Anyone else on here that cant follow the metronome? Like doing 2 notes between ticks at 66? I have been trying very hard to play evenly through the tick tocks.. I always seem to fall behind or go a bit faster, i can like play fast scales but i cant keep the notes even =(. any solutions to this?
try three or four notes per beat and every time it ticks emphasize the first note of how ever many you choose to play so say its three notes it would be... DA da da, DA da da and it helps if you can get your head nodding a bit every bar or foot what ever comes natural really
just follow what fu man chu said and it should work. also try tapping your foot on each beat.
thx for the advice.. but i dont think its working .... i cant tap my feet and play notes evenly in between ticks or even play the notes evenly between ticks.
Quote by SimonLeung
thx for the advice.. but i dont think its working .... i cant tap my feet and play notes evenly in between ticks or even play the notes evenly between ticks.

Than you don't have a steady beat. Practice that a little more, practice moving your body in the most natural way (just let yourself go when you're alone and you have your guitar) and keep it going in one steady rhytm. At the same time, try playing quarter notes. See if you can keep the beat for a long while, before trying something new.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I think you're trying to play between the ticks and not with them. If you're playing 2 notes per tick and the metronome is going 1 2 3 4. You want to play the string on one then again in between one and two, and then play on two and so on. It should all be smooth and you should be picking evenly and each break between each note should be the same amount of time.
thanks a lot guys ill practice doing those stuff for a few days to see if I can get it down. thanks again!
Ive been to the point of throwing my metronome, I found it easier to relax a min. and listen to it a couple of times to find my count. before I jump right on in, most metronome or even click tracks should beep at 1 and then you start...then repeating your first bar at the first odd beep....just dont let it get the best of you..good luck
lol... well im using a metronome online from a site. so i know i wont throw it.. but i have been tempted to punch my monitor... and smash my guitar
Until you get comfortable with using the metronome play only on the clicks using downstrokes, when you get this then move onto alternate picking, again slowly and only on each beat, finally when you have this nailed move onto playing on the beat and between the beat evenly using downstrokes and then you can do the same using alternate picking!
Best of Luck
lol, i had this trouble when i started.......here is what i did:

play 4 notes every click at say 56bpm, BUT you must always emphasise the start note.

when you have become more comfortable and aware of how to stay with the metronome THEN try other note cominations (3 notes per string, 2 notes per string), but remember to always start off very slowly and build up speed over time.

hope i helped
66bpm? thats it?

if you're doing triplets count "one-uh-let", "two-uh-let", etc. and count sixteenth notes as "1- e - and - uh", "2- e-and-uh", etc.

this really helps alot, even though it looks and sounds stupid.

~timepheonix
66bpm but im trying to build up to 8 notes per beat. Im kind of getting the hang of it. More practice! but the tick tocks get annoying >_< and i have to constantly count in my head like.. 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and... lol
You might want to try to palm mute the first few beats because it resembles the beat of the metronome more and it might be able help you keep with the metronome.
a good way to start is to get a comfortable speed say 60 bpm where you can do 4 per click and then turn your metronome up to 240 or as high as it goes and just do one note per click until you have a steady beat then you can go up to say 80 bpm and since that may get confusing or your metronome doesn't go that high then just go to 160 bmp and do 2 notes per click then you will soon be on your way to very fast at 4 notes per click and the most important thing is that you will be on time with every note.
Quote by SimonLeung
Im at 170 bpm with 4 notes per beat now! yay!

umm....yesterday you had a hard time with getting 8th notes in at 66bpm. and even if you're playing 16th notes at 170 today, im guessing that you're only playing one note. cause if what you're saying is true, then i'd be playing like 30+ nps from all the days i spent with my metronome playing through scales trying to get faster and be accurate.
Last edited by TimePheonix at Aug 7, 2006,
you have to start out really slowly so you can get it completely even ... most of them time when you start out by playng a scale fast you end up having problems with keeping the beat even that are really hard to unlearn ...
Quote by SimonLeung
Im at 170 bpm with 4 notes per beat now! yay!

i think you mean 1 note per beat
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I dunno... im new to using metronome, but ive been playing for almost 1 year. it says on the metronome ... BPM - 160 Beats - 4 ... Thats what ive been playing with, not sure what it means though.. doesnt it mean 4 notes per beat?... 1 tick tick tick- 1 tick tick tick etc..? AHH im confused now..

im doing chromatic thingies 1234 stuff..
Last edited by SimonLeung at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by SimonLeung
I dunno... im new to using metronome, but ive been playing for almost 1 year. it says on the metronome ... BPM - 160 Beats - 4 ... Thats what ive been playing with, not sure what it means though.. doesnt it mean 4 notes per beat?... 1 tick tick tick- 1 tick tick tick etc..? AHH im confused now..

that just means it's in 4/4 time, so you should hear tock-tick-tick-tick-tock-tick-tick-tick but that's not how many notes per beat you're playing...a beat would be one click, and how many notes you play between clicks would determine how many notes per beat you are playing...hope that makes sense
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

so the clicks are the tocks right?

tock-tick-tick-tick-tock-tick-tick-tick

tock-2 -3 -4 -tock-2 -3 -4

so im playing Tock-2-3-4 Tock-2-3-4 wouldnt that be 4 notes per beat? the Tock is a beat too right? so it adds up to four? sorry.. im slow.. lol
yes, the tock would be the click the tick tick tick would be the count...so if you're playing a note for every tick and tock then you're playing four notes per beat
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

thanks for helping me understand it. but i guess i was right in the beginning?
thanks again =)
i just found it highly doubtful that you could reach 4 notes per beat at 170 bpm...that's almost 12 notes per second, and for someone who had trouble playing 8ths at 66 bpm, it's a bit of a stretch
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

it seems your problem has been solved but i would like to point out, that myself initially, i had problems playing slower than i did faster (as i think most people do) i would recommend starting out with a relatively uptempo beat such as 120 bpm (2 beats per second) and then work your way up or down, just a suggestion in case someone else has these problems.
Sorry I cant do 170, I guess I was so sleepy while practicing i thought i had it down.. I slowed it back to 160.

