I was wondering if the charming people on the ultimate-guitar forums would be kind enough to give me there opinions on the Ibanez Rg1570 and the Jackson RR3 Rhoads.

What guitar do you think is better on the whole, and what guitar would be better for not only metal/hard rock (my main genre's) but for other styles such as blues and possibly shred (what I'm aiming for).

Thanks in advance
I'd say the ibanez rg1570 would be better than the rr3. I have the rg and i was considering other jacksons when purchasing it, however the jackson's weren't comfortable and the necks weren't as smooth. As well, the ibanez had much higher quality and came with a hardshell case.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Quote by iam2phat
I'd say the ibanez rg1570 would be better than the rr3. I have the rg and i was considering other jacksons when purchasing it, however the jackson's weren't comfortable and the necks weren't as smooth. As well, the ibanez had much higher quality and came with a hardshell case.

Thanks for the info, but did you actually try out the RR3 Rhoads or just some random Jacksons, because I only want to know about this specific Jackson
I've played both and I like the jackson better. To me it sits better and plays alot faster. I like both these guitars alot but would have to give it to the jackson.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
they're both good, the rr3 could use a floyd swap, and rg1570 could use a pickup change.

Ibanez fans are probably going to say the rg and Jackson fans are probably going to say the RR3

Also if you haven't tried them both out, you should if you can. Then you can decide which you like better.
The ibanez, easier to hold than a V plus apparently jackson LFRs are hit and miss whereas the 1570's trem is apparently a god send, its also cheaper to make a pick-up change than a trem change
this is my opinion, but the ibanez is better all-round quality than the Randy rhoads, has much better upper fret access, and comes with a hard case. also, the single coil would be nice to have if you play blues. It does have pretty rubbish pickups, but then that means you can swap them for your personal choice (rather than the Jackson CEO's personal choice to make them the most money) of pickups without feeling bad about wasting some of your money on stock name-brand pickups. The ibanez has a better trem too.

So yeah, IMO, ibanez. I always think I like Jacksons, until I try a similarly-priced Ibanez model head to head with it.

But it's true, the ibanez fanboys will recommend the 1570, while the jackson fanboys will recommend the randy rhoads.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually changing pickups and trem would be around the same cost. A OFR will be $180. Changing HSH could cost around $200, varying depending on models
^ aye. Assuming the trem is a direct swap (and I think it is, but I'm not 100% on it). I think the ibanez is a better quality guitar, though.

But yeah, I agree, assuming the trem's a direct swap, it's not really sound to say "it's easier to swap pickups than the trem". It is if it's not a direct swap (if you suck at DIY).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the RR3. Upperfret access isn't great, or good for that matter. I'd say your going to have to play them head to head to decide like dave said. I played an RG1570 and I wasn't mad on it. It was probably slightly better than my rhoads spec wise etc. But I perfer the Jackson neck to the Ibanez Wizard ones and I hate dot inlays. So...yeah try them both out It's going to be more of a personal choice.
Quote by McLeet
i hate rr guitars and dont like ibanez guitars.

Man that was very helpful if you have no good input just shut up and dont post.

OK on to the topic. I prefer Jacksons over Ibanezs but with those models the RG is the better choice.

Id take a 1570 over a RR3 because its cheaper for a pick up switch then a floyd switch i think the RR3 will need routing to but im not 100%. also RG has a better neck and better bolt on hence better fret access. and its of higher quality build.

though i would take a RR 1t over the 1570 buts its a 2000 Dollar guitar if you have a chance play the Jackson RR1s they are amazing and IMO blow a RG out of the water. But the RG will blow the RR3 out of the water.

I know i rambled but i think i got my point across hope it helped
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^ yeah, but if you're willing to go to $2000, you wouldn't be putting a 1570 up against an RR1, you'd be putting a j-custom up against an RR1. Which in my opinion is better than the rr1. though again, that's preference, and if I were blowing $2000 on a guitar, I'd probably get a custom build.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^YA i would to if i had 2000 or just buy one used off ebay for 1000 USD.

But with 2000 for a guitar i think i wqould hit up Ran guitars and get a Custom Explorer or V for like 1500 damn those things are pretty
^ aye. Dunno if I'd go Ran, i don't think they allow enough customisation for my liking, but yeah, if you're willing to go to that price, you should be at least willing to look into the idea of a custom guitar, even if you don't go for it in the end, in my opinion.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
YA i think the same way Dave. When i talked to the guys at ran about it, because im saving up for a custom guitar, they accomadated all my needs perfectly what were you asking that they wouldnt do?
^ i didn't ask, it was just going by the site. They didn't have a very wide range of pickups and hardware etc., and I'm not sure I was too fussed by the shapes etc. either. They seemed very metal, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh ya your more of a rock guy thats right. Ya but im a metalhead so i guess its just all preference.

