i sanded down the neck on my epi lp custom, like zakk wylde's guitar and at first i really didn't notice a difference in playability...which was dumb because i went to guitar center and played another lp custom and couldn't believe how slow the finished neck was...gibson and epi should put it as an option for ur neck...anyone else ever do this? i'm gonna do it to every guitar i get....

ps...i also noticed that my guitars tone is just a tad bit brighter too
It doesnt offer much in the area of the protection of the neck. You'll notice your neck will probaly start to warp and get ugly looking after a few hours of playing, or a few gigs. You can easily have protection on the neck, and still have a fast playing neck by rubbing down the neck with #0000 steel wool.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
i know classical and flamenco guitars often have less buffed necks for better playability in position work
good job, i have a epi lp junior that i sanded the neck down on and now it plays way better, but i only scuffed the paints surface with a 400 grit wet sandpaper, maby you should try that because the reason that paint is so slow is the smoothness so if you got ahead of yourself and sanded the paint off and re-sanded the wood with a fine grit it wont play much better than a painted neck.
~jacob
idk what grit i used, i just got bored one night and sanded...i have a very experienced guitar building friend and he says i did an amazing job so idk...i'm happy with the amount of speed i can play with now
Quote by AlGeeEater
It doesnt offer much in the area of the protection of the neck. You'll notice your neck will probaly start to warp and get ugly looking after a few hours of playing, or a few gigs. You can easily have protection on the neck, and still have a fast playing neck by rubbing down the neck with #0000 steel wool.

Chris

+1 i did this to my squier (i wouldn't dare touch my three day old adopted brother the DV8-R )
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build