My band is going to make a comeback and is going to start experimenting with the vocals routed through pedals. We've decided we're going to buy a Line 6 DL-4, Line 6 FM-4, Line 6 MM-4 and was kinda toying with the idea of using a Whammy pedal. Would this even work and if it does, would it even sound good?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
have you thought about trying one of those vocal processing units? I bet it would sound better than regular guitar pedals. I was just looking at some rack fx units tonight, and browsed across a couple units like this one. They were going for like $500, but how much are you planning to spend on pedals?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TC-Helicon-Voiceworks-Vocal-Processor_W0QQitemZ120016597381QQihZ002QQcategoryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
There's not really a budget. All 5 members are contributing to the purchase of the new gear and on top of that, our lead guitarist works at the Guitar Center, so we're getting 25% off all the gear. I just saw Cedric Bixler from the At the Drive-In days routing his vocals through a complete pedalboard and he got some really cool effects that I'd like to try.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
You might want to look at both the TC and Eventide units then. Eventide and TC make some great stuff for guitar I know, so I imagine their vocal processors are top notch too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Would we need a midi controller or anything of the such?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
to switch settings without having to switch it on the actual unit, you would need to use a midi controller, unless the unit comes with a footswitch. You can get midi footcontrollers pretty cheap on eBay though. Most if not all units have midi in and thru, so any midi controller will work with them as long as it sends a signal. My Podxtl doubles as a footswitch for my midi devices.
amp clips
amp vids