ok, i probly sound really stupid and like a noob at guitar, but im not, but whats the difference between active pickups and pickups that arnt active??
i'm actually curious myself.. i think active pick-ups use batteries or something, don't know why though.
stolen from http://www.elevation-music.com/guqu.html:
Simply put, active pickups are those that have a circuit that requires battery power, whereas passive pickups don't require any additional power to operate. However, this simple difference can mean a lot to your guitar's tone and overall output.

Passive Pickups: Passive pickups send a low output, raw signal to the amp that can only be affected by the volume and tone controls on the instrument itself. Passive pickups tend to lose the extremes of high and low frequencies, but still give a very even and punchy tone. This is because passive pickups tend to push out more midrange frequencies. While passive pickups might give players less dynamic control, their smooth sound is still very unique and desirable.

Active Pickups: Active pickups have preamps that are built into the pickup housing; so they can drive the signal to the amp themselves. This preamp must be powered by a source other than the amp, so active pickups require a separate battery to operate. This allows the pickup to send a higher output signal, producing a more complete, full-range sound than most passive pickup systems and giving players more control of instrument dynamics, projection and tone.
The most basic difference is that active electronics require a 9V battery to power them, while passives do not. EMG active pickups have an internal preamp for higher output and noise cancellation. Active pickups have decent tone, but it seems a bit cold and shallow in comparison with Seymour Duncans, per se.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
I can't give you the technical explanation, but, in simple terms, active pickups use a battery. Passive pickups do not.
Quote by fireman464
I can't give you the technical explanation, but, in simple terms, active pickups use a battery. Passive pickups do not.

ok that doesnt really help, but the other people did help thnx