Page 1 of 2
hi guys, well ive been playing for about 5and a half months and i want to start soloing

now before you tell me to go to the solos for beginners bit, i did, and loads were way too hard like nothing else matters and stuff

i love metallica but i dont think any of their solos are easy enough for me, well except the one, fade, and sanitarium ones. i can do most of the fade to black starting one except the little fast bit in the middle. and i can do the one beginning solo also

the only other 2 solos i can do are teen spirit and holiday (green day lol, dont laugh)

i just want some suggestions if possible on some solos i could try to get me going

thanks guys
Learn as much as you can about scales, before you approach learning a guitar solo, learn the theory and scales behind it. It will make them soooo much easier to play and understand.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Guns n Roses - knocking on heavens door
Audioslave - The last remaining light

Both very easy and still good for your technique (especially the GNR song).

Good luck!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
You could learn the wish you were here solo, I don't think it will sound bad on electric... That was my first one, although that was just one month ago, on acoustic. You'll love it when you learn it!
jesus, i think some of you guys replied before i posted lol!
thanks very much, ill go listen to some of those songs and give them a go

thanks again
Quote by LJTPerry
Learn as much as you can about scales, before you approach learning a guitar solo, learn the theory and scales behind it. It will make them soooo much easier to play and understand.

C'mon man hes only been playing 5 months. Trying to learn theory while fighting with the techniques on the guitar is too much. Learn scales when you are comfortable.

I remeber being at exactly the stage you are at, alibi a few years ago. I learnt the solo from sweet child 'o mine, as much as i could do.

Try some darkness solos, not too hard either
Hey, that how I learned. At 3 months of playing guitar.
Listen to Black Sabbath
thats pretty impressive then. Im not saying its wrong, but when i started playing guitar i didnt care about keys or chords, i just wanted to rock.
I wanted to rock too, I learned the chords as soon as I started playing, and with that out of the way, I went on to greater things.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Quote by FunkyO_49
C'mon man hes only been playing 5 months. Trying to learn theory while fighting with the techniques on the guitar is too much. Learn scales when you are comfortable.

I remeber being at exactly the stage you are at, alibi a few years ago. I learnt the solo from sweet child 'o mine, as much as i could do.

Try some darkness solos, not too hard either

well thats handy, just learnt the rthym to thing called love yesterday lol
The first solo to master of puppets. The slow one isn't actually that hard, in my opinion. And as has been said, scales etc.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Trivium - Rain
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
every rose has its thorn, its pretty easy, its got a few fast parts but overall its pretty easy, one of the first solos i learned was "you shook me all night long (live)" off of the AC/DC LIVE album its pretty easy and fun to play
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
i got that kryptonite one nailed and, surprising myself here, i also can play the nothing else matters solo! wooo, and most of it except the end with my eyes closed/looking away

so thanks guys
The best way to learn scaling and soloing is to just to keep trying.

dont be afraid to challenge your ability's in time you will be a great guitarist.

but for now learn Santana-Europa its fairly easy and you get results quickly. his scaling is not that fast on it and its not difficult to remember. This was my first introduction to soloing and scaling. goodluck

Dont learn the solo by three doors down it's crap and your wasting guitar time man

Santana!
lol i didint say it was difficult though, i know its not really a solo i can brag about but i just thought id mention it, ill have a listen to the santan one now, cheers buddy
Try the very intro solo of Shine on You Crazy Diamond. It's incredibly awesome and relaxing and not too fast. I've been trying, get stuck on some parts, but I havent even been at it for 3 months since I started to pick up my guitar again.
the solo from santeria by sublime is very easy and interesting. The solo for Proud Mary by CCR is exceptionally easy and is a good exercise in using chords in solos. Also check out the solo to Get Back by the Beatles.
From my POV, soloing = improvising.

Just copying tabs won't be all that helpful to you unless you can put the notes
into some kind of context for yourself. You would have some context if you take
the time to learn some improv basics and starting doing it yourself.

There's no reason why can't start with just 5 months experience.

Here's some easy first steps you can take:

1) Learn all positions of the pentatonic scale.
2) Take a blues progression, start trying to use the pentatonic scale to create your
own solos and/or licks.
3) Learn all positions (5) of the major arpeggio and minor arpeggio
4) Start taking simple chord progressions (even just 2 chords to start) and practice playing any note of the arpeggio of the current chord. No matter where you are on
the fretboard find the current chord arpeggio and play them when the chords
change. Know this cold. I can't stress enough how important this is. If you can
do that in your sleep, you'll be way ahead of lots of people in being able to solo.
It's not hard to do but will just require some time to master.
Quote by edg
From my POV, soloing = improvising.

