What the ****!!!!!

I can't run up properly!!! It's all just choppy and stoppy, not smooth. There is a clear stop when changing string!!!!

I can run DOWN grand! I can even play the run down parts in Malmsteen's Trilogy Suite!!!

Help!!! What could I be doing wrong?????
Last edited by Megatallica at Aug 6, 2006,
slow things down and keep practicing.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Id say up-sweeps pretty hard to master.
It took me a while to get the hang of it, and it still takes me alot of practice to get it right.

Try muting the strings you have played with your fretting hand, and the strings your about to play with your palm.

This way, the only string tht can make a noise is the string your playing. Every other string is muted
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Id say up-sweeps pretty hard to master.
It took me a while to get the hang of it, and it still takes me alot of practice to get it right.

Try muting the strings you have played with your fretting hand, and the strings your about to play with your palm.

This way, the only string tht can make a noise is the string your playing. Every other string is muted

I think you might think I was talkin about sweeping??? I wasn't
im going to assume a few things when giving my answer. first, ill assume your doing 3 notes per string, your alt. picking and your starting with a down stroke. while "running up" your picking d,u,d and on the next string u,d,u. and there is the problem, starting the new string with an up stroke is hard, and it slows you down. doing a "run down" isn't really a problem cause your moving up to the next string and the movement is natural. moving down a string while up picking is not a natural movement and is hard to overcome. practice it slow, and build it up. one excercise i find very effective is pick the 3 notes as fast as you can, and pick the next string once. Ex. d,u,d, and the next string pick up. repeat that over and over and eventually you'll train your hand to be able to pick up at the same speed.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212