damn right i got the blues is good, there's also a live album called the real deal or something like that that's good. most of his really old albums were produced with a really clean sound, not like all the distortion he used in shows that fired up clapton and hendrix.

also check out youtube, there's some crazy old vids of him playing up there, i got the chance to see him a few years ago and he is awesome.
Damn Right Ive Got the Blues ... one of the best Blues albums of all time.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Yeah, Damn Right I've Got the Blues was the start of his big comeback, and is a fantastic album. But if you want classic Buddy, gotta go for A Man and the Blues.

Feels Like Rain is also great.
I Also saw him live a couple days ago, it was a great concert. But I would recomend His last release Bring Em In, which feature Carlos Santana, Keith richard, John Mayer and a couple of others.
I would also get Live!The Real Deal and as said before Damn Right I Got the blues
I'd go with Damn Right, I Got the Blues, whatever he did with Junior Wells and any Muddy Waters albums with him.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I am going to have to agree with everyone that the essential Buddy Guy album t o get is Damn Right, I've got the Blues
I'd get "A Man and the Blues." It was recorded in the 60's and is an amazing showcase of pure blues talent.
Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo from 1986
Crate X15R
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Screamin' Blues