I'm not sure whitch pedal I should get? Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive, or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi? I thought i should ask you, since i've only been playin a year and don't know much yet.

I play alternative stuff like Queens of The Stone Age, Metal, and some Emo as well.

I would also like to know if theres any difference between the Russian Big Muff (lol) or the USA version apart form the looks, If so whet are they and which is best?
search man
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join..

Gear:
Schecter Stilleto Deluxe bass
BC Rich Bronze Warlock (for sale)
Zoom 18 Amp (for sale)
I heard that the American one is slightly less fuzzy and more like a distortion/overdriven sound.

I have the Russian one and it's pretty good... if you don't mind some fat fuzzy distortion.
The Russian isn't true bypass, the American is.

Supposedly if a pedal isn't true bypass it sucks up your tone, or makes you tone less pure I guess, frankly, I don't notice

And I have heard there is a difference between the two, I just forget what.

I recommend the Digitech Bass Driver because of the control you have over your distortion sound, you can get a light overdriven sound to distortion to full on fuzz. I have it, use it, and love it. Good buy, decent price, invest in a power supply though, Digi's eat batteries like there's no tomorrow.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
True bypass, while nice, is extrmely overrated and having an entirely true bypass chain isn't that good.
haha
Big Muff all the way. i have the new york made one, and i love it with a fiery passion.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
well the 2 pedals you describe are kinda different, as one is overdive and 1's distortion.

personally i prefer overdrive. guitars have enough distortion.
^you mean ones Fuzz

i love my PD7
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
True bypass, while nice, is extrmely overrated and having an entirely true bypass chain isn't that good.

how can you say that, what can be better then true bypass. i agree, the concept of true bypass is totally overrated, if you don't have a too long effect chain and have no real tonesuckers, there's no real need for it. but how can there be anything better then a direct connection with no other components when the pedal is not used. it just does what it says, no more, no less. A read in the manual of an EBS effect that there switching system performs better then true bypass, bull**** if you ask me.

now back on topic: maybe there should be a sticky thread about distortion and other pedals, those things keep coming back to many times
Quote by riekes
how can you say that, what can be better then true bypass. i agree, the concept of true bypass is totally overrated, if you don't have a too long effect chain and have no real tonesuckers, there's no real need for it. but how can there be anything better then a direct connection with no other components when the pedal is not used. it just does what it says, no more, no less. A read in the manual of an EBS effect that there switching system performs better then true bypass, bull**** if you ask me.

now back on topic: maybe there should be a sticky thread about distortion and other pedals, those things keep coming back to many times

Quote by bass-shy (talkbass guy)
I recently read some interviews with Bob Weil (Visual Sound) and Roger Mayer. They argue that a completely "true bypass" signal chain can cause more problems than it can solve. There are impedance mis-matches all along your chain and these mis-matches change whenever you switch pedals on or off. Apparently, this can load your pickups down and cause tone suck. Also, when a whole string of "true bypass" pedals are all switched off, you essentially have a lead that is the the combined length of the cable from your bass to your first pedal, your whole string of pedals with patch cords in between, and the cable between your last pedal and the input of your amp. In my case, that is about 35 feet. That will seriously degrade tone, especially if you have a passive bass. All of this information is in a book by Dave Hunter titled "Guitar Effects Pedals: A Practical Handbook. There is also a CD with demonstrations of the effects of "true bypass" on tone. They do a side-by-side comparison between buffered signal chains and "true bypass". Quite interesting, IMO.

Anyway, I think the above poster was absolutely right when he stated that "true bypass" and "analog" are blown out of proportion. I'm not totally for or against these things, as long as they sound good. I guess my point is that there seems to be a group of people who would rather have a "true bypass" pedal over anything else because it has a "true bypass", regardless of tone. IMO, one should buy what sounds good and not dwell on such things. Peace.

It makes sense, playa.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Originally Posted by bass-shy (talkbass guy)
I recently read some interviews with Bob Weil (Visual Sound) and Roger Mayer. They argue that a completely "true bypass" signal chain can cause more problems than it can solve. There are impedance mis-matches all along your chain and these mis-matches change whenever you switch pedals on or off. Apparently, this can load your pickups down and cause tone suck. Also, when a whole string of "true bypass" pedals are all switched off, you essentially have a lead that is the the combined length of the cable from your bass to your first pedal, your whole string of pedals with patch cords in between, and the cable between your last pedal and the input of your amp. In my case, that is about 35 feet. That will seriously degrade tone, especially if you have a passive bass. All of this information is in a book by Dave Hunter titled "Guitar Effects Pedals: A Practical Handbook. There is also a CD with demonstrations of the effects of "true bypass" on tone. They do a side-by-side comparison between buffered signal chains and "true bypass". Quite interesting, IMO.

Anyway, I think the above poster was absolutely right when he stated that "true bypass" and "analog" are blown out of proportion. I'm not totally for or against these things, as long as they sound good. I guess my point is that there seems to be a group of people who would rather have a "true bypass" pedal over anything else because it has a "true bypass", regardless of tone. IMO, one should buy what sounds good and not dwell on such things. Peace.

don't get me wrong, i totally agree with this guy and i too think that true bypass is more a marketing thing and is totally overrated. i was just a little aggitated that the EBS manual claimed better performance with their switching system (witch is still bull**** if you ask me). in the end, it all comes down to your setup, matching up different brands and switching systems

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.