Sorry if there's already 10 threads on this or something, I searched but have to leave in a little bit so I'm in a rush kinda.

My friend said he played an Epi Les Paul and he really like the shape and feel and everything, but he said he sorta wants a guitar for metal or shred. What's this guitar like?

The guitar is coming out (or already out) and supposedly it's geared for metal. Is this a gimmick or do they know what they're doing?
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Aug 6, 2006,
LP's are usually used for the rock genre but it can do metal, look at guitarist form bands like Mastodon, Trivium, Metallica. itll be hard to shred on cause of the real thick neck but it is possible. throw in some EMGs and it will schourch the earth!
get new pickups and its practically the best guitar for metal (great sustain, thin fast neck)
or some ibanez....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
dude nice SS avatar. my friend is a reinactor in the 9th SS unit Hofenstaufen or something. He's got all sorts of original helmets and uniforms. Sorry for being a bit off topic haha.

Anyway I think you can make a les paul suitable to play metal by changing the pickups and being able to shred...or just get a decent metal petal...Either way, all guitars can be used for metal really.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
not for shred thats what its like, heavy stuff sure, shred no, the neck is slow (not a bad thing) so its not good at all for shred, tell him to try an Ibanez RG

if ur rlly good at shred sure, but not if ur beggining, all guitars can be shred upon.
just buy an esp les paul there already set up for it 24 fret and some high output pu's im not a real fan of a guitar that can only cover one genre but i played one in my local music shop and i gotta say i was pretty impressed with the thing i think it had active emgs on it i think
ooo, sorry you guys. I didn't really explain it, but he said there's a new Les Paul coming out (or already out) called Heavy metal and supposedly it's geared towards metal already. Anyone heard about it?

PS-I'd like to get my hands on an SS helmet if he has an extra one or something he can sell for relatively cheap. In fact I might like any sort of stuff he could use getting rid of.
Last edited by Gman400 at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by Gman400
ooo, sorry you guys. I didn't really explain it, but he said there's a new Les Paul coming out (or already out) called Heavy metal and supposedly it's geared towards metal already. Anyone heard about it?

uh no, which brand, gibson? that would be the GT, epiphone i dunno...
what about the menace? les paul menace? that is for realyl heavy stuff, and it even looks heavy metal
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
what about the menace? les paul menace? that is for realyl heavy stuff, and it even looks heavy metal

lol, that came out a while ago, he says it just came out
Why am I the only one to suggest an LTD Eclipse? Kick ass finish, active EMGs and it's way cheaper than the gibson.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by CodySG
Why am I the only one to suggest an LTD Eclipse? Kick ass finish, active EMGs and it's way cheaper than the gibson.

because when people say les paul we automatically think gibson. personally i like the PRS Singlecut the best
Okay thanks for the help. I told him I'd recommend an ESP and to a lesser extent Ibanez or Jackson but he seems to be gravitating toward Gibson. I'll show him the Eclipse though; I really like those.
I've played a PRS Custom 24 and I'll say, once I'm rich I'll be picking up one
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!