I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I've been playing the guitar for only 4months, and i just wanted to see if anyone can give me some hints/tips to push me in a good direction. I download tabs alot, i just recently learned Stairway to Heaven by Led.

Haha this seems like a bit of a dumb thread but i can't think of a better way to word it, i just was wondering if any of you guys could give me some sort of guidance of stuff that i should be practicing or whatever. I prefer riffs to chords, i do know some chords but i barely use them when I'm playing my guitar. Alot of the time when I'm playing I just make stuff up as i go, is this a good idea? I'm sorry if i sound like a total retard lmao.

Thanks man.
I'd definitely practice chords. And timing. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if I were you I wouldn't learn the fretboard by the number of frets, I'd do the notes. I didn't when I started playing (about a couple of years ago) but I wish I had today, even if it is much more difficult then the standard stuff.
Dont download tabs so much, try to decifer songs by ear. Tht'll treally help develop your playing.
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
what is 'having your carrot skinned'? surely it must be painful, having your penis flayed?

'I love you so much it makes me sick'

Wanna listen to some chilled out, slightly depressing acoustic music?? --------> www.myspace.com/theriftplasticband
i recommend first learning chords and rythem which is wheter you like it or not the basis for any guitarist then or maybe (when you cant pace yourself) simultaneously learn the pentatonic and the standard scales. and always try to play with backing tracks or a metronome because no matter how difficult the chords/ riffs are if theyre out of the rythem they will sound like sh*t.

try following the beginners lessons on UG and other tab sites.

But try as much as possible to learn the basics before playing songs. cause it will get you there faster. when you know and master the basics you can learn virtually any song within lesser time then you could ever imagine (shredding is maybe a bit thoug at the start )

Good luck