tool. I don't just mean because they sound awesome, but when you understand the sound you will get from flattening the fifth or whatever, or raising the seventh, you will have a lot of command over your melody. These are also very wonderful excersises. Make your own, and practise them. Find the notes in the chord you want to arpeggiate, then plan it out. G major for example

e-----------------------------------7/15---
b-------------------------------8----------
G------------------------7----------------
D-------------5---9----------------------
A--------5---------------------------------
E-3-7--------------------------------------

Start by learning the notes on your fretboard, then finding out what notes are in your chord, then play them!

Of course, master all those techniques you crave.

Legato -You can combine this with your scale and arpeggio drills

Tapping - same thing

Sweep picking - grab some excersices off the net, or make your own. The latter being more helpful to you.

Also, try learning songs in the style you want to play. Even if you have to play it VERY slow, play it anyway
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Practice new stuff for an hour or two, then use the rest to jam to songs or run though your scales and what not. If you're starting dry learn a couple easy songs just to have something as a break from new stuff. Then start learning where the notes are on the neck and then scales. Knowing how the notes are laid out across the neck will help you with understanding scales a ton.
My Stuffs:
-ZZ Ryder Empire (with Wilkinson trem.)
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Zoom 505ii (was only $15, and came with an skb case)
-Crate FXT120
So far for tomorrow I have this.

1 hour chords.
2 hour songs.
1 hour scales.
30 mins patterns.
30 mins improv w backing/patterns.
30 mins tapping.
30 mins theory
1 hour sweeping.

All will be using a metronome, and none will be fast so the point where I make mistakes. Sweeping is a highly advanced technique for my level and I will have to take it at a snails pace for a fairly extreme amount of time doing extremely simple structures.

For day 1 this seems rather sound. I will tweak it for day 2 ect. I might also record a little video for you guys ;-) to chronicle my practice lol.

So as with arpeggio practice. I understand chord structure theory, I know the notes in chords. So with that Gmaj chord arpeggio you gave me, I know the notes in the chord are G B D, so are the ones in the tab. So if I desired I could take the G maj chord and find all the G,B,and D notes and plot out my own course?
If you're going to practice for 6 hours everyday, make sure you're practicing the correct way - otherwise all you're doing is wasting time.
Thats what the metronome is for. IMHO if you don't use a metronome your practice is worth about as much as dirt. Whats your opinion of 'correct' practice?
^A metronome improves your timing... that isn't practicing correctly, that's... using your practice to improve your timing. And non-tempo practice is worth as much as practice with a metronome... it's just wise to include a metronome so you're timing improves as your technique improves.

Correct practice is having awareness of what you're doing, and what you're not doing. Being aware of your body and mind. Concentrating on what you're doing and what you're not doing. Being relaxed. Enjoying your practice.

Lots of things = correct practice, and even then correct practice is slightly subjective, it depends on the player. But those things I listed should hold true to most players.

Seriously though, it's what you do with the time you practice - your improvement will be based on the quality of your practice, not the quantity. If you expect to play along mindlessly with a metronome for 6 hours every day for a year - you'll improve your timing and that's about it, nothing else noticeable.

How long or short your sessions are shouldn't be a factor in anything if your playing is improving and you're enjoying your practice.

If you're serious about it and want a strict routine where you know you're going to improve, try http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Book/further1.htm and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156224003X/103-7575958-5833442?v=glance&n=283155 - Read them, take it all in and enjoy your improvement.
Those books look interesting, I like the first one alot. Seems mastery of guitar shares many paralels with mastery concepts of other things. Martial arts for example, even body building focus on micro awareness of the body and mind to promote correct form and perform correct practice. At least thats how I understand it. I know about the muscle tension thing and I play as relaxed as possible and keep myself aware of my tension levels so it never becomes 'normal'.

I'll be sure to buy that book.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Correct practice is having awareness of what you're doing, and what you're not doing. Being aware of your body and mind. Concentrating on what you're doing and what you're not doing. Being relaxed. Enjoying your practice.

exactly
UPDATE.

For the past two days I have met my quota of 12 hours. The chords went by quickly, Songs were also very fun to learn when I had 2 hours to practice them. With roughly 2 hours of scales it got boring... realy fast. I must have done the same scale 40 times, looked at the clock, and seen that only 3 minutes or less have gone by. But I made it through. The rest went as smoothly as ever.

Today I had the pleasure of being taugh by a very talented professional rock/blues player (Led Zep style, old school rock) Who has 3 CDs out with the name of the band being "James Way". He hates giving lessons but me working with him in a charity program for foster kids and guitar, he has seen the amount of drive I have. In his words, "I wouldn't have done this for just anybody.".

I realy appreciate his instruction, He showed me quite a few scales, and showed me lots of interesting patters possible within the scales. Also told me more in depth about keys, and how barchords and learning positions are very important.

By the way, rock discipline video did kick major ass.
I know know the secret to playing alot of lead parts now because of the small patterns he showed me. He said after I get realy good at the stuff he gave me, I should come back and he will teach me tripplets and quadruplets, etc.

All this practice with me barely playing a year of guitar I have managed to play the entire stairway to heaven solo perfectly clean at 70% of its normal speed.

I have learned more about guitar in the past week than I have the entire time I have been playing, I realize now is a cruical time for learning if I want to go professional and become a studio musician so I'm going ALL out.
Yeah well Done, just make sure you keep pushing yourself and keep working as hard to make sure that you are still progressing.

If you are getting bored of doing scales for the two hours I think it was that you said, why not split it up. Maybe into two one hour 'sessions', or even four half hour ones. Just don't bore yourself yet, It's only been two days! Also try varying up what your doing. For example, don't always start with your chords maybe one day start with some scales or your songs etc etc

But Keep it up!
Yes, thats what I was planning, Today I'm going to start with scales, and mix it up a bit with legato practice etc.
WTF for the idea of pure scales or lots of scales or anything over 50% of scales.

If I were you I would improvise on the major scale, minor, penta etc etc in all styles, yea, improvising is fun, and then perhaps compose a few riffs, play guitar mentally(it really works fo r me)

Also try strumming a few random chord progressions, and expand your chordal vocabulary.
Page 1 of 2