Hey, I've been looking at getting a new acoustic guitar (About $200 is my price range). I still have a steel string acoustic, but it's 40 years old, and the bridge is cracked and the nut is chipped. I've also been thinking about starting doing some flamenco (which pretty much needs a classical guitar).

So, what would you guys say? Should I get a new steel string, or get a classical? Any experience? Which would you say is more versatile? Should I just go to Hell for even proposing this comparison?
I would say the steel string is ever so slightly more versatile but if you want to play flamenco get a classical. Even if you give up flamenco you'll still be able to use a classical guitar for playing other styles and classical guitars just sound sexalicious.
"It's too late. I've already paid a month's rent on the battlefield."
Quote by Unstable_Mind
I would say the steel string is ever so slightly more versatile but if you want to play flamenco get a classical. Even if you give up flamenco you'll still be able to use a classical guitar for playing other styles and classical guitars just sound sexalicious.

Sexalicious is good That's what I'm leaning toward. Now I just have to find a nice one and get the cash together
Steel strings and classical guitars are for totally different things... I wouldn't say they're comparable. However, if you want to learn flamenco then you need a classical guitar.

I apologise for the unhelpfulness of this reply.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
if you wanna play flamenco get a flamenco guitar dont get a classical, itll probably lead to some bad habits
if you want to play flamenco,you must get a classical guitar...

hey Mosrite,is there a flamenco guitar..? i never heard of it...how does it look like..?
A flemenco guitar is nearly identical to a classical but:

It is smaller bodied and is nearly always made of spanish cypress and spruce, basically gives it a sharper sound.

They also have pickguard type pieces of plactic to drum with and do other rhythmic stuff without damaging the body.

The neck is also designed to be able to incorporate a capo, as it use alot in flemenco styles.

I think thats about it.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I first started out on acoustic, and enjoyed it. Then I moved on to electric, still flatpicking..... Within the last two years, I have moved to fingerstyle classical, and I really enjoy it. You can sound full by yourself. It also really helps your sense of harmony, since you will be playing bass notes at the same time. It's also a great feeling to be able to just pick up a guitar and go, no need to scramble for a pick.

I'd suggest classical if there is any fingerstyle genre you are interested in. They are fine for flamenco, trust me.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Flamenco guitars are NOT similar to classical.

In terms of physical construction, they can get rather different. In terms of tonal differences, they are worlds apart.

To learn serious flamenco, forget abt steel strings or classical guitars.

'Can a flamenco guitar be played classical?' To answer that, I can play classical on an electric. But does it really 'work'? I don't think so.

All the various kinds are different for various reasons. And to go seriously into any particular style, using any other guitar will hold back your progress at intermediate to higher levels.
Quote by imLoUsY
Flamenco guitars are NOT similar to classical.

In terms of physical construction, they can get rather different. In terms of tonal differences, they are worlds apart.

To learn serious flamenco, forget abt steel strings or classical guitars.

'Can a flamenco guitar be played classical?' To answer that, I can play classical on an electric. But does it really 'work'? I don't think so.

All the various kinds are different for various reasons. And to go seriously into any particular style, using any other guitar will hold back your progress at intermediate to higher levels.

That may be true, however, he isn't entirely sure about what he wants to do yet. He has "been thinking about" and what if it turns out flamenco is not for him? I don't play classical music on my classical guitar, but it still works out fine. I know where you are coming from, but I'd say a classical is slightly more versatile than a flamenco one (and easier to get a hold of!). At this stage in the game, I wouldn't suggest specializing unless the player had a sure direction to go in.

Anyway, ImLousy knows his stuff pretty well, so heed his warning.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
i agree with imLoUsY,classical only can be played with classical guitar...
i had played classical using my friend's guitar (steel strings),its not working...
i cant played very well..
the same condition if i played on electic guitar...
it doesnt really work...

i prefer used classical style if there is plucking part in a song...its relaxing

go on nightwind
I suggest you get a Classical if your going to play Flamenco. Classicals are quite versatile though and can't be used for many different types of music where as Steel String Acoustics are better for classic rock/blues, etc.

I don't like Classical sounds as much as Steel String, but that's just me. Pretty much because I like to play rock and some blues is the main reason, but I've used my Dads classical and I was impressed with the sound it can get, but wasn't right for me. But I seriously suggest you pick up a Classical if your gonna play Classical.
Flamenco on steel string= hurt nails.
I do some flamenco stuff on my steel string, get a classical guitar .....................................................................................just some advice.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Flamenco on steel string= hurt nails.
I do some flamenco stuff on my steel string, get a classical guitar .....................................................................................just some advice.

that was a good advice...flamenco just only can be played on nylon strings..