ok i thought i already understood when to use the relative minor, but just recently i got confused again, i think i forgot something. like when do i use it? like lets say A and F#. do i play the F#minor pentatonic over an A progression when i want it to sound more like rock? or what? or why not just use the A minor pentatonic?
The reason you can't just play in a minor is because you're playing in A major, the notes are different. Its a different key. The reason F# minor would work is because it is the relative minor of A major. What this means, is that all the notes in F# minor are the same notes as in A major if you started playing on F#. The only differnce with that is that you play all 7 notes in the natural minor scale, as opposed to the pentatonic where you drop the 2nd and 6th to give it only 5 notes in the scale.
ok thank you... the A major F# minor is what got me... cuz i remember hearing that if you play like in A major over a major progression, it will you know sound majory, but you can switch to F# (something) and get the rock sound, but i had forgotten if it was A major, F# minor, F# major, etc. so thanks for helping clear that up.