Maybe Im still reading some information wrong =/. But Im using the John Petrucci Rock Dicipline book, Im playing the "4-note-per-string pattern played in 16th notes(four notes per beat)".

When i first used a metronome, I used this online one http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Then I switched to http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/metronome/index.html
the one with the 1-tick-tick-tick 1-tick-tick-tick. I guess thats how I improved.
Quote by SimonLeung

im doing chromatic thingies 1234 stuff..

if you're playing on every tick you're playing quarter notes. which means you're playing eighth notes at 80 bpm, which is like 2.67 notes per second.

and if you're doing chromatic things thats even worse, cause when are you just gonna play fast chromatic stuff. thats what scales are for. it works on your speed and your familiarity with the scale. for instance, i can play 16th notes at 200bpm (13.1 nps) while playing through the major scale, but if i do chromatic stuff i can play a heck of alot faster cause there's no stretches or nothing involved, and your fingers are all right there. so dont do chromatic stuff. just use the major scale.

~Timepheonix
Quote by TimePheonix
if you're playing on every tick you're playing quarter notes. which means you're playing eighth notes at 80 bpm, which is like 2.67 notes per second.

and if you're doing chromatic things thats even worse, cause when are you just gonna play fast chromatic stuff. thats what scales are for. it works on your speed and your familiarity with the scale. for instance, i can play 16th notes at 200bpm (13.1 nps) while playing through the major scale, but if i do chromatic stuff i can play a heck of alot faster cause there's no stretches or nothing involved, and your fingers are all right there. so dont do chromatic stuff. just use the major scale.

~Timepheonix

.... ??? .... what? so... if i play at 200 bpm... its always half ? so 200 bpm= 100bpm?
so Im actually going at 80 bpm and not 160 bpm? Man these metronomes need a instruction guide.. lol

Im just following what the book tells me to do. =/
Tap your foot on exery quarter beat (every click, supossing you're in 4/4), then when you get into the rhythm, start tapping on the 8th beat.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ok man, you are getting confused because no one is really explaining this to you. Every tick on your metronome represents a quarter note. And in 4/4 time a quarter note = 1 beat. So, everytime you hear a tick you are hearing one beat. So you can count the ticks as "1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4" etc. So, if you were actually playing 4 notes per beat, you would be playing 4 separate notes in between the time of "1" and "2", NOT 1 note on "1" and a second note on "2". The metronome will count the quarter notes for you. If you want to play eighth notes you have to do the extra counting "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and". If you played a separate note on the "1" and another note on the "and" you would be playing 2 notes per beat. Anyways, you seemed to be confused and I hope this helped. Keep it slow and learn it cleanly. Good luck!
Thank you Unbridled, I understand now! i think...

So Tick-Tock-Tock-Tock
1- 2- 3- 4-

To be playing 4 notes per beat, I have to be playing 4 notes in between 1 and 2
2 and 3
3 and 4

Right? I hope I got it... but what axegrinder guy said up there that if I play
Tock-Tick-Tick-Tick where there is a note for all the Tock-Tick-Tick-Tick, its 4 notes per beat?
Last edited by SimonLeung at Aug 8, 2006,
hold up...if you are playing to the ticks on your metronome you are playing quarter notes. if you want to play 8th notes you have to play "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" but if you want to play 16th notes you have to play "1-e-and-uh-2-e-and-uh-3-e-and-uh-4-e-and-uh". which means you have to play four notes betweent 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 1.

if you play on the clicks you are playing 4 notes per measure.

~Timepheonix
Unbridled explained it perfectly - all of these are examples assuming you're in 4/4

-if you're playing 1 note per click of the metronome, you are playing one note per beat, or quarter notes

-if you're playing 2 notes per click (between 2 clicks), you are playing two notes per beat, or eighth notes

-if you're playing 3 notes per click, you are playing 3 notes per beat, or triplets - these can be a bit complicated, so don't start off with them until you have a firm understanding and feel for the other note durations

-finally, if you're playing 4 notes per click, you are playing 4 notes per beat, or sixteenth notes

there are also misc. note durations i.e. sextuplets (6 notes per beat), 32nd notes, etc...of course these note durations may change with different time signatures, i.e. complex time, cut time, etc
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Yea man, you got it now. If your trying to play 4 notes per beat (sixteenth notes), you would count them as "1 e and ah", but I would start out simpler with eighth notes and make sure you start slow and keep it clean. Accuracy is much much more important than cramming 100 notes in-between the clicks. If you are like I started out (with no prior musical history), you may want to read a little bit about time signatures and such, just to make sure you have a good grip on it. Anyways, I hope I helped. Good luck.
set one of those retarded drum simulators so that it plays on all four boxes after setting the beat to 4...then set the bpm to whatever you're trying to attempt...this is how you should be playing sixteenth notes...change the boxes so that it plays on the first and third boxes; that's eighth notes

but try not to play to the clicks at a speed of 100+ because it just sounds like one big annoying wave of clicks
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!