Hi, I have a question about the 10 inch radius on fretboards. Ive heard most people say they arnt really good. I would like to buy the music man SS guitar but it has the 10 inch radius. There are no stores close to when i live to test it, and they probably dont carry MM. Can you please tell me about this 10'' radius? Please sugest a good guitar for classic rock up to around $1300 that might be better. Thanks
Radius is only the curve on the fretboard, and has nothing to do with tone or anything. Basically, the smaller the radius, the more curved the fretboard is. This is great for chording and such, but when you go to solo higher up, bending and such the radius will choke out your notes because it's so curved. Higher radii' (like Jacksons with 16" radius boards) are better for soloing, but lack in the chording department (hard to chord on). Now a days a lot of custom shop guitars/necks come with a compound radius board where near the first few frets the radius is low (like 7") and as you move up the board it flattens out to 16" for soloing.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Hmm, All it says is 10'' not like it starts at 10 and gets flatter. I am also looking at a Carvin DC127 with the 12'' but also offer 14''. Would that be a good choice?
If the guitar has a compound radius, it will say it. It wont say 9" - 16", it'll say compound radius. Carvins are great guitars. I love them! You can choose either radius, 14" or 12". Whatever you like. Do you solo a lot?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
F what people say, Music Mans are superb guitars with excellent necks.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Yes i like to do the solo. I wasnt saying the MM wasnt a good guitar, just people say the 10" radius in general isnt great. I have asked about this on the carvin forum also. Thanks
Quote by Funky P
F what people say, Music Mans are superb guitars with excellent necks.

+1. I'm used to an Ibanez with 16" radius, and any music mans (men? ) I've played have been awesome. To be honest, as long as you aren't down to like 7" or something really small, I really can't tell all that much difference between say 12" and 16". Though I can tell the difference between minute differences in nut widths and lots of other people can't, so maybe that's a personal preference thing- in other words, maybe you would notice the difference in the smaller radius.

but yeah, chris/algee is spot on with his definitions, not that I had any doubt that he wouldn't be, lol.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll just agree, but I'll chime in that nut widths don't bother me (much...) but I CAN feel a difference in radii. My Ibanez (12") feels much flatter than my Fender (10" I think)
^^ well, i suppose i was a little ambiguous in what I meant there, danno. I CAN notice a difference, it just doesn't bother me all that much, as long as it's over about 10" i suppose (since I still liked the music men I tried).

^ So yeah, I thought bending was fine on the music men I've tried (though one of those was a luke, at 12", though I've tried an axis, and assuming it wasn't a custom, or the spec has changed in the past (it was second hand), it would have been 10"). Some of the signature models are more than 10", or you could get a custom build (though that's liable to cost). EDIT: actually, they won't allow custom builds. I thought they would, as they have an "instrument builder" on the website, but apparently that's only to allow you to see any instrument they build in any colour.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 7, 2006,
^Ah, cheers then.

I don't find it harder to bend, Hoppes, but it's certainly easier to bend off the fretboard on the higher strings (I usually bend the G and B down, E up)
Thanks for helping. I will order one and try it, and if it doesnt work i will sent it back!
^ aye, that'd be a good idea. I know in the UK if you order something without trying it, you have 7 days to send it back for a full refund (minus postage), since you bought it unseen.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?