ok so I was looking into getting an overdrive pedal or soemthing like it

I found these THD Hot Plates, I was wondering how they compare to a ibanez tubescreamer, which one you think is better?

thanks.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
Hot Plates arent an OD there antentuators or however thats spelled.They make it so you can drive the power sections of your amps without turning the volume to ear bleeding levels.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
wouldn't a hot plate and a overdrive pedal do the same thing? or am i confused?
Vox ac30
overdrives will push the preamp, whereas with an attenuator you can drive the poweramp, which will be a bit more articulate and warmer.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
so would it be safe to say I should buy an attenuator instead of an overdrive pedal
Vox ac30
Depends do you want to push your amp to be louder and more distorted or do you like it the way it is and want to push it to its limits with out blowing out your eardrums.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
Attenuators allow you to turn your amp all the way up to get it's most gain, but keep it at quiet volumes. If you like your amps distorsion but want to practice in the house, the Hot Plate is great.

If you don't care that much about volume level and want more gain from your amp you need an OD or distorsion pedal. This would also allow you to have more gain at lower levels and much more gain at high levels.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.