Page 1 of 2
long time bout my stupid threads .

hope u don't flame but i just want to discuss bout the 80's.

was the 80's bout Hair and make-up or bout real good music ?

were good musicians accepted by music fans in the 80's for thier talents or just good shows of lights,smokes,make-ups etc... ?

DISCUSS
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
I think it was about having fun.

A good time party kind of thing.

Sure, some of the bands were a parody of rock stardom, and others became that parody over time...

but there were good bands and good players all throughout.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
but the 80's were G'N'R , Poison,Twisted Sister and that hair metal ****.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

Slash is not a good guitarist?

Dokken is a good band, i still put thier music on from time to time.

It was a lot of bands, not all of them were hair and make-up.

There was Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden.... i could go on...

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
i know but people didn't appreciate Impellitteri,Racer X etc... like the make-up bands.

and yeah slash is good but not my cup of tea.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

A lot of good bands in that era didn't get the recognition they deserved. Same as any other era.

I always liked Savatage, and Metal Church. but they didn't go big time.

*shrug*

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
Quote by Ampeg J
A lot of good bands in that era didn't get the recognition they deserved. Same as any other era.

*cough*80's Death Metal*cough*Morbid Angel*cough*
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by Ampeg J

I always liked Savatage, and Metal Church. but they didn't go big time.

*shrug*

Yeah those two bands are severely underated. They rule.

Technical ability/good musicians were more recognised in the 80's then they were before and after that time.
I can't stand that Motley Crue bull****. I've gotta say though, there was more good guitar playing in the mainstream then than now, even if I hate the style. Who gives a **** about the mainstream anyway, it's well known that you aren't going to find musicianship in popular trendy music.
Quote by SickMetal
I can't stand that Motley Crue bull****. I've gotta say though, there was more good guitar playing in the mainstream then than now, even if I hate the style. Who gives a **** about the mainstream anyway, it's well known that you aren't going to find musicianship in popular trendy music.

why?
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
I think he's talking about the not liking Motley Crue part, I personally don't like them except Live Wire, but he's probably asking if you don't like them because of the music or the image.
I sadly wasn't around in the 80s, but the 80s for sure was the best era for music, there isn't too much 80s music that I can't listen to.

Plus the fashion then as well....the 80s was great for music and fashion, bad for STDs and unemployment.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
^ yeah thats my point.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

the 80s were about sex drugs and copying off of other bands

but alot of good bands came out oof the 80s
The 80's were like the sh!tstorm of metal where like all of the sub-genres started coming out from the pioneering sounds of Sabbath, Deep Purple & Zeppelin. Without that era, metal wouldn't be what it is today...

However, I do see what u mean by "the looks/show overpower the music". But that was more of a hair metal thing, where all of the members thought they were God's gift to women. Most of the other bands were either good or well...not so good, just not recognized for it due to the mainstream (remember this was also when disco made a big comeback & reggae was pretty big too)

Like most music imo, to get the best, u gotta go for the undergorund-ey stuff, where $<music most of the time. But hey, that's just my view on this whole thing...
i dont know if anybody else will agree with me on this one but music was ALOT better in the 80's. nowdays ALL singers sound THE SAME. all this ****in emo bull****. i dont wanna listen to band ****in scream like hell into a microphone and make pussy cry baby bull**** songs. i can ****in stand "rock" theses days. now i will admit there is some "newer" bands that i like. but music is slowly going straight down the drain.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by voxdude26
i dont know if anybody else will agree with me on this one but music was ALOT better in the 80's. nowdays ALL singers sound THE SAME. all this ****in emo bull****. i dont wanna listen to band ****in scream like hell into a microphone and make pussy cry baby bull**** songs. i can ****in stand "rock" theses days. now i will admit there is some "newer" bands that i like. but music is slowly going straight down the drain.

Oh please. Like there wasn't just as much crap around 30 years ago.

Thing is, the bands that were crap 40, 30 and 20 years ago noone knows anymore and only the decent ones remain in our collective memory thus giving the impression music is constantly getting worse.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Plus he missed out the fact that most "emo" bands are influenced by these 80s bands, also emo kinda started out in the late 80s...so really most of what he said sucked balls.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Quote by Resiliance

Thing is, the bands that were crap 40, 30 and 20 years ago noone knows anymore and only the decent ones remain in our collective memory thus giving the impression music is constantly getting worse.

that's very true: who'd wanna remember all the crap bands anyways?

the same's gonna happen in 30 years from now when people who'll be our age at that time will hear all of the great bands that stand out (and consequently never hear the sh!tty ones) and say "man, the 00's were awesome for music!"

It's like one of those paradox things where history repeats itself time & time again...
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
Plus he missed out the fact that most "emo" bands are influenced by these 80s bands, also emo kinda started out in the late 80s...so really most of what he said sucked balls.

if you think about it alot of emo bands are alot like hair metal bands and to be honest some of them have way better and more thought out songs but i still choose hair metal over emo any day

i know im going to get flamed for this but hey its the truth
^^ I agree with that some hair metal bands were just lame.

