Ive always wondered this since i started playing guitar, my question is how did the best guitars in the world get to where they are now in terms of playing?

Obvisouly it's practise practise but how did people like Saul Hudson (Slash) (who is an idol to me) get that good? I read that when he was 13 years old he got his first guitar with one string on it and practised and practised but what did he practise? He must of got lessons at some point surely?
Dedication. A lot of famous guitarist grew up with nothing but a guitar so thats all they had to past the time.
well you always get lessons, whether its in the form of formal teaching or you noticing that certain notes sound better together than others, or by jamming with people better than you. all they did was practice, listen to music, jam with people, compose music, and practice some more. they just play
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Dedication. A lot of famous guitarist grew up with nothing but a guitar so thats all they had to past the time.

Exactly
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
OMG! You didnt know? All the greatest guitarists in the world got to where they are by eating the magic mushrooms growing in your backyard. Hurry up or they'll all be gone!
THEY'RE BORN WITH IT! NOBODY CAN LEARN TO BE THAT GOOD.

but seriously. i mean Jimi Hendrix as a kid always had his guitar with him. he wore it to school, didnt he? i mean cmon. thats how they got good. they had a passion for guitar. sure, you can dedicate yourself, but you are probably not going to get that good unless you have a passion! they live... liiiive. for guitar. you must love your guitar more than anything else in your life if you wanna be that good. oh and by love your guitar, not like your actual guitar, i mean playing guitar. dont act like "oh, my guitar is my baby" and all that crap. guitars are only as good as the person who plays them.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
guitars are only as good as the person who plays them.

Unless you feed them magic mushrooms..
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
THEY'RE BORN WITH IT! NOBODY CAN LEARN TO BE THAT GOOD.

but seriously. i mean Jimi Hendrix as a kid always had his guitar with him. he wore it to school, didnt he? i mean cmon. thats how they got good. they had a passion for guitar. sure, you can dedicate yourself, but you are probably not going to get that good unless you have a passion! they live... liiiive. for guitar. you must love your guitar more than anything else in your life if you wanna be that good. oh and by love your guitar, not like your actual guitar, i mean playing guitar. dont act like "oh, my guitar is my baby" and all that crap. guitars are only as good as the person who plays them.

Fortunately, this isn't the case. You can become a very good guitar player and still live a normal life!

You do have to practise though. Practise songs, by tab, notation, or ear. Practise scales, learn theory, enjoy the instrument! Get consumed by playing fast.....Realize that you don't need to though. Maybe get curious about arpeggios.....What about chromatics? Hmm.... Tension and release? How? Ooo......That's nice.....

Musicians often don't set final goal for themselves. It's not as epic as you might think. You will just keep getting carried away with things, which is great. This will increase your skill.....Then you will look for new things that are at par with your ability, and so on, and you may not even notice you are really improving!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
You must understand a lot of these guys practice insane hours everyday. I remember reading an article about Mark Tremonti and he said he would practice 3 hours on a bad day. (Meaning on a good day he'd be goin at it like 9-5 lol maybe)

Part of it is natural talent, part of it is their hard work. Another part is their practice routines. Some people just play songs over and over, or just part of songs and move on. For the good guitarists they go over scales and warm ups. They have all these excersizes to improve picking speed, finger strength, agility ect..

Time and dedication my friend. Play what you love and it won't become a chore.
Quote by Jono19872006
Obvisouly it's practise practise but how did people like Saul Hudson (Slash) (who is an idol to me) get that good? I read that when he was 13 years old he got his first guitar with one string on it and practised and practised but what did he practise? He must of got lessons at some point surely?

He just played. Simple. I actually had a broken electric with two strings for ages which I just played stuff on. I practised legato and stuff without actually playing anything very specific, I just enjoyed making music even within that limited range, without any theory at all. All you need to do is play, whether your guitar has one string or twelve doesn't matter much.

And I don't believe Slash ever took very many lessons, hence his difficult to imitate style; he doesn't follow any rules.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
The only way to become better is to play. Using resources such as the UG forums can help to make learning guitar more interesting, since it has resources and such to help you along the way. Many people stop playing guitar simply because they dont see themsleves making progress. You need to engross yourself in the world of music. Learn all that you can, cause chances are if you do, it'll make learning how to play all the more interesting. And also a thing many people forget is that just cause you happen to learn guitar slower than someone else doesn't mean you suck or anything.