^ well, basically, I play a little of everything, from cleans through to modern metal. I'm kind of a metalhead compared to indie kids, but yeah, you're right, compared to the tr00 metallers, I'm more a rocker. So yeah, the Rans are a bit too metal-looking for me.

EDIT: ah, I knew there was something I didn't like about them. The nut is too narrow. You can specify it on a custom model, but I assume that'd lose you the good value of the standard models. Might be worth a look, though. They're Polish, right? That means no customs, then, since they joined the EU about a year ago.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 6, 2006,
METAL FTW lol ya i know what you mean i dabble in a little of everything. But i need a new amp so i can hit certain tones a little bit better probably gonna end up with a Mesa Mark they just so sexy but i dont know.
Ibanez....

Jackson has a ****ty LFR, and those duncans arent much better than the V pups in the Ibanez...... Every time i play duncans im dissapointed. Im used to my dimarzios

The jackson has ****ty LFR, a thicker neck than the ibanez, bad upper fret access and only 22 frets......

I think its clear who's the winner here.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
personally, ive played both when i was looking for a guitar and i picked the jackson rr3 because i thought it had better sound and i liked the neck more. so in my opinion try them out and see which one you like, but i recomend the rr3
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
well you should know Classic that some people like fatter necks, but hey, to each their own
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Quote by Dave_Mc
this is my opinion, but the ibanez is better all-round quality than the Randy rhoads

O rly? The RR3 is japanese made and afaik, as long as its not Korean anything by jackson kicks ass.

, has much better upper fret access

Better acess than a flying V? You have to be ****ting me, dude.

and comes with a hard case.

Okay, you got me there.. it 'comes with a case.'

also, the single coil would be nice to have if you play blues. It does have pretty rubbish pickups, but then that means you can swap them for your personal choice (rather than the Jackson CEO's personal choice to make them the most money) of pickups without feeling bad about wasting some of your money on stock name-brand pickups.

Firstly, you can split humbuckers and they sound just as good as a ****ty middle single coil for blues... I prefer the neck/mid combination with really hot pickups for blues, and you get the same tone from a split humbucker on the neck or from the bottom and top coils from the neck and bridge respectively, therefore your arguement is basically preference due to the guitar of your choice having a middle single.

Second, You can swap pickups out regardless of how 'rubbish' they are, and there is a CEO at Ibanez, and that CEO also chooses for 'rubbish' pickups to be put into Ibanez just as much as the CEO at jackson's "personal choice" to rip you off... High end jacksons get decent pickups just as high end Ibanez do, the low end models such as RG1570s get ****ty mass-produced economy pickups, just like low end jacksons get duncan designed pickups.

Basically, your arguement makes no sense and is hypocritical at best, if not erroneous as a whole.

The ibanez has a better trem too.

So yeah, IMO, ibanez. I always think I like Jacksons, until I try a similarly-priced Ibanez model head to head with it.

But it's true, the ibanez fanboys will recommend the 1570, while the jackson fanboys will recommend the randy rhoads.

I hardly say the ibanez trem is any better because I've broke two of them whereas I've had no problems with LFR or OFRs.. and I'm gentle with them! Keep kissing ibanez ass, fanboy..

BTW: I don't like Vs in general, much less jackson Vs.
jackson necks are thicker than ibanez but only by a little, and they are still thin necks. Just because they're not as thin as possible, doesn't mean they're bad. It's all preference. Some prefer thick necks like LP's/ Schecters

as far as replacing LFR w/ OFR, I've read that they are direct swap, which would mean no routing necessary.

like i've said before replacing trem and pickups will cost about the same. If anything the pickups will cost more depending on combinations.
Quote by The 1
jackson necks are thicker than ibanez but only by a little, and they are still thin necks. Just because they're not as thin as possible, doesn't mean they're bad. It's all preference. Some prefer thick necks like LP's/ Schecters

as far as replacing LFR w/ OFR, I've read that they are direct swap, which would mean no routing necessary.

like i've said before replacing trem and pickups will cost about the same. If anything the pickups will cost more depending on combinations.

Well a pickup change for the ibanez will cost more.. jacksons LFR swap directly with the correct OFR...

Neck thickness is a preference, and in my opinion an excuse for sloppy guitar playing (oh this neck isnt as thin as my ibanez so ic an't play as fast) I still prefer my standard strat over every other guitar I've played, it just feels more natural even though I learned on an original wizard neck. Less hand cramps.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
(a) O rly? The RR3 is japanese made and afaik, as long as its not Korean anything by jackson kicks ass.

