Well on my next guitar I'm planning on using some heavier strings. What exactly is gonna happen? First I'm just going to use .011s, but what should I do. By the way, the .014s will be for standard B. And it's an Ibanez 370DX
a couple things might happen. depending on what gauge strings were previously on there, you might need to get a truss rod adjustment, and if you have a floating trem, youll need to adjust the springs in the back to make up for the extra tension.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
ummm if you dont know what your doing with a truss rod dont mess with it you can screw your neck for life or even break your neck
Quote by dertjoe
ummm if you dont know what your doing with a truss rod dont mess with it you can screw your neck for life or even break your neck

I hope your talking about the guitar.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
what if i were to just go from 9s to 11s on a regular ibanez without a trem? would anything happen or need adjusted?
i changed my 370dx from 9-42's -10-52's. All that needed to be done is the truss rod slightly loosend and spring tension slightly loosened and inotation adjusted
You can use 14s. People have used 16s and 18s before now for E standard. And I'm fairly sure a trem won't make much difference to how heavy the strings you use are, you'll just need to tighten the trem up a bit.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Unless you drop tune, or you have a long scale guitar, baritone preferably, not a great idea.
It will be pretty unplayable.
i have an ibanez without a locking trem and i don't know what you mean by long scale guitar and its probably not this but it has 24 frets so if that has anything to do with it then yeah.
Switching string size is a hella lot less complicated then what these dudes are saying. The only thing i had to do one my rr3 going from 42 E to 48 E was reintonate it. But thats just cuz i have a floyd pro on it
Unbakedgravy
That's all fine and good but this guys going from like 48s (low E) to 60 (low E)
One last thing, will 14's in B standard play like 11's in regular standard or something?I would guess it should. I'm also guessing that reintonating would involve some sort of action adjustment?
Quote by beckyjc
Unbakedgravy
That's all fine and good but this guys going from like 48s (low E) to 60 (low E)

Yeah I agree. if hes going to 14s on the high E string then the low E string has got to be 70+....which is, IMO, unplayable on a standard guitar. Even in drop B...drop A maybe. But still...