ok i am going to get a new amp probaly on monday and i was wondering should i get a JCM 200 TSL 100 watt head with a 1960A cab or a Mode four 350watt head with an 400 watt matching cab not sure on wattage from the 1960 cab both are beatiful nd i played then today but i like the solid state better (MF) but how long will they last and will the tone die early i just need a good long lasting amp
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
You preffered the mode four to the tsl!? If you're looking at that kind of amp, go for the dsl 50 head and cab, 50 watts all tube is damn loud, and imo the dsl has more tone than the tsl.

What styles of music do you play?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
the mode four sound more clear and the tone was wonderful like how sometimes the amp picks upthe picking tone this amp mutes it so its just the guitar tone sorry i meant jcm 2000 and the jcm wasnt just getting nice tones like that and i play metal and hardcoreand when i do music theroy i play clean
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
Quote by hrdcorekidx
ok i am going to get a new amp probaly on monday and i was wondering should i get a JCM 200 TSL 100 watt head with a 1960A cab or a Mode four 350watt head with an 400 watt matching cab not sure on wattage from the 1960 cab both are beatiful nd i played then today but i like the solid state better (MF) but how long will they last and will the tone die early i just need a good long lasting amp

Quote by hrdcorekidx
the mode four sound more clear and the tone was wonderful like how sometimes the amp picks upthe picking tone this amp mutes it so its just the guitar tone sorry i meant jcm 2000 and the jcm wasnt just getting nice tones like that and i play metal and hardcoreand when i do music theroy i play clean

K. Wow...Im stunned and a little hurt as a gear/tone freak...

The reason why you didnt like the TSL is because you were probably at Guitar Center or something playing it at .05 on the volume. Realize that its an all tube all (well not PURE tube but still..) and that it has to be at a pretty decent volume for a good true tube tone. The Mode Four is a hybrid...which basically means its a good marketing scheme...which means that its power amp section (i think..some are pre-amp and some are power amp) is SS...which means that you dont have to have it loud for a "good" tone.

The Mode Four is...well...a horrible amp. TBH (some say 'hey thats your opinion' but when it comes to this...its a scientific fact. I think its actually in the Bible somewhere, in the foot-notes. I remember hearing about it in Sunday school...I thought the crazy b1tch was joking but she wasnt. it was in there. right there. it said "the mode four is a horrible amp". it was probably made by Satan...or Tom Cruise. Either way its a fact.)

But hey if you really think you like a marketing sheme over a real amp...go for it. I gauruntee that you'll get sick of the sound after a short while though...

And seriously dude...at least try to put punctuation marks in your posts...
+1 on the punctuation marks.

I've read some interviews where guitarists (most notably John5) have praised the Mode4 but I personally think the TSL is much better (actually I think the DSL sounds better than the TSL). I think that 9 times out of 10 an amp with a tube power section is going to sound better than one with a solid-state power section. If the TSL isn't heavy-sounding enough for you just pop a distortion or overdrive pedal in front of it.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by hrdcorekidx
when i do music theroy i play clean

I'm not sure what that means.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
(to fatgraymatt...a fellow gear addict)
^ basically when hes practicing he's using the clean channel. Which is the first smart thing Ive seen in this thread...besides everyone who suggested getting the TSL over the Mode 4.
I see. I don't know though, if you practice using the clean channel you can hear all your mistakes.
^ thats the point of practicing on a clean setting. If you cant hear your mistakes, or theyre hidden under a blanket of distortion how are you going to know when/where you mess up and how to fix it?
I agree wholeheartedly, it was a joke.
you might want to try an ENGL amp, they are pretty badass for metal, try an Orange-Amp even if you like. Don't limit yourself to Marshall, just because everyone else plays it. There may be many better amps out there, depending on your taste.