my epi les paul custom is driving me insane, they pickups are like super muddy and its annoying the **** out of me. So I've decided to just go and replace them. I play stuff like Children of Bodom, Protest The Hero, Alexisonfire, Guns N Roses, In Flames, and Pantera. I wanted to get emgs but they are kinda expensive and require all that special wiring. So i was wondering should i go all out and get active emgs, get passive emgs, or find another kind of pickup? I dont want to get to crazy with the cost.

Thanks in advance!
Originally posted by Danno13 ^yea he's right. Don't be a fag and buy a Strat Pack. Squiers are the devil. Well, actually, the devil is too cool to be asscociated with Squier. Squiers are the hot topic of the guitar world.
Go ahead and get active EMG's you won't regret it.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Well, since your name is Punk Rocker Lad, I assume you play punk, so i'd get a Duncan invader.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
lol my profile is very misleading..... i made it like that to through people off and make them assume things, i dont really like much punk at all actually hahahah

anyway, so none of HZ model are good?
Originally posted by Danno13 ^yea he's right. Don't be a fag and buy a Strat Pack. Squiers are the devil. Well, actually, the devil is too cool to be asscociated with Squier. Squiers are the hot topic of the guitar world.
get the EMG 81/5 combo, you wont regret it. and if anyone tells you they are toneless, ignore them. they have beautiful cleans and even more powerful distortion.

I have the 81/85 combo in mine now so here is my rundown of each pup

81- Very tight bass, almost too tight when playing clean, but still good. turn up the gain and the thing is the crucnchiest beast you will ever play.

85- Very loose bass, and overall more of a loose sound, absolutely beautiful on cleans, if you turn down the volume a bit it gets REALLY jazzy, great overall cleans, distortion is more suited for rythym at least thats what i find with the loose bass type sound.

Middle position- This is unbelievable, the cleans you gte when you mix the pups is amazing no matter what anyone else says. distortion awesome too, the mixed characteristics of the pups makes them even better together.

i havent played a 60 but i hear its better for cleans, i dont know how, cause the only way would be to decrease the output. so i say 81/85

EDIT: as for Passive emg's i cant even compare them to what i have, its a whole different league. go for the actives man, but when you have it routed and wired, do it for 2 nine volt batteries instead of one, thats what my friend did with this modded fat strat, it makes them louder (not a whole load) but it just makes them crisper, i cant explain it, but if you heard you would know.
ESP LTD M-400
VOX AD50VT
BOSS MT-2
VOX Wah

Coming Soon:
Genz-Benz El Diablo 60-C
Last edited by VFrules at Aug 6, 2006,
Don't get stick on passive EMGs. There's a whole load more passive pickups in the world than there are active ones, so try and experiment with all kinds of pickups.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
damn this is going to kill my budget
well if i get the EMG's there is a little something else i wanna get
EMG makes something called an Afterburner anyone have any experiece with these?
dont get it, they are $45 and just adds kind of a i hate to say it, but bad gain. i mean its okay, but i would get a distortion pedal first, then you save on wiring too.
ESP LTD M-400
VOX AD50VT
BOSS MT-2
VOX Wah

Coming Soon:
Genz-Benz El Diablo 60-C
Quote by Punk Rocker Lad
damn this is going to kill my budget
well if i get the EMG's there is a little something else i wanna get
EMG makes something called an Afterburner anyone have any experiece with these?

yeah i have it... its worthless
check out my topic about "AXL guitars" and see the guy named zekk. He has nothing but good things to say about the stock pick ups on that 200 guitar. They are passive emgs.
Quote by McLeet
check out my topic about "AXL guitars" and see the guy named zekk. He has nothing but good things to say about the stock pick ups on that 200 guitar. They are passive emgs.

And they are P-90's, emg DESIGNED P-90's. Did you read anything form that thread?

And if I'm not mistaken, P-90's have more noise than a Bucker, but sound somethin like a Humbucker/Single coil combo.
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
p-90 is not for metal
ESP LTD M-400
VOX AD50VT
BOSS MT-2
VOX Wah

Coming Soon:
Genz-Benz El Diablo 60-C
Meh, P90s can be good for metal. They hum, not as much as singles and not as little as Buckers. As for sound, they've got a sound for slightly more mellow metal, like some of metallica softer songs. (fade to black...)

Some of the Mayhams have buckers. the one AXL shows on there website does.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.