Page 1 of 2
Hey guys!

So, I made a lot of money this summer, and was hoping to invest in my second guitar.

This guitat WILL NOT replace my SZ....I want a second guitar to compliment it....hopefully with a trem for a little more versatility!

First, I was planning to buy a PRS Singlecut (my dream guitar) and use my SZ as the backup, but after my Gig last night, I decided I don't need it! I recently swapped the rectifier tubes in my Dual Recto for JJ GZ34's and it brought a completely new tone to my amp. Everything is soo much tighter! Not only the tone, but it feels like I'm playing a new guitar because of it!

So, I decided to look into a second quality guitar.....with a TREM!

My first Idea, as I have always loved Ibanez, was an RG.....570 or 1570 more than likely, or a S, unless I can find something else on ebay. I will go either new or used, as money isn't really much of an issue.

Are there any other guitars you would recommend? From what I've played and heard, the RG and S seem to be the best for the money.

Next, I want to swap the pups right away!

What would you guys recommend? Again, my first thought was the PRS Tremonti's...I have them in my SZ and they pair gorgeously with my Recto! But is there anything else? I don't feel the need to dish out for Bareknuckles....at all (sorry Dave ) ....how about EMG's? Never really tried them......

EROCK....if you come around to this, I know you have tried quite a few pups in RGs....what do you have to say?

Thanks for all the help, yet again!
Maybe an Ibanez s470. Or maybe a jackson soloist. Whats your price range?

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
S-470 or the S-520

The ZR trem is excellent, just as good an an Original FR.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I don't know too much about ibanez, but if you want one guitar to complement the other, usually you want them to have different sounds, therefore, different pickups.
I've heard Dimarzio Evos and Breeds are good, but it depends on your style.
Take it from me, the newer Prestige RG's are fantastic. I have one of the neck thru RGs and the sustain is near infinite (gross exageration, but you know what I'm going for). If you don't like the S (which I have heard are also very good) Than look into the RGs. The 220 is amazing, but the neck pickup could use tweaking or swapping. The Edge Pro is an amazing trem, which is what you are looking for. I seriously recommend looking into the RG 220 Prestige or, secondly, an S.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Thank you! Exactly what I've been thinking!

I love the feel of the S! The bridge is very smooth for a trem, and the thin body is just awesome!

Keep the thoughts coming!

Any recommendations on pups? Do I want to use the same ones in both guitars?
hey, you can buy my dream guitar since money is not a problem... It's the Ibanez S2170FB Prestige Figured Bubinga Electric Guitar (with Case)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAS2170FB

it looks pretty amazing...and its got the ZR
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
S has a more familar shape to an SZ user, but...

Quote by me

Some things about the S series
So you're thinking about getting a Saber? There are some things about the S series Ibanez guitars that make them very different from the other instruments, and are the result of the superslim body. Yes, it's mahogany, but due to the size of it, it has very little mahogany in the body block, so do not expect the same sustain from it that you get from your Les Paul. S series likes fast runs, intricate picking, and tapping - it doesn't accentuate the string noise but lets the tapped notes ring. The tremolo cavity on the S is also quite shallow, resulting in limited arming range. If I were to tell by the feel, it's about half the range of the same exact bridge in an RG body. However, ZR, Edge, or Lo-pro Edge are great bridges that will not disappoint with tuning stability or pitch return, despite their decreased range.

Having both, I feel more comfortable with an S body than the RG body, but if you're looking for a full-ranged tremolo and longer sustain, go for RG.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by edwardthegreat5
S-470 or the S-520

The ZR trem is excellent, just as good an an Original FR.

couldnt have said it better myself

Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Ive got an RG570, and i love it.......

Used 5xx series/7xx series, or a newer Prestige model.

As far as pickups, Dimarzio and Ibanez are peanut butter and jelly.

Id say go for a ToneZone bridge and a Paf Pro neck, HS-3 for mid if its hsh.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
If I had the money for a new guitar, I'd like something with coil taps, thus I suggested Carvin, cheap neck thru guitars, coil taps, Floyd Rose for under a $1000...pretty good deal but I guess they'd lose to a Wizard neck and their pickups aren't much talked about.
I've got a '98 RG520QS /w Tone Zone/Air Norton. Blue quilt/green pickups, perfect condition, Blue cliplok Strap, All original parts included, with case. And im in fact selling it.

I dont sell over the net though.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Anyone know anything about the ESP trems? More specifically, on the MH-400 (or similar) models? Reviews seem to be very good.

Thats the only downside the trem its a stamped piece of crap like on budget guitars. The S is very nice with its ZR and mahogany body but the neck is thicker than an RG 1570's. You might as well get a Prestige Wizard neck if you have the money to play with, played with heavy gain the basswood vs. mahogany body isnt so noticeable and can be compensated for with your amps eq or an eq pedal inline.
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
the hellraiser neck is identical to your SZ though and the body shape as well, prob made in teh same Korean factory, Id get the japanese Prestige RG 1570 for a really different feel
1570 Ftw
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
ESP/LTD M1000. About 950, nck thru, mahogany body, maple top, EMG's, an OFR, etc etc.

Pwns the hell out of the 1570 IMO.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
ESP/LTD M1000. About 950, nck thru, mahogany body, maple top, EMG's, an OFR, etc etc.

