I recently bought a Bass guitar (its a cheap KCC Bass, as I always wanted to play Bass but didn't have the money for a really good one, and its the first guitar of any sort I've owned). And I decided to buy a Qwik Tuner to tune it for me properly!! But to be honest, I'm confused as to how this thing works! When I play the E string, the needle shows how out of tune it is, but even when I tune the string to (as the machine indicates) perfection, the letters across the top don't match to the string. When I play the E string, the machine hi-lights the letter D! And as I'm new to the whole thing, I'm not sure whether its meant to do that, or when you pluck the E string, the letter E should be hi-lighted surely!? Its the same with the other strings, but I think I've typed enough!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
It probably means that your e string is actually drop tuned to d. You need to make it a lot sharper (higher pitched)
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
Quote by mikb
It probably means that your e string is actually drop tuned to d. You need to make it a lot sharper (higher pitched)

So tighten the string yeah? Its just, when I've tried that, it seems to just say its out of tune! But I will try it again a bit later on, many thanks!
Here is a simple trick called relative tuning.

When your E string is tuned to E the fifth fret should be the same pitch as your open A string. (same for A/D and D/G).

It's a quick and easy way to double check if you think your tuner is wrong. Like mikb said you are probably in D. Congratulations, it took me three months at first to figure out how to get to D.
Well, tightening it to try and get it in tune led me to a over-tightened and snapped E-string!! Lol. So now, I'm suitably pissed off about the whole thing, as I've only had it 3 days!!
Quote by jump_offa_house
Well, tightening it to try and get it in tune led me to a over-tightened and snapped E-string!! Lol. So now, I'm suitably pissed off about the whole thing, as I've only had it 3 days!!

Dont worry mate, you live and learn! Did you put new batteries in the tuner or just some old ones lying around. A tuner with dying batteries is useless!

As you fit your new string (another learning experience), you will be able to tune it up to the E and you can keep your eye on the tuner as it goes up through the notes..

Give us a shout when you have your new string and we can walk you through it..

Nice one for starting bass though, you wont regret it bro!
^ well yeah, but he is brand new to bass and maybe doesnt have the money to go and buy a £70 Korg tuner (as much as they do rock).
i had a qwik tuner. it worked for guitar, not too well for bass.

20 bucks gets you a ca-30.. you can tune anything with that.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
****in jesus go back to school
Quote by samlynch
nothing can beat rhcp albums. not even rhcp albums.
Yeah I have a qwik tuner and they really suck so I just use the tuner on my pedal. I too have snapped and E string while tuning when I first started out. Next time when your tuning don't turn the tuner much because you could turn it too many times and snap your string again. When you put your new strings on they will go out of tune quickly because they need to stretch. Good luck with it all and have fun playing bass.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
i have no problems with mine. if yours has the tones on it, then leave them playing and try to get the 12th fret to sound as close to the note its making as possible. then turn it off, and tune
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.