Is it possible to hit a bass string 20 times in a nps with only your fingers?
Has anybody done it?
How many hits can be called bass shredding?
well with guitar its about 15nps IMO but bass is harder I guess so maybe... 10?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
wow...I find 15nps to sound VERY fast...no? Though..i have no idea how to determine how many nps I can go at..so maybe it's much easier than it sounds
oh wait..i was thinking of a guitar player with a pick for some reason... but yeah...this is bass..hehe
it probably is possible, i've never thought of that i should try it since I can play with four fingers

THE TREND IS DEAD!
I would say only with four fingers if at all. But i should think not. Whatever anyone says, a pick is faster than fingers, even four fingers. top shredders can go much faster than 20nps.

Good luck.
12 NPS is possible if you double thump and rake with 4 fingers.

Up-down-1-2-3-4 once, then up-down-1-2-3-4. That gives you 12. I don't know if you could squeeze in a 3rd one... Wooten might be able to.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Applehead
I would say only with four fingers if at all. But i should think not. Whatever anyone says, a pick is faster than fingers, even four fingers. top shredders can go much faster than 20nps.

Good luck.

Applehead, as respected as you are on UG, i'll have to disagree. With 4 fingers, i think you could blow a pick out of the water. You can only move your wrist so fast, but 4 fingers can really go. I'm just going to drop it though, because it varies from person to person. To each his own.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
You can only move your wrist so fast but your fingers have infinite speed? The world record for shredding is something like 44nps, which is just insane. Think about what you are saying.. playing 1,2,3,4 with your picking hand over ten times in a second? As ever, i will believe it when i see it.. I've seen guitar players pick at these speeds, i've never seen a bassist do that. I bet if you look up Sheehans record (who is regarded as the fastest bassist in many circles), it wouldnt be 20nps.

I love being proved wrong, though.

edit: actually sheehan plays with a pick so that doesnt count..
Last edited by Applehead at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by Applehead

um, no he doesn't, dude.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Quote by Applehead
You can only move your wrist so fast but your fingers have infinite speed? The world record for shredding is something like 44nps, which is just insane. Think about what you are saying.. playing 1,2,3,4 with your picking hand over ten times in a second? As ever, i will believe it when i see it.. I've seen guitar players pick at these speeds, i've never seen a bassist do that. I bet if you look up Sheehans record (who is regarded as the fastest bassist in many circles), it wouldnt be 20nps.

I love being proved wrong, though.

Sheehan is FAR from the fastest! Have you ever heard old Suffocation? The bassist,Chris Richards, would fly FASTER than the guitarists! He used the 4 finger technique and also the bassist from Cryptopsy uses 4 fingers.

a good example of Suffocation hmmm check out the song

Epitaph Of The Credolous

listen closely... he is FAST!!
Umm...

i can hit 10 nps :S (fingers)

16ths at 150, correct?

Geddy Lee can do that with 1 finger. YYZ is a lot of sixteenths (in fact i think he does triplet sixteenths too there) at 147 bpm. And He can do it consistent.

4 Fingers is a breeze. Admittedly, im not consistent at 4 fingers as i want to be... but you guys underestimate notes per second. or overestimate lol. Quarter notes at 60 bpm equals 1 NPS, therefore 4ths at 120 = 2 nps

16ths at 120 = 8 nps

16ths at 150 = 10 nps

Really guys, you guys look like youre scarin yourselves ****less over this

EDIT: the fastest ive hit with 4 fingers is 16ths at 200 BPM (15 nps? its 8 x 1.66etc, if you know what i mean)

Though of coures thats the right hand combined, consistent and CLEAN: i've hit... around 12 nps... Scarified Main Riff, with triplet sixteenths, you tell me :p

2nd Edit: Oh and threadstarter: im SURE its possible. In fact you can go even faster with flamenco picking if you do a " P R M I, P R M I" (2nd time going UP with fingers) pattern. looks like a wave lol.