Page 1 of 7
In your opinion , who is the best bass guitar player in the metal scene? judging by skills and not by the band they are in .
Mine is Joey DeMaio just cause he is awesome , he can play very fast , not loosing track , and making amazing melodies in great speed (the sting of the bumblebee - Kings of metal Album , Thunderpick - Sign of the hammer album)
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
It has potential but honestly I was expecting something else but not that.... what was used in recording?
Last edited by billyfknshreds at Aug 6, 2006,
if you classify steve vai and primus metal.... Billy Sheehan and Les Claypool are preety hard to beat. Also the guy from Racer X is ****ing insane
Quote by sheumack111
if you classify steve vai and primus metal.... Billy Sheehan and Les Claypool are preety hard to beat.

No.
Metallica's early base player was very good, so is steve harris but not quite as good.
I forgot to add in my original post : Cliff burton , The rob guy from metallica (he has preety fast fingers) and John Myuyuyung (<i dont know how it's spelled)
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by sheumack111
if you classify steve vai and primus metal.... Billy Sheehan and Les Claypool are preety hard to beat. Also the guy from Racer X is ****ing insane

Yeah, Juan Alderete is pretty friggin insane! I'd have to say someone like Cliff Burton or maybe John Myung.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
no-one's mentioned Alex Webster or Steve diGiorgio yet, they're pretty bad ass.
Quote by Alucard II
no-one's mentioned Alex Webster or Steve diGiorgio yet, they're pretty bad ass.

Or Michael LePond (Symphony X) or Thomas Miller (ex-Symphony X).
I'm gonna go with Joey DeMaio aswell, not that I'm biased or anything. Plus his custom bass is pretty bad ass, and he lives the life I wish I could...sigh
Quote by rabidguitarist
manowar.

on the subject:
anyone else notice that the film '300' is like... manowar: the movie?

Quote by morbid_death
Sam, you are my hero.

Metallurgy. Traditional Metal from Brisbane
http://www.myspace.com/metallurgy
Alex Webster for teh W1N.

Well being serious... alex webster does kick high amounts of ass. Cliff Burton was pretty killer too.
Frank Bello of Anthrax is hugely underrated and kicks an incredible amount of ass.
Also, Alex Webster owns your souls.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Alex Webster, Eric Langlois.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
How have you guys not mentioned Roger Patterson(RIP)?
Oh and, list time hoes:
Stefan Fimmers
Steve DiGiorgio
Cliff Burton(RIP)
Dave Ellefson
Alex Webster
Tony Choy
Greg Christian (Testament, one of my personal favorites anyway)
i know Patterson was a great bass player, but am i the only one who feels he sometimes gets too much recognition? not undeserved, but when people talk Atheist, its usually "Roger Patterson this, Roger Patterson that", and no-one says **** about Tony Choy. Patterson fully deserves acclaim, but not so much at the expense of recognition for Choy. come on, the man was in Cynic!
Quote by trollblod
Stefan fimmers from necrophagist

That would be my choice as well...that guy is a machine.
Quote by Alucard II
i know Patterson was a great bass player, but am i the only one who feels he sometimes gets too much recognition? not undeserved, but when people talk Atheist, its usually "Roger Patterson this, Roger Patterson that", and no-one says **** about Tony Choy. Patterson fully deserves acclaim, but not so much at the expense of recognition for Choy. come on, the man was in Cynic!

Yeah, but some of the bass lines in Atheist are unbeliveable. And Patterson wrote most of UP before he died, anyway. :P It took Tony Choy 6 months to learn all the material Patterson had for UP.
THAT i didnt know. *adds respect to Patterson*
i remember the first time i heard any Atheist, i was warned in advance to pay special attention to the bass...didnt take me long to figure out why
Quote by sheumack111

Technically, Les Claypool was in Blind Illusion, so he counts. >_>
Obligatory Gear List:
Dean Vendetta 2.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez PF5-BK Acoustic
I'm finally, FINALLY getting Elements for my birthday.

/end offtopic

Somebody mentioned Les Claypool. I really like Claypool too, but I've only ever heard his Primus stuff(which I love. )
Er, that guy from Watchtower is insane as well. Tony Choy also ruled in Cynic, and so did that other dude who was in Cynic. Steve Digiorgio, of course. Cameron Grant, i really like. Most tech-death bassists more than deserve mention.

I suck at names.
Sikth has a good bass player. They belong in the metal forum right?
Quote by <><
Oh, King'sXfan590! Is there anything you won't say?

There, now you can quote me and put me in your sig.
Umm...I hate to say this, but there is no best bass player. Other than LePond and Myung. Uhh...lol?
I've found Jesus
myung is the best, its probally cuz hes asain so he can reach levels of skill no one else can
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
My favorites are Stefan Fimmers, Cliff Burton, and Steve DiGiorgio. DiGiorgio pwns with his fretless bass :P
Someone I don't think has been mentioned yet -- Steve Cloutier of Gorguts.

He totally owns your faces.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by apocalypse13
Someone I don't think has been mentioned yet -- Steve Cloutier of Gorguts.

He totally owns your faces.

How the FUCK did I forget him. He's so crazy, I seriously think he does more chords on bass then Luc does on guitar.
idk if any of yall have ever heard of him, but look up Victor Wooten. he is the most insane bass player i have ever heard (not really on the metal scene though...)
(\_/)
(=' '=)
(")_(")
Quote by davidab275
idk if any of yall have ever heard of him, but look up Victor Wooten. he is the most insane bass player i have ever heard (not really on the metal scene though...)
Wooten's good, but he's not metal, so he doesnt count