Just copying tabs won't be all that helpful to you unless you can put the notes
into some kind of context for yourself. You would have some context if you take
the time to learn some improv basics and starting doing it yourself.

There's no reason why can't start with just 5 months experience.

Here's some easy first steps you can take:

1) Learn all positions of the pentatonic scale.
2) Take a blues progression, start trying to use the pentatonic scale to create your
own solos and/or licks.
3) Learn all positions (5) of the major arpeggio and minor arpeggio
4) Start taking simple chord progressions (even just 2 chords to start) and practice playing any note of the arpeggio of the current chord. No matter where you are on
the fretboard find the current chord arpeggio and play them when the chords
change. Know this cold. I can't stress enough how important this is. If you can
do that in your sleep, you'll be way ahead of lots of people in being able to solo.
It's not hard to do but will just require some time to master.

This seems really helpful, and definitely something to work on. But for people like me, who have NO idea what any of that is or means, could you provide any good links for learning and working on these kinds of things?
i agree , you should learn that solo. i learned it a couple weeks ago actually and I got to say it has improved my soloing technique. Also try Red hot chili peppers- dani california solo
i actually didn't see the second page so i was talking about the shine on you crazy diamond solo
http://www.betterguitar.com/Instruction/Improvising/Pattern1.html

go here....go over this guys lesson on improvising...

the lesson is taught in Amajor. but the pattern stays the same for every key..you just move it down or up accordingly on the fret board. (he explains this).

theres little jam tracks for you to practice with. basically any note you hit in that pattern will sound good as long as the song is in the key of A (of course eventually you learn which notes to hit as the chord progression continues but that comes later when you start really making your own solos).

from this lesson you can pretty much start discovering the fret board...thats the first thing you need to do. from there you can begin to improvise.

playing solos from tabs will confuse the heck outa you if you don't know what your playing scale wise. "just trying to rock" will set you back for years. learn right. in one month you can probably be playing most basic solos with some semblence of timing and technique. noone will ever learn guitar overnight and there are no easy fixes we can tell you.

ultimate-guitar.com (this very site) has a lessons section. go to it. go to the soloing for beginners and start reading. its gonna be chicken scratch at first but use your brain. it'll click.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
by learning tabbed solos you can learn a lot. you can elaborate on your technique with theory
if you go to lessons in UG and type in theory there is a article called theory for begginers which is amaxzing
learning your scales....and theory are 2 different things...theory is the learning of how chords are made....why a scale does what it does...modes...etc.

learning a scale takes 10 minutes....you just learn a pattern.

if this guy wants to solo hes gotta put time into it. learning a tabbed solo teaches you nothing but how to copy someone else. and even then your gonna be sloppy because your hands have no basis for where they should be going.

something as simple as knowing the penatonic scale allows you to almost jump into the mind of the player whos song your playing. you see why he went somewhere and you know where hes gonna go.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
thanks guys, im gonna go take a look at a few scales in the UG lesson section

is this advisable even though i only know tab? i should probably have mentioned that before lol
Quote by yellowlizard
thanks guys, im gonna go take a look at a few scales in the UG lesson section

is this advisable even though i only know tab? i should probably have mentioned that before lol

all the scales on ug are written out in tabs....or they show the fretboard with frets divided up and put an X on every note in the scale.

you'll have no problem
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by MortyKBG
You could learn the wish you were here solo, I don't think it will sound bad on electric... That was my first one, although that was just one month ago, on acoustic. You'll love it when you learn it!

Sounds best on acoustic, when i play it on electric it needs a bit of spicing up a bit. The two vocal solo's also sound best on acoustic.
Did anyody say November Rain?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Muppet
Guns n Roses - knocking on heavens door
Audioslave - The last remaining light

Both very easy and still good for your technique (especially the GNR song).

Good luck!

How about Show Me How To Live .
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by bonchie1
all the scales on ug are written out in tabs....or they show the fretboard with frets divided up and put an X on every note in the scale.

you'll have no problem

thanks dude, and for the record, i dont like emos either

EDIT - holy crap i dont understand that at all! (just kidding, its only one bit)

how do i play the second picture on pattern one, i just dont understand what order to play it. the first note is G on ninth fret right? but after that where do i go, theres a bunch of notes!

please help, im scared lol
Last edited by yellowlizard at Aug 12, 2006,
Alright Now by Free or Oye Come Va by Santana, are both quite good beginner solos.
Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit
Nirvana - Come as you are.

Probably the two most easiest solos ever.

I need to learn "Wedding in the Dream" by JerryC
joe satriani - starry night
though the whole song is a solo and hard to remember, it's beautyful and not too hard
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Page 1 of 2