I want to know, in the Woodstock version of Purple Haze, Hendrix makes a very aggressive crunchy sound.
Listen to the video... (The 3 first seconds)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZTL5_QmB9Y

Now I want to know how he does that, can I do that too? With what? I see him using the Wah, maybe he does that with it... But on every Wah I tried, I couldn't find a sound like that.

So... eh... Help!
Quote by Justice_Fish
I want to know, in the Woodstock version of Purple Haze, Hendrix makes a very aggressive crunchy sound.
Listen to the video... (The 3 first seconds)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZTL5_QmB9Y

Now I want to know how he does that, can I do that too? With what? I see him using the Wah, maybe he does that with it... But on every Wah I tried, I couldn't find a sound like that.

So... eh... Help!
Bear in mind that Woodstock took place in 1969. The effects devices available to Jimi were primitive by today's standards, to say the least. In the video it's easy to identify a CryBaby wah - all of us Jimi and Eric wannabes had one. Is the CryBaby pedal even around anymore? I don't know what kind of distortion/fuzz pedal Jimi was using, but whatever it was, remember that he was pumping all of this through probably six or more 100-watt Marshall or Hiwatt stacks. The point of all this is, you're probably not going to get whatever rig you're using to sound just like Jimi at Woodstock.

But so what? Run what ya brung and play your heart out - nobody will care that you don't sound exactly like Jimi Hendrix during the 1969 "Summer of Love".
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
Bear in mind that Woodstock took place in 1969. The effects devices available to Jimi were primitive by today's standards, to say the least. In the video it's easy to identify a CryBaby wah - all of us Jimi and Eric wannabes had one. Is the CryBaby pedal even around anymore? I don't know what kind of distortion/fuzz pedal Jimi was using, but whatever it was, remember that he was pumping all of this through probably six or more 100-watt Marshall or Hiwatt stacks. The point of all this is, you're probably not going to get whatever rig you're using to sound just like Jimi at Woodstock.

But so what? Run what ya brung and play your heart out - nobody will care that you don't sound exactly like Jimi Hendrix during the 1969 "Summer of Love".

he wants to know if it can be done. dont put him off and say it cant be!! Im sure there is some effect pedal or something than can imitate what he doing. I play acoustic so I cant really help you but dont let someone tell you it cant be done!!
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
There's a bit of difference between sounding la bit ike him, and trying to replicate his tone with as much efficiency as possible. Sure, one can sound a bit like him with a modern pedal, but chances are it won't be even close, especially for the sensitive ear.. Gpb0216 clearly stated that Hendrix used numerous cranked high-end amps, another not so common these days, since the chances to use rigs like that, are basically limited to stadiums and huge festivals, which I'm pretty sure that's not what anyone here is playing

Other than that.. Try the Jimi Hendrix signature pedal(s?) and see if you like it.. It might not be the exact tone, but w/e.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
It's not entirely a matter of effects. Look at how he strikes the strings in the first three seconds compared to the riff that follows. He's raking and with the natural compression that comes from his rig, striking the strings hard like that combined with a few muted notes above and below it give it a crunchier, agressive sound. Look up some lessons on raking and you should at least be able to get a start on getting the sound you want. He's using the bridge pickup I believe as well, at least it sounds like it.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by radiantmoon
he wants to know if it can be done. dont put him off and say it cant be!! Im sure there is some effect pedal or something than can imitate what he doing. I play acoustic so I cant really help you but dont let someone tell you it cant be done!!
If you'll re-read my post...
Quote by gpb0216
you're probably not going to get whatever rig you're using to sound just like Jimi at Woodstock.
...you'll notice my use of the word "probably".

Given enough time, money and effort I'm sure our friend Justice_Fish can exactly duplicate the sound Jimi Hendrix created at the 1969 Woodstock festival. I wish him the very best in his quest.
Quote by Freepower
We're in luck, fellow guitarists - Dunlop still manufactures the original Cry Baby Wah-Wah. The company also manufactures what it calls the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Wah. It's the Summer of Love all over again!
Quote by Freepower
Quote by radiantmoon
The answer given by gpb0216 was far more informative and helpful than you imply and not designed to put Justice_Fish off; to get the exact sound you will need the exact setup or close to it, I very much doubt if anyone who was there could remeber precisely just what gear he was using also the recording equipment would have an influence on the final sound as well.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
And by the way, it's not the sound I wanna replicate. It's the 4 first notes, the wya they sound, like, aggresive crunchy notes!!
Quote by Justice_Fish
I'm actually saving up money for the GCB-95 Dunlop Wah pedal...

Don't.

Hendrix used a Vox wah, save for one of those.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, Hendrix used a Vox wah. He also used a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, and these aren't around anymore because the company crashed. Dunlop makes a reissue, but it sounds aweful.

I built myself a nice fuzz face and it gives me that purple haze sound very easily. Sounds fantastic.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
From what I have read it seems that he used modded effects which you cant get or really recreate unless you have built great effects from scratch
Quote by gpb0216
If you'll re-read my post......you'll notice my use of the word "probably".

Given enough time, money and effort I'm sure our friend Justice_Fish can exactly duplicate the sound Jimi Hendrix created at the 1969 Woodstock festival. I wish him the very best in his quest.

i apoligise. i completely misread what you were saying
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
i apoligise. i completely misread what you were saying
No harm, no foul. I had forgotten all about this thread. I wonder if Justice_Fish would mind giving us an update on his quest for the "aggresive crunchy" sound of those "first four notes".
Quote by Freepower
69 wasn't the summer of love. 67 was. What is hte digitech hendrix tone pedal light anyway? And should I get a crybaby, or Vox wah? And just a good quality fuzz face i guess.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"