Okay so ive been stuck on 80 bpm for a few weeks and i cant improve my speed, ive done the spider excersize and all but i cant get past 80 bpm. any tips?
Quote by fu man chu
play faster

:lol:

Anyway dude he is right, it takes longer for some people, just increase it to say 85 bpm, then 90, then 95 etc. Doing it in smaller jumps will help you.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

stay on the same speed, whatever speed you play, it MUST be clean.
play at half speed simply doing chromatics "Up Picking" only.... Slowly increase the metronome, but make sure that you are only UP PICKING (picking towards your face rather then to the ground) do this also with down picking but at faster speeds. Play lots of riffs and stuff by only up picking aswell... It helps your picking speed soo much.... Trust me, ive been there done that
Quote by sheumack111
play at half speed simply doing chromatics "Up Picking" only.... Slowly increase the metronome, but make sure that you are only UP PICKING (picking towards your face rather then to the ground) do this also with down picking but at faster speeds. Play lots of riffs and stuff by only up picking aswell... It helps your picking speed soo much.... Trust me, ive been there done that

So to improve his alternate picking speed he should only use up-strokes?
you know ive never heard about only using up picks but i think that would work very well. i can naturally pick pretty fast so i never really had to work at it, but i think i might start using only up picks on some riffs.

if you think about it, most people can naturally pick fast going down, its just easier, and the reverse is true. people in general suck at up picking. so if you improve your up picking to match your down picking you'll get faster.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
^That's true... but alternate picking is about putting them together - being in the plane of the strings with both of them combined and with minimal movement.

Practicing only down picking and then only up picking will do good for the individuals, you'll be able to down pick better and you'll be able to up pick better - but it won't improve your alternate picking.

The first thing you want to do before you practice your alternate picking is practice each movement seperately - practice downstrokes and then upstrokes making sure you have each movement perfect and you're in the plane of the strings - then you put them together.

You want to improve alternate picking? Practice alternate picking.
^ true, but practicing each individually before putting them together will ultimatly make you faster. im not saying he shouldnt practice alt. picking. i think if you practice up picking until you're as comfortable and fast as down picking, it will make alt. picking easier. i practice alt. picking everyday, and i might go to just up picking for a week and see how much my alt. picking improves because of it..
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
wow thats weird i can play at about 70 bpm sollid upstroaking cleanly and around 90 er 100 down stroaking... i think sheumack111 is on to somthing there cause i can play 160 bpm fairly comfortably and acurately which is about what alot of faster solos are but if i got my up stroak to match my down i could probobly play a hell a of a lot smoother and faster
try going to like 90 BPM for a bit, then come back to 80 and see if its any easier.
lol i'm pretty sure its 16th notes. 80 bpm chord notes is way too slow.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
and is he saying he can only pick 80bpm? or 16ths at 80bpm? cuz i mean, 80bpm 1 note a beat is insanely slow..

Quote by the_crimison
im not that slow...i meant i play sixteen notes 4 notes per beat at 80 and i cant get past it.

Read the thread
Just a few pointers that may make things a little easier:

1) Use a heavy gauge pick, one that feels comfortable for you to use and experiment with different shapes. I've heard of some people filing thier picks to a point to allow for a better contact, although you can buy pointed picks if you want to try them out.

2) Check how much of the pick you are showing, you should only be showing a small amount of the pick because it stops the pick from bending when it hits the string which is often the cause of uneven picking.

3) Practice picking one string at a time, your picking should be coming from the wrist not your arm.

4) Try to minimise movement, this means watch your picking hand, the pick should not move away from the strings.

try dunlop jazz III's. those have become my favorite pick as i can pick a lot faster with them.
To put it simply, you just have to keep at it every day. You'll develop your muscles more.
I practice "Up- Picking" as much as alternate. I can "Up Pick" at about 90bpm playing 16ths comfortably. I can down pick at 110bpm. You this means that if my up picking does not get any faster then 90bpm the max alternate picking speed i can acheive is 180bpm. This is the key element people dont realise. You probably cannot even double your up picking speed cleanly.......
thats weird though cause after practicing for a few hours today working on my up stroak im still only at 75 er 80 but alternate picking i can get close to 16ths at 200 i can still play 190 coherently but after about 200 its crap i cant pull that off yet though... so yeah im not shure how that translates if i can only do about 110 tops down stroaking and 75 up?
It would make sense to be able to alternate pick faster than double your up picking speed, it's less movement. With up picking you have to move the pick back round the string each time, alternate picking you're just going up and down.

16ths at 80, that's what, 5 notes per second? I'm no expert but I would think that's more likely to be a technique problem than anything else. Can you record a video of your picking action or something?

dit - How did I end up in Basics? Meh.
Quote by meh!
I am a fat, cheating bastard and I like men and I'm fat and gay. I'm also a paedo, and I don't really play guitar, I just use UG to pick up preteen boys.
Last edited by genocidal at Aug 7, 2006,