(b) Better acess than a flying V? You have to be ****ting me, dude.

(c) Okay, you got me there.. it 'comes with a case.'

(d) Firstly, you can split humbuckers and they sound just as good as a ****ty middle single coil for blues... I prefer the neck/mid combination with really hot pickups for blues, and you get the same tone from a split humbucker on the neck or from the bottom and top coils from the neck and bridge respectively, therefore your arguement is basically preference due to the guitar of your choice having a middle single.

(e) Second, You can swap pickups out regardless of how 'rubbish' they are, and there is a CEO at Ibanez, and that CEO also chooses for 'rubbish' pickups to be put into Ibanez just as much as the CEO at jackson's "personal choice" to rip you off... High end jacksons get decent pickups just as high end Ibanez do, the low end models such as RG1570s get ****ty mass-produced economy pickups, just like low end jacksons get duncan designed pickups.

(f) Basically, your arguement makes no sense and is hypocritical at best, if not erroneous as a whole.

(g) I hardly say the ibanez trem is any better because I've broke two of them whereas I've had no problems with LFR or OFRs.. and I'm gentle with them! Keep kissing ibanez ass, fanboy..

(h) BTW: I don't like Vs in general, much less jackson Vs.

(a) it's noticeably worse quality than the ibanez prestiges, IMO. it doesn't matter where it's made, it's the quality that matters. Jackson have a USA arm for their top of the line guitars, so they make their japanese guitars lower quality to not cannibalise their higher up models. Ibby top of the range models are japanese, so they don't need to worry about cannibalism (though you could argue that their j-customs could be cannibalised if the prestiges were TOO good).

(b) nope, true- at least in my opinion. The rr3 rhoads has a bolt-on neck, with a really large non-AANJ bolt-on socket. If you're not used to AANJ, then you probably wouldn't notice/care, but if you are, you'll probably notice it. Or maybe not. But I did.

(c) agreed, coming with a case is hardly a reason to buy a guitar or not, but it's another very minor thing that might swing it if everything else was equal.

(d) it won't sound as good as a "true" single coil though. Fair enough, i agree it's down to my preference of having a single, but I think he said he wanted to play SRV, and, in my opinion at least, a middle single is almost a necessity for that.

But it's true, split 'buckers will sound decent for blues. I use my neck pickup on its own for blues too (it's very low output though), but I like having a single too.

he said he wanted versatility, and in my opinion, having a middle single i more versatile than not having it.

(e) agreed, I was just making the point that since ibanez are using worse pickups, maybe more of the cash is going into the wood and construction. Of course you could use the argument that maybe that extra money is just going into the ibanez case...

Those cheaper japanese jacksons just felt like a cheaper guitar fitted with duncans to try to sell more. In my opinion of course.

(f) part of it made sense.

(g) fair enough. I disagree that I'm a fanboy though. I have no intention of buying any more Ibanez guitars, I'm not fussed on the korean ones at all, I just think the rg1570 is one of the best value shred guitars on the market. A lot of that is personal preference, liking the neck etc.

(h) again, fair enough.

wow, i've missed these. keep 'em coming, geno!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(i guess he said blues, not SRV. that must have been another thread- i can't edit or my computer will crash)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ aye. Assuming the trem is a direct swap (and I think it is, but I'm not 100% on it). I think the ibanez is a better quality guitar, though.

But yeah, I agree, assuming the trem's a direct swap, it's not really sound to say "it's easier to swap pickups than the trem". It is if it's not a direct swap (if you suck at DIY).

Quote by Syn Harvest
Man that was very helpful if you have no good input just shut up and dont post.

OK on to the topic. I prefer Jacksons over Ibanezs but with those models the RG is the better choice.

Id take a 1570 over a RR3 because its cheaper for a pick up switch then a floyd switch i think the RR3 will need routing to but im not 100%. also RG has a better neck and better bolt on hence better fret access. and its of higher quality build.

though i would take a RR 1t over the 1570 buts its a 2000 Dollar guitar if you have a chance play the Jackson RR1s they are amazing and IMO blow a RG out of the water. But the RG will blow the RR3 out of the water.

I know i rambled but i think i got my point across hope it helped

lmao you basically copied what davemc said...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Aug 7, 2006,
yeah ive been a rabid jackson fan for a while and have played the rr3 i own a dinky and love it but quality wise the ibanez would probably be better for the price (ouch that hurt to say)
Quote by 6WS
haha, that is going to be the biggest p*ssy magnet since the keyboard neck tie.