Is it absolutly necessary? Is electric tape a substitute? And finally, does it matter where on each pot the wire is soldered or is there a specific area?

Thanks
soldering's fun
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
i would solder jsut because i like doing it.

is it pronounced: Soul-der or Saw-der
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
Quote by thrashster
i would solder jsut because i like doing it.

is it pronounced: Soul-der or Saw-der
saw-DUR
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
I'm actually a huge fan of soldering (i did it alot in a bunch of tech classes) but I don't actually own a solder. So tape will work though?
^ you can get a soldering iron and some solder for around $12 at radio shack. its not too expensive, so id say just grab one and dont use tape.
Another question: does any part of the electronics have to touch up to the metal springs that add tension on the back of a guitar (for instance a strat)?
On rereading that, i realized it's pretty hard to tell what i was talking about. There is ecvidence of soldered wires on this metal plate that holds the 3 springs which keep the tension in back of floyd rose tremolos. Does anyone know what/if/any wires should be connected to this?

Sorry for the double post.
probobly a grounding wire of some sort, but double check before doing anything. and if your wiring a guitar, solder, don't tape!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
^but is it still possible for a guitar to work (omitt sound) w/ tape? its only 1 wire im taping, it ripped off by accident
it will work as a temporary fix but definately get a soldering gun and fix it right when you have a moment.
You could use tape to fix it but the connection would not be as good as it could be if you solder it, and it would prolly sound a bit buzzy or raspy then. A ground wire should be ran to the tension plate (or whatever you call it i say whatever comes to mind)
Teh technical term is a tremolo claw. It's bolted into the guitar with two large screws. The loops of the springs attach to them.

Usually you can just solder a wire to the plate. Just heat up the plate and the wire at teh same time so solder flows fluidly. u`u
Quote by Unclesam186
^but is it still possible for a guitar to work (omitt sound) w/ tape? its only 1 wire im taping, it ripped off by accident

yes, it will work, but it will buzz like hell, especially if the guitar isnt shielded. see, the reason for the ground in the trem cavity is because it uses your body as a ground, because you are touching the strings, the strings are touching the bridge, bridge touching springs, then to plate, and i leads to ground. notice on a strat that if you dont touch the strings,bridge or jack, or tuners the guitar buzzes a little, thats electrical hum. when you touch any of the above mentioned, the hum is reduced, but it isnt completely cancelled, because you arent holding a ground rod that is driven into earth. if you were, hum would be cancelled, but you may electrocute yourself, if the amp isnt grounded. its kind of complicated, but definitely use solder and hook that ground wire up.
First of all, no, dont tape a connection. Only if you are testing it for like a second to see if it even works, but only with offboard wiring. Second, there is no reason at all for connecting anything to your tremolo springs. Why would you think you need to do that?
^Because it looks there WAS once a soldered wire there. Go read dustinp's response.
it really needs to be soldered, or the wire will work itself loose very quickly, as well as buzzin like hell, or maybe not even connecting properly in the first place. i'd advise a fairly low wattage soldering iron, anout 15-30W, as this is easily hot enough to solder your guitar, and wont fry any components/ you too quickly. you can pick one up for next to nothing. also im from England, and i've only ever heard "soul-der" but i guess its one of those things that you can pronounce pretty much any way you want... try Marzocchi lol. I dont see that ground wire being essential, though it may help reduce hum... if it were essential then hardtail guitarists and bassists would be pretty much screwed
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
First of all, no, dont tape a connection. Only if you are testing it for like a second to see if it even works, but only with offboard wiring. Second, there is no reason at all for connecting anything to your tremolo springs. Why would you think you need to do that?

The wire to the tremolo claw is to ground the strings.

Unclesam186- taping isn't a good idea your much better buying a soldering iron, there pretty cheap mine cost me about $AU12 and i got the iron, a stand, some solder and desoldering braide, well worth it.

I pronuce it soul-der.