Hi everyone,

I have a friend coming to America at the end of the year and I'm after a new guitar. Probably around the $800 mark - but NO higher that $1000US..... (Coz thats about $1300 AUD and I dont know if I can save that much before the end of the year)

I'm after a guitar that can do metal well, but also doesnt have terrible cleans. It will mainly be used for metal though, so cleans aren't too important. There is one thing that I want to say though - when I get the guitar, I don't want to do a whole lot to it.... I'd like to keep it stock if possible. (Perhaps no more than a pickup change - maybe more later down the track) So I don't want anything with a crap bridge or something that will cost me a fortune to mod. If it comes with a case - that would be good coz I have to buy one anyway.

Here are the brands that I'm not after; (Don't flame me guys - these are just not what I'm after right now...)

NOT a B.C Rich
NOT a schecter - coz the ones I played were dissapointing...... (C1+, C1 elite) I just didnt like the feel of the necks. Blackjack was ok, but I dont really want one.
NOT a Dean - unless someone can suggest a good one - we havent got many Deans near me in Aus...... So I wont be able to try it out first.
NOT a Fender - very nice but not what I'm after.
NOT ESP - coz I'm not a big fan of their guitars......

So I'm thinking - an IBANEZ or a JACKSON or possibly an EPIPHONE (Decent) LP.

Definitely two humbuckers - I would like a Floyd Rose or another trem bridge, but fixed is ok - FL prefered. And I'd like it to have a thin neck thats good for shredding - unless of course its the epi!

If you need more info - please repost and I'll answer your question.

So any suggestions will do - and please give me a link of where to purchase the guitar.

Thank you all in advance,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Aug 6, 2006,
It sounds like you need a RG 1570 great trem great upper fret access it needs a pick up swap but i think its only 700USD so you will have extra for a pick up swap and it comes with a case.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
It sounds like you need a RG 1570 great trem great upper fret access it needs a pick up swap but i think its only 700USD so you will have extra for a pick up swap and it comes with a case.

I actually have an RG 170DX - is it much different?? Coz I dont want two very similar guitars........ Would you have a link by any chance???

Cheers for the suggestion - I'll look into it!

I actually just saw an ESP MH400 with the mahogony body - set neck and active EMG's.... Is that a guitar I should consider???

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
you should check out Paul Reed Smith guitars. The ES series is the less expensive models. Check out the Tremonti ES, the ES standard and the Santana ES, all are good choices for your price range. You could also check out gibson SG's. You can also land a decent gibson les paul for under 1k if you find the right store. Guitar center will usually let you talk them down.
Quote by Syn Harvest
the ESP is good but it needs a Trem swap because the LFRs are hit and miss and the 1570 is amazing

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG1570

Cheers,

Is it really different feeling and sounding to my RG170DX??? It seems like a nice guitar.....

A quick question - I see you have an ISP noise Decimator - I wanna get one and I wanted to ask - are they as good as everyone says???

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Amazing Pedals cuts out all noise and at any volume you just have to dial the Threshold higher and lower for different volumes all noise gone and it doesnt suck away any of your tone.

I dont know how much different the 1570 is gonna be to your 170 but i know most likely that the 1570 is gonna be much better quality all around so you may want to check it out.

If you dont like the idea of the Ibanez maybe look into jackson soloists i have seen them at guitar center for 1000 but im not sure on the exact specs of them it played really nice though
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Rg1570
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by danastasi
Is it really different feeling and sounding to my RG170DX??? It seems like a nice guitar.....

1570 to 170 is like a BMW to a 1/48th scale BMW. They look similar, but while 170 is a decent beginner compromise, 1570 is simply the best deal you can get anywhere in its price range (although a Schecter or LTD groupie might toss something heavy at me for saying that, but they'd just be jealous )
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
1570 to 170 is like a BMW to a 1/48th scale BMW. They look similar, but while 170 is a decent beginner compromise, 1570 is simply the best deal you can get anywhere in its price range (although a Schecter or LTD groupie might toss something heavy at me for saying that, but they'd just be jealous )

hahahahahahaha - yeah mate - I know what you mean!!! Thats why I had to add the "don't flame me Bull****" in my post!

The main ones that I've seen are;

Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez RGT5EX
Ibanez RGA121
Jackson RR3/KVX10/(JVX10)
Jackson DK2
Jackson DKMG/DKMGT

Any thoughts please! If any of them are really bad - please let me know!

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
RGA121 is a tad more expensive than RG1570, but if you want a straight out metal guitar, it does better.

The Gibraltar Plus bridge on it is insanely comfortable to palm mute, and it has a heavy chunk of mahogany for the body, so you'll get fatter tones out of it than from the basswood 1570. The necks are the same on both, so 121 won't impede your lead capacity - however, it does not have a tremolo. Preference, really, if you want a Floyd Rose - then 1570, if not, then the RGA.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by sureburt37
you should check out Paul Reed Smith guitars. The ES series is the less expensive models. Check out the Tremonti ES, the ES standard and the Santana ES, all are good choices for your price range. You could also check out gibson SG's. You can also land a decent gibson les paul for under 1k if you find the right store. Guitar center will usually let you talk them down.

ITS SE you moron! NOT ES!

Go ibanez threadstarter!
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by Sapple Pass
ITS SE you moron! NOT ES!

Go ibanez threadstarter!

Good on ya buddy!

Cheers everyone,

*EDIT* What about a schecter Jolly Roger?? Looks flash, but what does it play like??? Saw it on MF - looks pretty flash!! I wouldnt mind having actives.....

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
I just ordered a jackson dk2. I'll let you know what it's like. I've played them at GC and I love the feel.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Quote by pifty
RGA121 is a tad more expensive than RG1570, but if you want a straight out metal guitar, it does better.

The Gibraltar Plus bridge on it is insanely comfortable to palm mute, and it has a heavy chunk of mahogany for the body, so you'll get fatter tones out of it than from the basswood 1570. The necks are the same on both, so 121 won't impede your lead capacity - however, it does not have a tremolo. Preference, really, if you want a Floyd Rose - then 1570, if not, then the RGA.

+1, basically. Just, the rga is quite trebly for a mahogany guitar, it has a very thick maple top and maple neck which brightens it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know u said no schecters but there is always the C1 Hellraiser FR
Everyone recommends the 1570 for anyone these days. The RGA121 would be much better suited to metal due to the mahogany body.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The newer Jackson RR3s(with the actual Seymour Duncans) are awesome, plus you could save some money depending on the finish you choose.