ok so im working on building up my nps speed, and i play 13 nps playing through the modes and like 14 or 15 when i do the pentatonic. so is this fast enough to be considered a shredder? i mean im going to try and get as fast as i can, but my goal is 20nps. any thoughts?

~Timepheonix

p.s. right now im 95% accurate, i miss like 2 notes when doing the modes, but sounds really clean.
Quote by TimePheonix
p.s. right now im 95% accurate, i miss like 2 notes when doing the modes, but sounds really clean.

Not clean enough.

Don't get hung up on speed, make sure you're CLEAN. And being a shredder isn't determined by speed, there's lots of fretboard wankers on sites like youtube who I wouldn't dare call a shredder.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Do you play 16th note triplets at high tempo or something like that? Or just untight fast sh*t?
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by metallica040
20nps = 20 notes per second?

Jesus christ I play like 8....
Back to practicing my scales I go....

I play about 7-8 and i thought that was fast lol. Oh well, im not a speed freak anyhow.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
play 666nps, then your a shredder..

Kidding, As long as you can play cleanly through your stuff quickly.
...:::The Master Chief :::...
Quote by Noomz
play 666nps, then your a shredder..

Kidding, As long as you can play cleanly through your stuff quickly.

I'm stealing your awesome avatar for my msn
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Technically a shredder by definition is playing fast and technically, and usually in a neoclassical sense, altho some consider people such as steve vai shredder, they are in a sense, but not trely a shredder
And im can do 16nps kinda sloppy, 10 clean, and 20tremolo picking.
But i think around 10 - 12 is all you really need to sound good, if you look at alot of the greatest solos of all time, there usually no more then 12nps i believe

and if any of this is wrong correct me, i got some info off of wikipedia, so yeh
Quote by Resiliance
Not clean enough.

Don't get hung up on speed, make sure you're CLEAN. And being a shredder isn't determined by speed, there's lots of fretboard wankers on sites like youtube who I wouldn't dare call a shredder.

Speed alone doesn't make you a shredder. Also, it's better to be clean in your playing and play slowly than being an un-clean player. And don't rush to become a shredder (not saying you are rushing), just let the speed come to you!
Quote by metallica040
20nps = 20 notes per second?

Jesus christ I play like 8....
Back to practicing my scales I go....

I'm about the same but i have only been playing for like 2 months.
speed is good, but who is impressed anymore by someone who can shred on the minor scale? the truly impressive shredders are the ones who can shred while playing chord progressions and in weird scales and positions. I would call someone like Jeff Beck one of the first shredders, because he plays parts that are just ridiculous to physically perform on the fretboard. it's not even close to 20nps, but it's pretty fast, and SUPER clean.
Quote by Resiliance
Not clean enough.

Damn right.
But if you're clean, i would say 20nps+ is fast.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
i can play like 80 nps when my left hand is holding down one note and my right hand is in spasms.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Yeh... I am a little curious as to how you are actually achieving this 13 or 14 or 15 notes per second, are you using strict alternate picking or a messy legato technique? Playing each note once or playing random 16th triplets through the scale etc. etc.

I think the only way you are going to reach 20 nps if doing straight scalic runs is through legato / tapping and if its not clean that will be worth f*** all... However if speed is all that makes a shredder than I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to sweep pick arpeggios across 6 strings to achieve 40 notes per second - and that will have to be clean...
Quote by Stop Messin'
I'm stealing your awesome avatar for my msn

Lol Chuck Berry!!!! its Chuck Norris who's the fighter man....

Chuck Berry is a blues guitarist...

Alright guys, I'm sure you guys understand this but guys like David gilmour of Pink Floyd still sound good when they play slow, but then again its all very subjective and I don't want to start a discussion....
Last edited by theteapartyrock at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by theteapartyrock

Early rock and roll
Quote by Brent 258
Yeh... I am a little curious as to how you are actually achieving this 13 or 14 or 15 notes per second, are you using strict alternate picking or a messy legato technique? Playing each note once or playing random 16th triplets through the scale etc. etc.

I think the only way you are going to reach 20 nps if doing straight scalic runs is through legato / tapping and if its not clean that will be worth f*** all... However if speed is all that makes a shredder than I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to sweep pick arpeggios across 6 strings to achieve 40 notes per second - and that will have to be clean...

i alternate pick it. and when i said that im 95% clean, that didnt mean that i was gonna keep going faster until i got it 100% clean. my techncial ability is allright, i cant sweep across all 6 strings yet, only like 4.

Quote by Muppe
t Do you play 16th note triplets at high tempo or something like that? Or just untight fast sh*t?

no just straight 16th notes.....13 nps is 16th notes at 195 bpm.

Quote by khalil1220
Technically a shredder by definition is playing fast and technically, and usually in a neoclassical sense, altho some consider people such as steve vai shredder, they are in a sense, but not trely a shredder
But i think around 10 - 12 is all you really need to sound good, if you look at alot of the greatest solos of all time, there usually no more then 12nps i believe

but alot of the music im hearing and that i want to play has alot of faster solos in it, stuff like Shadows Fall, Trivium, the Suicide solution solo, Nevermore, etc. But when i say im aiming for 20 nps, its cause i know if i get to it, i'll be able to play stuff at like 16 or 17 nps more comfortably.

~Timepheonix

p.s. anyone know how fast Matt Heafy and Corey Beauieu are?

p.s.s. the Bitter End by Sum 41 hits 13 nps in the solo.
Quote by theteapartyrock

Alright guys, I'm sure you guys understand this but guys like David gilmour of Pink Floyd still sound good when they play slow, but then again its all very subjective and I don't want to start a discussion....

His sig is making reference to a great movie. And if you don't know who marty mcfly is then.... just wow.
Quote by khalil1220

and if any of this is wrong correct me, i got some info off of wikipedia, so yeh

O rly?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by TimePheonix
p.s.s. the Bitter End by Sum 41 hits 13 nps in the solo.

man i can play that solo..and i didn't know it was 13 nps wow thanks for telling me that...i thought my speed was like 8 nps
it does....cause it's 16th notes at 202.....which is just over 13 bpm. but its all on the minor pentatonic scale though, which makes it just a little bit easier..... that and its not all alternate picked, like half of it is hammer-ons and pull-offs......i've been able to play it for about 1 year now, and i've only been playing for a year and a half.

~Timepheonix

edit: i just checked my nps a few minutes ago, and i was hitting all the notes doing 13 nps. and i played through the scales for like 5 minutes straight, and it was flawless.
Last edited by TimePheonix at Aug 6, 2006,
i am one example of the people that are like "20 NPS THATS IMPOSSIBLE" then i remembered how long a second was