i want to build an 3-way equilizer with gain and volume pots. how much would this cost. this is my first project, any ideas or schematics
music=life
everything else is just details
In your guitar? sounds like a pretty stupid idea, You'll always need to handle with more than one EQ, it'll really piss you off sometimes.
if you mean in a pedal/stompbox then i'd keep the EQ and gain in seperate boxes, its simpler this way, and for a first project thats essential, there are loads of schematics for pedals out there, fuzz face being a popular first build, the EQ is more doable with the first project under your belt
they have a 3 band EQ buid on www.runoffgroove.com
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
You might just buy a used rack unit, stick it up top of your head. I picked up a decent delay unit, meant for a studio rack or whatever, for about $90 usd. Much easier than building one, I'd say.

You also need to decide if you want parametric or multi-band. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Parametric is probably better in the technical sense because there is less temporal distortion (latent delay) - see, every little EQ fader introduces it's own delay, which is how it works, really, but you can't EQ the sound without gumming it up. Multi-band introduces a lot of delay at various frequencies (duh!) so your sound will be quite artificial.

Here's the deal: multibands are set to specific frequencies, so you have five or more little faders to control those set frequencies. You are unlikely to get a really nice, clean sound out of one of those. A good distorted tone? Hell yes!

Parametrics are built on a basic bass/high foundation, with set "shelf" EQ's controlling the bass range and treble range. The mids are controlled by a "sweep" knob (this sets the frequency that is most affected), a level knob, which controls the amount of EQ just like the low and high shelfs, and a "q" knob, which controls how wide a frequency range is affected by the EQ.

These "parameters" are under your control, and allow you to have a very scientific control over your sound. Because you are only dealing with three little knobs (essentially), there is less distortion than with a multiband EQ. Such units are normally employed to control feedback in a live situation, but like any tool are definitely adaptable to other purposes.

Trouble with parametric, though, is sometimes you just can't quite get the sound you are looking for - say you want a solid metal sound. For metal, hard rock, shred or even fusion you might think about going multi anyway, because your sound will likely be distorted and you're going for a more synthetic groove.

For a jazz tone, or possibly blues (depends on the style of blues, though), you would want parametric.

Confused yet?

Someone suggested a different first project. That's not bad advice.

Still, if you're daring then go for it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Geofex has a whole page on tweaking EQ's.

And I too suggest a different first project. Maybe a booster with a tone pot.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
thanks , ill take ur advice and make this 1 after i get a few esier pedals under my belt
music=life
everything else is just details