Hi

Just recently i noticed my old Samick and my Les Paul copy were totally out performing my Gibson SG Standard and i noticed that the gap between the strings and bridge pick ups on those cheaper guitars were a lot closer than the SG.

Could anyone tell me what they think is the approx gap between the bridge pick up and the strings on an SG Standard,I play mainly AC/DC and i'm trying to get the sound right.

Thanks
My Gear
2004 Ibanez RG1570 Prestige Bill Lawrence pick ups Neck & Bridge.
2004 Gibson SG Special
Samick Les Paul Copy?
Marshall Valvestate 8100 Head 100w
2 Marshall 8412 4*12 140w cabs
Zoom 505 II F/X Pedal
I don't think there's a given standard, depends on your string action, and your tastes of course. Closer to strings = more output and a sharper sound, move them away from the strings and you loose output, but get a deeper, mellower sound.

Too close and the pick-up's magnetic field can interfere with your strings and suck your sustain, so be careful.
Just adjust the height instill you find a sound you like.
The closer to the pups the strings are, the more output you get and will generally get you a fuller sound.
If you raise it to much, when playing the higher frets the strings will just be pulled to the pickups by the magnetic pull from the pole pieces and you'll get a lot of noise.
I'd say around about 3/4mm.
id say for a good acdc tone try moving the action as close to the pups as possible becuase acdc's sound is one of the sharpest sounds out there

EDIT: without getting unwanted noise tht is
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
Cheers guys i'll go get a screwdriver and sort it out!
My Gear
2004 Ibanez RG1570 Prestige Bill Lawrence pick ups Neck & Bridge.
2004 Gibson SG Special
Samick Les Paul Copy?
Marshall Valvestate 8100 Head 100w
2 Marshall 8412 4*12 140w cabs
Zoom 505 II F/X Pedal