I'm wanting to build a single pickup guitar (p-90), but with a different body and whatnot. if my dad lets me (he has a schecter neck i wanna use and has the the p-90's). he most likely wont let me. but, if he does, i'll really just need to make a body. what wood should i use; and does the shape affect tone at all? it'll suck if i make it, but it'll be fun. is there a certain way to do any of the stuff? thanks.

the body would be a flying v/bc rich design. more v-ish though.
Last edited by mcra7xra at Aug 6, 2006,
Shape, no. Wood, yes. I just built a strat (finished yesterday!) out of ash, and it sounds beautiful.
as for shape, its a yes AND no question

A maple block about 2'' by 4'' is gunna have less tone then a maple les paul

make the body big ENOUGH so you dont become disappointed from all the hard work of building a guitar

if you know how to do tops, use swamp ash with 1/2" maple top

sounds glorious
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Well, the ash for the strat was $15. I don't know how big you want yours, but it's in that range. And as to swamp ash v. northern ash, I think mine is northern (I bought it in Rochester NY and they didn't say which, so I assume the type by region) and it sounds fine by itself. I don't know what it would do with maple.
And, yes, size makes a difference. I meant in terms of a strat shape v. a flying v shape.
i have no idea of how to make guitars or use wood stuff.
so how thick and whatever should it be?
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
as for shape, its a yes AND no question

A maple block about 2'' by 4'' is gunna have less tone then a maple les paul

Lies!
the only thing that the shape can change on the sound is the amount of sustain, if you route too much you lose sustain but the tone is always the same.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
1-3/4" is pretty standard (Strats, RG's, etc).

Typical LP's have a 1-3/4" mahogany 'bottom' with a 5/8" (or 3/4") maple top on the edge. When it's carved they usually bring the edge around 1/4", so the body thickness at the sides would be 2" for a LP.

You can make it any thickness you want really, just nothing too thin.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by gwitersnamps
Well, the ash for the strat was $15. I don't know how big you want yours, but it's in that range. And as to swamp ash v. northern ash, I think mine is northern (I bought it in Rochester NY and they didn't say which, so I assume the type by region) and it sounds fine by itself. I don't know what it would do with maple.
And, yes, size makes a difference. I meant in terms of a strat shape v. a flying v shape.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but where in the hell did you find nothern ash big enough for a strat for 15 bucks?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but where in the hell did you find nothern ash big enough for a strat for 15 bucks?

I thought the same exact thing.
Quote by mcra7xra
how much would it cost for all the hardware? (tuning thingamabobs, a bridge, etc.)

Find a Doner guitar for cheep or the sky is the limit depending on where you want to go with it.
Quote by Wiley0717
Find a Doner guitar for cheep or the sky is the limit depending on where you want to go with it.

i'm gonna try to MAKE a guitar. the keyword being make. (not being a jerk...)