I am really into the singer/songwriter coffeehouse style of artist. I am looking for suggestions of good artists that aren't really well known. I guess some examples of what I am talking about are like... Ryan Adams, Damien Rice, Sufjan Stevens, old John Mayer. While these guys are fairly well known, I am looking for any suggestions on some new stuff! Thanks in advance.
Lou Barlow/Sentridoh
Owen
Imaad Wasif
Cat Power
Jeff Mangum
Jolie Holland
Jose Gonzalez
The Mountain Goats
City & Colour
Tom Waits. Not new at all, but you can't go wrong with him.
Wade in the water, child.
^ considering the type of music the threastarter is looking for, I'd recommend mostly Tom Waits' early albums(pre-Sworfishthrombones).

Aside from that, Pickering Pick : http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/pickering_pick . You need to register to download his albums, but it's worth it, believe me.
Nick Drake (not new but his music is timeless)
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
Elliott Smith
Iron & Wine
Beck (his album"sea change")
(Smog)
Leni Ward is good, I like her stuff....also in a similar vein, you could try The Worrydolls who are very good imo...

Other than that nothing leaps to mind that hasn't already been mentioned above (Iron & Wine, Cat Power and Jose Gonzalez being the standouts)

Oh and also Can I Get Away With Pulp, I understand they intend a full release before the end of the year so try and catch them as well

edit - I also forgot!

Bic Runga and Camera Obscura - if you ignore everything else I typed, please check out Camera Obscura, honestly.
Last edited by tezhall at Aug 7, 2006,
^ Gotta love the Bic Runga.

Are you actually making music with Alice or are you just teasing with the whole album thing?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I genuienly am making music yes, and yes Alice is the genuine bassist for the band but AFAIK has no way to record also we invited Jon to be the drummer but he has the same issues.

It should be interesting anyway as we've agreed to do a gig on July 21st next year, a deadline always helps haha!

And incidentally yes I am totally serious about getting some form of media out by the end of 2006, was gonna be cheeky and ask you to be the producer
^ I'm also very interested to hear what you've come up with. You have a lot to live up to, though, being a co-Best Band winner and all.

On a side note, I forgot to mention Emiliana Torrini and Beth Orton.
Quote by tezhall
And incidentally yes I am totally serious about getting some form of media out by the end of 2006, was gonna be cheeky and ask you to be the producer

If you fancy a trip down to Clapham at some point in the next year to record I'll see what I can do. Uni has moved there this summer and the new studio is meant to be amazing with ex-Abbey Road speakers and stuff - then there'll be me and my mates to ruin it

Will be interested to hear it though
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Grandaddy!
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
I find that one's independent search for new music makes up a good portion of the enjoyment of said music.
Quote by StuartR
Are you MAD?!

I've always been convinced he was a joke to make fun of all the hipsters and indie kids out there. You're free to have your own opinion, though
if you like coffeehouse styles then you should listen to jeff buckley live at sin-é if you haven't heard it already. it's wonderfullllllllllll.
not new but Tom Waits as previously mentioned. check out the song "drunk on the moon" in particular.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by tezhall
I genuienly am making music yes, and yes Alice is the genuine bassist for the band but AFAIK has no way to record also we invited Jon to be the drummer but he has the same issues.

It should be interesting anyway as we've agreed to do a gig on July 21st next year, a deadline always helps haha!

how can she have no way of recording!? all she needs is a microphone and audacity...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Pshaw, I dunno. Plus she's in France at the moment I believe. Plus I move to Exeter in like 2 weeks which will make things even more tricky. But we'll make it work, it'll all be cool

Andrew, re: Clapton, not likely to be too soon sadly - but since I'm getting a PreSonus Inspire, a Samson Q7 Dicardioid and possibly a firewire card to make it work with my PC, I'll be able to zip up some cubase files and whiz them over for you to toy with at your leisure....worth a thought, might be worth diverting this to pm tho

And so as not to be a spam junkie, here's another coupla reccos for some mellow listening

Names For Enemies
Grace Cathedral Park
Joanna Newsom - bit more "out there", have a listen to "Peach Plum Pear" if you've never tried her stuff
Quote by 2xG
I've always been convinced he was a joke to make fun of all the hipsters and indie kids out there. You're free to have your own opinion, though

He released his first album in the 70s, I don't think they had hipsters then apart from the type of jeans.
Jimi Hendrix was a hipster. Definitely.

edit - no spam get out clause, also try John Mayer (I recommend - Victoria)
Quote by StuartR
He released his first album in the 70s, I don't think they had hipsters then apart from the type of jeans.

I`m pretty sure that trendy underground-types have existed since at least the sixties, albeit under a different name.

Erm, Tim Buckley, Rufus Wainwright?
Quote by 2xG
Andrew Bird?

I thought you said Andrew Biles there for a sec I was like woah.

Quote by andrewbiles
Are you actually making music with Alice or are you just teasing with the whole album thing?

Tez is making music I'm humming along to the mp3s.

Quote by tezhall

Is getting remedied.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
how can she have no way of recording!? all she needs is a microphone and audacity...

Yeahh I don't have Audacity... yet. The only mics I have are the one integrated with the webcam which is crap quiality beyond belief and the one on my headset, which I don't think would be possible to use?
But anyhow once I get more money (birthday in 2 weeks *cough*) I'll invest somewhat. I can't miss the chance of having the greatest bandname ever (yes Jon, it so beats yours).

Um so anyhow, what was this thread about :S

(I recommend Elliott Smith)
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"