I just bought a Hartke bass amp(head and cab),both are 400 watts and the cab is a 4x10. I play a 5 string bass,and my problem is when I play on the low B string the amp clips.The amp clips when the volume is set at 3 or more. Also the EQ is flat so I am not overdriving the amp. Is my amp not a good amp or do I need more watts(if so how many) or do I need something else besides a 4x10 cab.
Thanks
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
did you check your cord? it could be that, or your amp may be set up wrong or possibly your bass input
turn the gain down
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
My cord is fine. What do you mean by my bass input? As for gain,my amp does not have a gain knob though the amp clips when all of the EQ is flat.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
My head is a HA4000.
greenday1182
that head has two inputs labeled -10dB and -20dB...same as mine...I forgot which one is for active and which one is for passsive though...

my amp clips too (HA3000 - 300W - usually run at about 50% volume) and I plug into the -10dB input...I only use my bass' EQ though, I only boost the low mids on the amp...I dont boost the bass on my bass too much though, its at about 80% so I dont think I'm overloading the amp...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by Names_mud
My cord is fine. What do you mean by my bass input? As for gain,my amp does not have a gain knob though the amp clips when all of the EQ is flat.
Your amp should two level controls, the master is usualy on the far right, the input is usualy on the left, in most cases the master should higher than the input level.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I am using the active imput.Would it help if I got an equalizer pedal and just used the EQ on that instead of the amp head.
greenday1182
Quote by Names_mud
I am using the active imput.Would it help if I got an equalizer pedal and just used the EQ on that instead of the amp head.
No; find out why your amp isn't working as you would like, you won't solve anything by adding bits of gear!
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Is the cab a Hartke as well?? Sometimes brand mis-matches will clip the cab. The GK 1001 will clip with a lot of other amps except for the GK SBX cabinets it was made to be used with. I have my 10dB pad on all of the time, and I still have more volume than I need

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Yes my cab is a Hartke. I figure that I will buy a 1x15 sub to match the 4x10 and that should fix pretty much everything.
greenday1182
Quote by Names_mud
Yes my cab is a Hartke. I figure that I will buy a 1x15 sub to match the 4x10 and that should fix pretty much everything.
I've met some dumb people on this forum but you take the can; how the heck do you think that getting an extra cab is going to solve your problem, surely this is a wind up, if not you'r too stupid to be a Bassist!
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Is the cab a Hartke as well?? Sometimes brand mis-matches will clip the cab. The GK 1001 will clip with a lot of other amps except for the GK SBX cabinets it was made to be used with. I have my 10dB pad on all of the time, and I still have more volume than I need
As long as the impedence is within the amp specs the cab brand shouldn't matter.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Originaly posted by John Swift
I've met some dumb people on this forum but you take the can; how the heck do you think that getting an extra cab is going to solve your problem, surely this is a wind up, if not you'r too stupid to be a Bassist!

I called Guitar Center(the place where I bought the amp) and they said that it would help.The reason it was clipping was because the amp could not handle the low B. A 1x15 cab is suited for low end,a 2x10 or in this case a 4x10 is suited for high end. So an 1x15 extendtion cab would help.
Also I posted this thread asking for help,not to be insulted.If you think my intellegence is lacking,that is your opinion but I ask that you keep it to yourself. I would like to thank the other people who replied and were helpful.
greenday1182
Last edited by Names_mud at Aug 8, 2006,
the strap on my conklin snapped off once and it messed up my input jack, which will make my amp clip sometimes. did you check your bass for that? usually turning or touching the jack while its plugged in will give it away.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
By the way...if you've just bought it, why not instead of buying a seperate 1x15, exchange your 4x10 (which should still be under the retailer's guarentee if you've bought it recently) for a 1x15, explaining that the reason you're exchanging is due to the product being unsatisfactory/not working as desired
Quote by Names_mud
I called Guitar Center(the place where I bought the amp) and they said that it would help.The reason it was clipping was because the amp could not handle the low B. A 1x15 cab is suited for low end,a 2x10 or in this case a 4x10 is suited for high end. So an 1x15 extendtion cab would help.
Also I posted this thread asking for help,not to be insulted.If you think my intellegence is lacking,that is your opinion but I ask that you keep it to yourself. I would like to thank the other people who replied and were helpful.

If that really is the answer that 'Guitar Centre' gave you then they are insulting your intelligence not me, if you believe that answer then you deserve to be insulted
The Hartke 400 watt amp will handle the bottom B, if it clips then it is nothing to do with the cab, amps clip not cabs!
The cab has nothing to do with clipping, the problem lies elsewhere, a 4x10 is well capable of handling a bottom B although not as well as a 15"
To summarise unless your speakers are faulty the 400 watt amp should work fine, if it doesn't then start with your bass in another amp, your amp in another cab and also check you leads/cables, even the battery in your bass if it is active can cause break-up. Adding another cab will just give more distortion, make the store richer and you poorer.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
of coures guitar center would tell you u need another cab. welcome to capitalism.

i'd listen to john swift. isolate the problem first.