Yup. This.

Or a schecter.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

nah older ones are maple body newer ones alder and the neck is fatter like a schecter or SZ not to mention its $250 more than a 1570, and you get a hard case for that $750
Quote by CustomCustom
nah older ones are maple body newer ones alder and the neck is fatter like a schecter or SZ not to mention its $250 more than a 1570, and you get a hard case for that $750

Don't even make me go rounds about this.

LTD>RG

Spice it up, buy something other than an ibanez.
Not to mention the 81/81. The pinnacle of versatility, 'ndeed.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by CustomCustom

Eh, alder. And the neck is a Thin U.

You can get another pickup than the 81 easily. EMGs hold value great, for the price you can get selling your old EMG you can get a new EMG of another style (60, 85) for teh same.
haha
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Don't even make me go rounds about this.

LTD>RG

Spice it up, buy something other than an ibanez.
ok the Korean made $250 more guitar is the better deal with the fat neck
^ every time I'm playing my dean and i switch back to my s#itty ibanez, i really notice how much thinner the neck is
and with it tuned lower and the strap high, i feel like petrucci
i allways feel the need to play These Walls lol

i love this one, plays great, and everytime i go into the local shop and see this one i just about s#it myself, just a crazy looking guitar
and everyone looks different with the burled poplar top
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Last edited by powerage225 at Aug 6, 2006,
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Eh, alder. And the neck is a Thin U.

You can get another pickup than the 81 easily. EMGs hold value great, for the price you can get selling your old EMG you can get a new EMG of another style (60, 85) for teh same.
sit down and play the LTDs, the necks are just as thick as an Ibanez SZ or Schecter C series, very much thicker than a Prestige wizard not to mention thickly laquered and sticky. The satin finish maple Presitge wizard is better unless you dont want to play fast. Hell the LTD/SZ/Schecter is thicker than a 60s Les Paul slim taper neck on an Epi LP standard, Ive played all of the above and the wizard is special.
Quote by powerage225
i love this one, plays great, and everytime i go into the local shop and see this one i just about s#it myself, just a crazy looking guitar
and everyone looks different with the burled poplar top

Not much difference in them with the standard S470, other than the finish. That's one $1200 Ibanez I won't defend.

Quote by CustomCustom
ok the Korean made $250 more guitar is the better deal with the fat neck

It's the beginnings of the Ibanez sucks because we fervently claim so! club. But we know the truth.
Genocide,

Since were on the topic of LTD>RG

Ibanez RG321MH 280$

-Mahogony body
-24 frets
-String thru
-AANJ

vs

LTDMH250 420$

-Agathis body
-24 frets
-String thru
-Neck thru

.... Hmmm, Looks like the 321MH is the clear winner here, seeing as how the LTD has a ****ing AGATHIS body at almost double the price as the better 321mh

Ibanez S470 450-499$

-Mahogony body
-ZR Trem
-HSH
-22 Frets

LTD MH250

-AGATHIS body
-SH!TTY LFR
-HH
-24 frets

Yet again, even though 50$ more expensive, the s470 clearly takes the win

And, the 1570 compared to the M1000, the only thing the M has over the 1570 is the EMG pickups, and i prefer a natural neck, over that slow ass painted neck.... Proper AANJ is just as good or better than a neck thru, AND the 1570 includes a 100$ case.

BAM

Backup your statements next time.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
well if moneys not an issue and everything, I'd look for a JS series either 1000 or 1200. no need to change the pickups, really. id go for the 1000 cuz it comes with the Fred/PAF Pro combo instead of the signature neck pickup thats in the 1200. or i'd look on ebay for a prestige S series that has a Lo Pro Edge. you get the best of both S and RG. just my opinion.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
what are you after from the tone of the guitar, eric? are you after a super-shred guitar? do you want a guitar that sounds similar to what you already have, but with a trem? does the neck profile matter to you (dimensions)? etc.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd like something a bit different....slightly faster neck....slightly different tone....

This isn't going to be an all-out shred guitar...I need it to be a bit more versatile than that....

I'm thinking more like Satch or Vai, but I don't want to copy their tones....I need to have a nice smooth lead, both for slower and faster ones, but be able to pull off a mean rythmn sound too.....

After listing to more and more EMG artists, I don't think EMGs are for me...I'll try to test drive them in person, but if they sound like the guitars on the album of Bullet for My Valentine, for example, I just don't like that kinda of a tone.....too sterile for me. Love the heaviness, but passive can beat that easily.

So, I think I'll be staying passive....the Tone Zone / PAF setup doesn't sound too bad....opinions?
^ RG1570 man...

Basswood and H-S-H is VERY versatile and 24 frets is very versatile, from rock to all out shred dude. And the thin neck and excellent fret access compliments that for sure.

Either a 1570 or Carvin makes wonderful guitars.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^^ well, like most things it depends on your budget. For the price of the 1570, in my opinion at least, you'll be hard pushed to beat a 1570, with a pickup swap. that's not to say you can't beat a 1570, which is what a lot of people in this forum seem to think because of the way it's recommended left right and centre...

for the pickups, again it depends on budget, and also what you think is a reasonable amount to spend on them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2