Hey as some of you in this little area of UG know, I'm a guitar player and I've just started picking up theory although as of now it's just bits and pieces and seems almost completely useless

My friend just got a really ****ty used drum set, or most of it I should say lol and after playing I'm considering buying a drum set and learning how to play and I was wondering what all I would need to get started out, how much I should be looking to spend good websites to help learn how to play drums and if there is any theory invovled

sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum I didn't see any place that looked more apropriate
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Of course there is theory involved with it, generally most bands keep tempo on some type of cymbal, then everything else that goes along with the beats comes from the toms and bass. .. .and sometimes even cymbals, it really switches up a lot, since I am not a drummer. I am not good for info there, but listen to rational gaze by meshuggah, their drummer keeps tempo even though it changes time signatures many times. . . . still the same tempo, just different time signatures on top of one another. .. . but other than that, drums are just about keeping rhythm to what is being played, seriously, I think drums are a headache because of the fact that there is no melody to go about, just don't become another cocky ass metal drummer. . . . those are the worst. Anyways, yeah, all my info on drums, but as long as you stick to the time signatures and tempos you'll be okay, and you can do whatever you want, because there isn't exactly any tonality included aside from the main toms. .. .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
i used to drum for 8 years, and 5 months ago got into guitar. drums are an instument that you can learn on your own, with no help, simply by listening to a cd over and over and trying to replicate a beat. this is how i learned, but i would not reccomend this. i would try to get lessons as soon as you can. you can do it the way i did it, and i had a bunch of fun from the very first day of drumming, but i do think it is better to have lessons.

drumming is something that once you can figure out what a hi-hat sounds like, a snare, a kick drum, you can listen to a song, and just "cut and paste" the sounds in your head. that is how i learned. put on the headphones, and just only replicate the rythm on the hi hat. once i got that down, i'd add in the snare. then once i felt comfortable playing those to rythms, i'd add the kick drum, and learn the full beat all together.

learning to count is a real big thing too. understanding if someone is playing in 4-4 time (like hip hop or 80's rock) vs. 13-17 time (danny carey of TOOL). basically that means that on a drummers left hand (snare) he counts over and over, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4. and then on his right hand (hi hat) he also counts in 4's. the time signature match perfectly and repeat together. with danny carey, he does all sorts of wacko stuff and counts to 13 on his left hand, and then on his right hand, he's counting to 17. so the patterns get much more complicated and at that point it just becomes more about feeling and fluidity and groove, less about a beat.

lessons will drastically improve you though in many ways. makes the learning curve much quicker.

for drumming equipment, i would go to the local music store, and go talk with the guy in the drum department. ask lots of questions, and get your pricing that way. ask him to show you a really good sounding crash cymbal, and then show you a bad crash cymbal, back to back, and hit them, and have him talk about what he hears that makes the cymbal bad and the other one good. do that for snare drums too. there is quite a bit of variation you can get in cymbals and snares, and i think it is important to learn about sounds and what you like. that way, when assembling a kit, you can understand what you like, and why you want to play a "bright and full bodied crash cymbal," or a "deep and think snare with a huge crack sound."

put on a basic rock and roll song from the 80's or 70's with an easy drum beat, or maybe a rap album from the early 90's (not the modern crap) they all play real basic 4-4 time.

here is what i mean--

tap your right hand 8 times, and keep counting over and over and say it out loud. just keep counting out loud to 8, and keep tapping your right hand along with that. now add in your kick drum-- on 1, 5, and 6, tap your right foot. now add in your snare drum-- on 3 and 7, tap your left hand. that is a basic, simple drum beat.