I have a fairly cheapo (~$200) guitar with a Wilkinson tremolo in it. I love the guitar except how it friggin chews through strings sometimes. I had the guy at the shop that sold it to me take a look and he said he saw nothing really wrong with it and suggested I rub the saddles down with pencil lead when changing strings. It still eats strings pretty frequently though (didn't have my A on there for even a week not long ago). I use GHS Boomers 11-50s. I do a little yanking upward for the hole Dimebag trick kinda stuff, but most of my pretty infrequent whammy use is for a little bit of vibrato on bent notes.

Any body got any ideas on how to cut down on the frequent string breaks?
I'm almost considering maybe trying a lower gauge string to ease the tension a bit, would this be a good idea?
My Stuffs:
-ZZ Ryder Empire (with Wilkinson trem.)
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Zoom 505ii (was only $15, and came with an skb case)
-Crate FXT120
double locking tremelos are setup for 9 gauge strings
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
Its not a double locking, just a floater.
My Stuffs:
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Crate FXT120
where do the strings break? are they breaking at the saddles? is it on all the strings?

sounds like u could have shapr points or burrs on the saddles.

if thats the case u would need to file the saddles, or buy string saver saddles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It breaks at the bridge right? In really rare as cases, the bridge might be worn out a bit and cuts the string.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I just looked at a picture of a wilkinson tremolo and I saw something in a magazine about some sort of graphite string saver saddles. It said pearl Jam uses them if that helps you find them.
At the saddles, usually A or D string but they all break quite a bit. The saddles get little grooves that match the winding on the string. I do file them every once in a while.

The guy said he didn't see any burs, but for all I know he could just not want to deal with me and was trying to put me off until the warrantee was up.
My Stuffs:
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Crate FXT120
Buy some replacement saddles like the graph tech ones or something. They have no sharp edges and graphite is more naturally slippery than steel.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
How much would some replacement saddles cost? If its too big of a hit I'll just tough it out and wait 'til my mom or I can afford a new guitar.
My Stuffs:
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Crate FXT120
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Graph_Tech_Strat_Style_Saddles.html

$34.

its an easy swap out and not a bad investment.
u probably spent as much on strings already.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Lol yeah, probably. Thanks for the help.

Would they fit on one like this(basically what mine is, cept not gold :/ ) :
Attachments:
wilki.jpg
My Stuffs:
-Marshall Lead 12
-Ibanez Metal Screamer
-Crate FXT120
Last edited by Trail-OfDead at Aug 6, 2006,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62