i have a dual recto and an orange cab. the sound isnt really that great. i love the dual recto, im never gonna get rid of it, but i think the sound of the cab is just...muffled. what kind of cab do you recommend? (besides a mesa, which is my other option). im looking for a bassy sound, but i also want to be able to hear each note clear when distorted. suggestions?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
I would just go with your other option, a mesa cab.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Marshall AVT series, maybe a Peavy, dare I say it some of the Behringer cabs aren't too bad either, all depends on budget really.
i have no budget. haha. i work for my money so yeah.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
i have no budget. haha. i work for my money so yeah.

Ah, refreshing to find another non-mama's boy on UG. Well I guess if you've got no limit on cash, go for the Mesa I'd say, should deliver the tone you want.
the mesa will have a bassy, but still, clear sound when distorted? ive tried some out, but ive never really messed with it alot...
Quote by NeverMeant
Mesa or a Marshall 1960TV. I'm not sure how good your Recto would sound with Greenbacks. Basson makes an oversized cab that's stock with Eminence Legends for $450 or so that I've heard good things about and that I'm actually going to buy with my Orange AD30 once I get my hands on it.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I really wonder why you can't get the low end on your orange 4* 12 with v30's :S. If you live in the US, get an avatar cab. Load them with G12H30 or V30's and if you're in for some vintage tones you should ofcourse get the greenbacks.
definatly a mesa cab
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
I truely think you just have your Recto EQed bad...tbh. Before you buy a new cab try messing with your amp more. Turn the gain down, turn up the Treble a little bit...and CRANK the presence. If that still doesnt work for you...take your amp head to a shop and try out some different cabs with it...

[edit] also...turn off your effects loop...set it to ByPass and just use each channels individual Master Volumes. Plug your guitar straight into the amp, no pedals or effects. The problem could be anywhere. And its more than likely the way you have your amp set up. Dont scoop the mids, try keeping them at about 4.5-5. The Recto is a VERY tricky amp man...like Im really good with amps and it took me a solid 2-3 weeks to get a feel for it.
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by Weybl Himself
Marshall AVT series, maybe a Peavy, dare I say it some of the Behringer cabs aren't too bad either, all depends on budget really.

Dont give people bad advice.

If youve got that head, then u should really have a great cab to go with.

In my experience, the oversized Mesa cabs are great.
Marshalls with my pref of the 75's, some say V30's, im not keen.
Other cabs that would go well, Avatar or Vader
ya i would look into Vader Great Low End i dont like the Mesa Oversized personalli i think the low end is kind flabby while the vader is more tight and focused
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
[quote="[edit"] also...turn off your effects loop...set it to ByPass and just use each channels individual Master Volumes. Plug your guitar straight into the amp, no pedals or effects. The problem could be anywhere. And its more than likely the way you have your amp set up. Dont scoop the mids, try keeping them at about 4.5-5. The Recto is a VERY tricky amp man...like Im really good with amps and it took me a solid 2-3 weeks to get a feel for it.

hmm, you could be right. i have my effects loop on, and i dont even have pedals

but also, the manual said that the solo boost channel would only work if the effects loop was on. do you have the swicth in the back on vaccum tubes, or silicon diodes? spongy or bold? haha. the endless possiblities of the dual and triple rectos...
Quote by NeverMeant
It depends what you want to play. For a really tight lowend metal tone, I used the silicon diodes, and the bold setting. That gave me the tightes lowend "chug". The vaccum tube rectifiers and "spongy" setting are for a more vintage sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i have it on vaccum tubes and bold.
Quote by NeverMeant
This is kind of off topic but how do you test a cab? Do you go and hook it up to any old head and test it? And wouldnt playing with a different guitar and different head make your tone so radically different you would have no real sort of idea what sort of tones your going to get out of your rig at home?
I would just take the head to the store, or if they had the head I have play that one. A guitar wouldn't matter all that much, just find one similar to the one you own.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by sloppyjoe109
hmm, you could be right. i have my effects loop on, and i dont even have pedals

but also, the manual said that the solo boost channel would only work if the effects loop was on. do you have the swicth in the back on vaccum tubes, or silicon diodes? spongy or bold? haha. the endless possiblities of the dual and triple rectos...

Yeah the effects loop actually does effect your tone. Unfortunatly as you said the Solo boost only works with it on.

I have mine set to Vacuum Tubes. I really like the warmer sound you get from that setting...like...a lot more 'sag'. I also have it set to Bold.

An Oversized Mesa cab would probably be the best for ya...
dude get a mesa but make sure you get the 4x12 roadking cab its 3/4s covered 1/4 open back and has an amazing combo of different speakers plus the open vs. closed back
trust me it will give you what you are looking for