I have this Squier Strat, the standard black one with a white pickguard, and well, I want to change the pickguard anyway. I have some beautiful ones in mind, but before I change my pickguard, I would like to exchange my bridge single coil for a humbucker (so that it has the same setup as the Fat Strats). Of course I will get a matching pickguard.
My question here is - can I just replace a single coil pickup with a humbucker? (I'm thinking about a passive one, so no battery-harrasment.) Can I use the same cabling?
I haven't ever opened up my guitar before, so I'm wondering as well, if there is room for a humbucker, in the body, where there is a single coil now.

All help would be appreciated.
You can, but from my experience you are better off buying some wire and rewiring the whole thing. My Squier Affinity series strat (I did the same thing, put a humbucker in the bridge) was horribly wired. They are swimming-pool routed though, which means that there will be plenty of room for it. The only issue I ran into was when I put my humbucker in (DiMarzio X2N), the routing wasn't deep enough. It has been sitting for over a year duct taped to the body beneath the pickguard. You can't route it out anymore, because there is only a small amount of wood between the pickup routing and the tremelo. You may or may not run into this problem, but be aware. The screws for the pickups were about 1/4 inch too long, so I thought I would screw it into the wood itself and put something in so that it would just spin in place, effectively adjusting pickup height... but I never got around to it so it remains duct taped.
Quote by bornfidelity
I have this Squier Strat, the standard black one with a white pickguard, and well, I want to change the pickguard anyway. I have some beautiful ones in mind, but before I change my pickguard, I would like to exchange my bridge single coil for a humbucker (so that it has the same setup as the Fat Strats). Of course I will get a matching pickguard.
My question here is - can I just replace a single coil pickup with a humbucker? (I'm thinking about a passive one, so no battery-harrasment.) Can I use the same cabling?
I haven't ever opened up my guitar before, so I'm wondering as well, if there is room for a humbucker, in the body, where there is a single coil now.

All help would be appreciated.

Do it! It'll be so easy since most Squier Strats, the recent ones at least, have HSH routing. This means you can install buckers in the bridge AND neck, if you wanted.

Basic steps:
1. Loosen strings
2. Unscrew the 4 bolts from the neck plate
3. Unscrew the 11 PG screws.
4. Unscrew the 2 holding the jackplate.
5. Remove the back trem cover (6 screws)
6. De-solder the connection to the trem claw
7. De-solder the 2 wires connected to the jack plate
8. Now you can pull out the wired PickGuard

You can buy the 30 watt Soldering Kit from RadioShack for $7 or so. Good Luck!
Ok, thanks a lot ^^
I already have soldering equipment, I have done cables etc.
I think this is the scheme of my Squier: http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierSTRATFromSTRA5C5.pdf

The only issue I ran into was when I put my humbucker in (DiMarzio X2N), the routing wasn't deep enough. It has been sitting for over a year duct taped to the body beneath the pickguard. You can't route it out anymore, because there is only a small amount of wood between the pickup routing and the tremelo. You may or may not run into this problem, but be aware. The screws for the pickups were about 1/4 inch too long, so I thought I would screw it into the wood itself and put something in so that it would just spin in place, effectively adjusting pickup height... but I never got around to it so it remains duct taped.

You don't make sense, or my English is not good enough for this :/ (yeah I'm from Holland).
You mean the screws are so long you cant put them in so you had to tape the humbucker to the body? lol...