no not really...i just need some help....

i installed EMGS today...everything is correct according to the diagram i followed....but i get nothing...no signal or anything....what should i check for to fix this problem?
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
are the batteries and **** all hooked up, do u have a battery? i hate being obvious like this but with all the excitement of new pups and stuff u could have forgoten it
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
actually, the battery is in, and after i used the gutiar [to test to see if it worked] the battery was extremely hot

Quote by Homer Simpson
it sounds like you may have put the batteries in backwards, make sure their in the right way, some of the battery snaps nowadays are really wierd. I know my friends ibanez bass died that way.
well it takes a 9 volt battery...so i cant really put it in backwards you know?

edit: yea the volume is up lol

Quote by Homer Simpson
check it still, there are ways to put those little suckers in backwards, otherwise the battery really shouldn't be getting that hot. Can you put a pic of the control cavity up? And just to make sure you are using the potentiometers that emg supplied with it?
Quote by flesh fries
actually, the battery is in, and after i used the gutiar [to test to see if it worked] the battery was extremely hot

It could be a short circuit making the battery hot. Check that none of the wires are exposed or touching eachother.
Im no electronics expert but Ive done some Industrial eletrical. If the power source (in your case the battery) is hot when you check it then something regulating the voltage output of the component (in this case the pickup) is messed up. You've either got a wire going to the wrong place, or, worst case scenario, the pup is damaged in some way. A 9V battery, when wired properly, doesnt put out enough voltage output to cause heat, or enough heat for you to tell anyway. Make sure all your wires are hooked up properly and none cross or touch. Check all the components to make sure there hooked up and installed properly. And if all else fails take it to a tech to make sure its done right, and if its indeed the pickup then they should be able to trouble shoot it without voiding the warranty on it and be able to get you a new one.
well...i just experimented a little and this is what happened:

i switched the connector around...[to the pickups themselves...i just unhooked it, turned it upside down and put it in...i guess i did it wrong because it didnt look like the pic] and i put my cable in...and i got sound..but only whent the guitar ccable is in the input halfway...and evne then, the pickup selector and the pots dont do anything....any advice?

Quote by Homer Simpson
well..im not sure if this is a problem or not...but the cable coming form the battery has to be soldered to the red cables coming from the pickups...what i did is took the cables from the pickups and spun them together so sodering would be easier....was that a bad idea or does it not matter? i figured it wouldnt seeing how it was all going to be soldered to the same cable anyway

Quote by Homer Simpson
nice thread title you have there, maybe just put something about the problem with you guitar instead? might look less of a dick....
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
soldering the 2 red wires together shouldnt be a problem because the 2 lines will be connected together eventually if they both run to the hot wire of the battery connector. I know guys who do that all the time when building pedals and amps and as long as they run to the same lug or wire they will inevitabley cross anyway, and it never overloads there circuits. So that shouldnt be the cause of your problem. And I'm sure you read the enclosed diagram of how they should be wired, but its more then likely a generic diagram so you may want to check the EMG website and see if they give an guitar setup specific diagram. Maybe its wired wrong for your application, but since you said that the battery gets hot then I'm thinking it more of a problem with your wiring being crossed or something.
Quote by givemeaname
nice thread title you have there, maybe just put something about the problem with you guitar instead? might look less of a dick....

haha, sorry...people never read these things when i post them as "i need help"

as for the guy above me, ill take a look, thanks

Quote by Homer Simpson