I've never played one before, but I heard they arent any good. I want a marshall, but the only price range i can afford is a mg30. Are the mg's any good if you run them through some pedals, and is 30 watts loud enough for small venues? PLEASE HELP!!!
Waaaaayyyy overpriced, you can get better for the same price, much better. (I'm not saying they're any good in the first place)
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
MG's have horrible tone, you could do so much better (stay away from Spider II's also, i didnt listen )
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
no no no no no, they're terrible, i honestly, really...honestly, didn't think they were bad, until i played one, the overdrive on it (bear in mind i had it turned way up cuase i was in guitar center and it was very very loud) the overdrive sounded cold and lifeless, and i have nothing against practice amps, i have a randall 20W practice amp i love just as much as my bigger ones, if you really need a 30W amp, try the Vox Valvetronics, it sounds very good, and i believe they are pretty reasonable on price
I don't know what you're talking about. I've never heard of MG's being bad.
I've got an MG50 and I love it to death.
If you're playing small venues, a 30 might not be enough but that all depends on what type of music you're playing and how big is a small venue.
Carpe Diem Baby
No way, what you mean is you want a Marshall sound. MG amps do not sound at all like a classic Marshall, the distortion absolutely sucks, it's like a washed out fuzz. I use a distortion pedal and it sounds OK through the clean channel. The "FDD" feature is pretty good, it makes the MG's sound a lot better than a normal solid state amp, but still nothing special. They are good value for money but really only practice amp quality. 30 Watts might be loud enough for small venues if your drummer isn't too loud and you will find it distorts like hell on the clean channel when you have the volume high. There are better amps that sound more like a Marshall around the same price range. Don't buy a cheap Marshal.
i found the distortion to be terrible as well.
i have played the mg microstack up to the 100 combo, and they all sounded bad.
clean was passable, but they must have mucked something up on the gain circuit.
[edit] washed out fuzz describes it perfectly.
Last edited by user42 at Aug 5, 2006,
Vox Valvetronix AD30, check it out, or go for 50 watts if you have the money. Also look into Roland Cube 30/60
They are good...just because people say they know tone doesn't mean they do.

Marshall MGs have a good versatile tone and they do sound great when run through just about any pedal.

I personally have 2-3 MGs in my studio and I use them more than any others.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top w/ Seymour Duncans
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top w/ Dimarzios
Peavey Windsor Halfstack
MXR Distortion III
Dunlop Jazz 3 picks (Red)
DR Tite-fit 10's
Monster Cables
The Half Stack I played had a bad hum when turned up to about 1/3 the way. Also, it does not have a handle or something
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
Go Crate or Peavey if you gotta go cheap man.

I had to play an MG50 at a Battle of the Bands and I got in a fight with the owner cuz I asked him why he even bothered to rent the hunk of junk that clearly didn't work in a band environment in the first place. This was way back when I had my Peavey Transtube, which I don't even consider great anymore.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by the_white_bunny
zak wylde plays them when he pratices.

Does that make them good? No. Plus, we all know Marshall payed him a boatload of money to endorse them, because they wouldn't sell shit otherwise...
dont buy it. i bought the 30 and i thought it was not good. a pedal makes it better but its a waste of money. but a peavey or a crate.
Quote by Pulling Teeth
Vox Valvetronix AD30, check it out, or go for 50 watts if you have the money. Also look into Roland Cube 30/60

I second that...
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
Hey if they are good enough for Zakk Wylde they are good enough for me.

But on another note I find it funny that Line 6 advertises teh spider 2 on Ug.
What's wrong with the mg? everything.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
god i'm surprised my name hasn't come up yet =D

that wasn't an invitation!!
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
They indeed suck, but a lot of people bash them more than needs be, because its the "in" thing to do.

I bought a MG15 at a pawn shop for $50, once. Didn't fail on me, sure it didn't sound like a $150 amp, but it was either that or some pos 5w no name mini amp.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
can you tell me somthing good about the amp?

quality? no
sound? no

however it does have a nice shade of black and the knobs do turn quite well for being such a bad amp
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by cubedeathk
Hey if they are good enough for Zakk Wylde they are good enough for me.

So I take it you believe Zakk Wylde when he says "The MG sounds totally slamming, the overdrive is crushing."
Last edited by mpt37 at Aug 5, 2006,
Quote by Gorilla Fingers
They are good...just because people say they know tone doesn't mean they do.

Marshall MGs have a good versatile tone and they do sound great when run through just about any pedal.

I personally have 2-3 MGs in my studio and I use them more than any others.

why did you type all that out, wouldn't a quick shot to the head be a much quicker, less painful way to die.

Hey I'm not gonna flame you but man. There are somethings you just don't say on UG unless you just WANT to get flamed.
"the marshall mg sucks...please buy it to give me money, so i can buy some booze...n00b"
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
the problem is that the distortion just does not have the balls i hoped for. i heard my friend played it and i liked it but then i got mine and i tried it and it was like....yuck. im planning on getting a Boss DS-1 or maybe a BOss Superoverdrive pedal to help it out.

i can get good metal distortion out of it but punk rock distortion is almost impossible. ive been reduced to using Marshall User Manuel Presets.

now a question...what Marshall has the balls? what Marshall actually kicks ass. **** the price range...what Marshall is good?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
the marshall jcm 2000...a bit pricy but it is a really really great amp
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
the bottom one is just a refurbished version of the combo

and the top 2 are the same thing, just the top one is the stack and the 2nd one is the combo
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by happytimeharry
Does that make them good? No. Plus, we all know Marshall payed him a boatload of money to endorse them, because they wouldn't sell shit otherwise...

True, my friend bought a mode4 just because it was pictured with zakk
JCM800's boosted into metal pwn. DSL's pwn, though the tone is very subjective.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
that JCM 2000 looks like its got some SERIOUS balls.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12