Lets face it, it's a fad for people to slay emo, I'm willing to bet half the people who call emo haven't actually heard any.

Although lets not turn this into an emo argument.
Back on topic, Duran Duran were a great 80s group.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen

Lets face it, it's a fad for people to slay emo

Thank god... Now all we need is to make dragonforce slaying a fad
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Hair/glam bands weren't anything special. Just because the guitarists were "better" doesn't mean the songwriting was. Eighties hair bands wrote the shallowest music since disco. If hair bands were really all that great, it wouldn't have just died once grunge hit the scene. People were rightly sick of the all style no substance and androgyny crap. Notice that now it isn't as easy to point to a genre of music and say "THAT is the predominant style of music," whereas in the 80s mainstream you had hair bands and pop crap like Madonna and Michael Jackson. And you make it sound like the 80s was some decade where music fans were somehow more intelligent or whatever. Nonsense. Yngwie Malmsteen still wasn't mainstream, neither was Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, any of the instrumentalists. The only reason so many people know of Eddie Van Halen is because of his band, not because of his talent. David Lee Roth was a damn good dumb songwriter (the songs were dumb, not him).
Hi, I'm Peter
Eddie van halen influenced a generation of guitarists thats why people liked van halen in that time.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Dirk Gently
Hair/glam bands weren't anything special. Just because the guitarists were "better" doesn't mean the songwriting was. Eighties hair bands wrote the shallowest music since disco. If hair bands were really all that great, it wouldn't have just died once grunge hit the scene. People were rightly sick of the all style no substance and androgyny crap. Notice that now it isn't as easy to point to a genre of music and say "THAT is the predominant style of music," whereas in the 80s mainstream you had hair bands and pop crap like Madonna and Michael Jackson. And you make it sound like the 80s was some decade where music fans were somehow more intelligent or whatever. Nonsense. Yngwie Malmsteen still wasn't mainstream, neither was Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, any of the instrumentalists. The only reason so many people know of Eddie Van Halen is because of his band, not because of his talent. David Lee Roth was a damn good dumb songwriter (the songs were dumb, not him).

i agree with all that except saying michael jackson was crap
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
Eddie van halen influenced a generation of guitarists thats why people liked van halen in that time.

You mean that's why guitarists liked him. He was flashy. He tapped. "You mean it's just that easy to play fast? WOW!" People in general couldn't care less about technical ability. Why would they? Your statement almost doesn't make sense.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Resiliance

Well bands like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and all that junk will be remembered, I assure you.

Music is getting worse.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by Resiliance
Thank god... Now all we need is to make dragonforce slaying a fad

all in good time my friend...
shifting topic a bit.....

do you guys consider Skid Row and Quiet Riot a hair band?
Member #21 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the "...Still Waiting For The VAMPIRE Holocaust" club. PM me to join.
Quote by waylay00
Well bands like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and all that junk will be remembered, I assure you.

Music is getting worse.

Much like Menudo and New Kids on the Block will still be remembered in a few decades.

There will always be great music and crappy music; nothing's really changing. It's just that the garbage is more likely to be pushed out of memory.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7

Eddie Van Halen was one of the worst "guitar gods" ever imo. I hate him and most of his music. Emo music can be OK depending on how much you listen to it and which bands you listen to. I hate the emo "style" as it is. The 80s was about the show, but usually some of the bands could pull off a great show with great musicianship.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
80's about show? Well it depends on what bands, but then again.... that's probably why most of the 80's videos are like live and stuff...
Member #21 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the "...Still Waiting For The VAMPIRE Holocaust" club. PM me to join.
Or WASP videos, which are all pretty damn ace...man I love WASP.
you know I hate when bands such as Maiden, 'tallica, Megadeth, other death, thrash and heavy metal bands get lumped into the "80's metal" category... that is just wrong. they might have originated or been at the forefront during the 80's but when someone says "80's metal" - I think GnR, Cindrella, Poison, Mr. Big, Twisted Sister and such....

and yea some were good, some just cashed in on the 80's counterculture and image, nothing more to it...
Quote by NevermorePsalm
Eddie Van Halen was one of the worst "guitar gods" ever imo. I hate him and most of his music. Emo music can be OK depending on how much you listen to it and which bands you listen to. I hate the emo "style" as it is. The 80s was about the show, but usually some of the bands could pull off a great show with great musicianship.

I agree to a certain extent, although I don't hate him

EVH always seemed like a one-trick pony that expected people to ride his tapping technique for like 30 years...

That first album he released w/ Van Halen was great and all, but after that, it was all downhill...
Quote by waylay00

Music is getting worse.

'fraid I still don't agree.

Click.
Page 1 of 2