Here in a couple of weeks, I'm trying out to be the bassist for a melodic metal band. I was wondering what are some good styles/songs I should learn? Thanks for any help.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Melodic Death Metal I assume you mean, things like In Flames/Arch Enemy?

If so, learn the Jester Race album by In Flames, not difficult in the slightest, but awesome songs to play as a band.
its not death metal but paul romanko from shadows fall is really good. check out all of their new cd (fallout from the war) and some other stuff. inspiration on demand is a good one
opeth, dream theater are bands to check out for excellent bass playing in the genre/
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Dream theater isn't melodic death metal, but their playing is totally crazy. I mean, good recommendation, but it may not bode well in a MDM band
Quote by Charlatan_001
Dream theater isn't melodic death metal, but their playing is totally crazy. I mean, good recommendation, but it may not bode well in a MDM band

He said he was looking for melodic metal, not melodic death metal.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Quote by FearRetribution
Melodic Death Metal I assume you mean, things like In Flames/Arch Enemy?

If so, learn the Jester Race album by In Flames, not difficult in the slightest, but awesome songs to play as a band.

Arch Enemy is definetly not Melodic Death Metal, at least I wouldn't call them that.

Melodic metal? All I can think of off the top of my head would be Dream Theatre but that's kinda more prog. rock.

And yes, Paul Romanko of SF does some nice melodic lines high up on the neck while the guitars go clean and whatnot.

Also, listen to a band called The Sleeping, they aren't metal but you could get a lot of killer ideas and examples of melodic bass in hard music. And he rarely follows the guitars.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
the best style you can learn for that is called KNOWING YOUR THEORY. knowing a few songs that are melodic isnt gonna do jack **** in my opinion. knowing how to play through all the modes of a c major scale will.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
the best style you can learn for that is called KNOWING YOUR THEORY. knowing a few songs that are melodic isnt gonna do jack **** in my opinion. knowing how to play through all the modes of a c major scale will.

I know my theory (at least relatively well), I just need to know the style so I can put my theory to practice.
building a melody isnt really a style. use the chord progression and use your theory knowledge, and thats about it. meldoic skill comes with practice.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I don't need to build a melody, I need to accompany one.