Hey Y'all, I currently own a Peavey Bandit 112 (older 90's model, 80 watts, pretty awesome). It's a great amp, and I think it can do for a while longer, but I am going to start saving money to get a new tube amp. I play a little bit of everything, so I need versatility, and if the distortians a wee bit weak, that's okay, because I'm soon purchasing a Big Muff Pi. I would prefer a combo amp, 30+ watts, and under 800 american. I'm using a Mexi Strat, and a Agile Les Paul (AL-3000).

Give me some good suggestions (OMGZ SPIDER 2 ROX...I want tube.)

MIC
Originally posted by sprkidjar
Sounds pretty good. The bass sounds weird. The vocals were good, except for the part where you screamed, you sounded like Elmo.
Last edited by Made in China at Aug 6, 2006,
Yeah i've had a 15 watt amp for agges
but the other day i went round my nans and she was clearing out and I saw this 85 watt Carlsbro amp from the 60's and she gave it to me for free!
Its such a nice sounding amp and it'd blow your balls off
I've only ever turned it to 3=P
but yeah its an original fromthe 60's before they sold out but its immense i reackon its one of the only originals left in the country!!
fair oplay to my nan!!
Safe
One of the most versatile amps (and a great one for the money) is the Carvin V3. Three channels, lots of tweaking options, great build quality, great amp. It's more than $800 but totally worth it IMHO.

Under $800 the best option might be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the cleans and blues/classic rock sounds, and an effects unit like PodXT to get the metal sounds.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
The most versitile amplifier I have ever played:

ENGL Powerball.

It does cleans (Fender but warmer)
It does classic fuzz (with an OD or fuzz pedal, obviously. Hendrix!)
It does classic crunch (Zeppelin, UFO)
It does early metal snarl (Metallica, Anthrax all that)
It does grunge and hard rock (Nirvana, Guns N Roses Alice in Chains)
It does Nu Metal (Slipknot Mudvanye and Mushroomhead)
It does Just about any form of modern metal (power, death metal, black metal, etc)

With enough tweaking and a couple effects you can pretty much do anything with it from jazz to crushing death metal and all the hard rock you can concieve in between.

But its about three times what you want to pay for a half stack =o If you wanted to list the styles of music you would be playing in order from most important to least important then we could be much more helpful.
Hotrod Deluxe, I have it, and it sounds great. Not much overdrive so I throw a distortion pedal (DS-1, but a Big Muff would be good too) infront of it and use the overdrive as a clean boost. Cleans are amazing and I never need to turn it up past 2 or 3. If I needed a louder amp, I'd just mic it.
traynor blues aren't bad either. with an OD it can be quite versatile.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
List of most important to least imporant genres

Rock
Blues
Metal
Jazz
Polka.

I've been scoping out this amp, it's a head, but it comes with the cab for free, it's also 30 watt/100 watt switchable
Originally posted by sprkidjar
Sounds pretty good. The bass sounds weird. The vocals were good, except for the part where you screamed, you sounded like Elmo.
Last edited by Made in China at Aug 7, 2006,