So I play a Rickenbacker 650D, and i love it to death. It is the most versitile instrument i have ever played. The neck is nice and fast, it has endless sustain, and the handrubbed oil finish is easy to fix and lets the sound out so much better than burying the wood under all that paint.
I was just wondering if any one else plays a Ric and what they think of it.
I was actually thinking about getting that guitar a while back but now I think im just getting a used MIA strat thats at my local store till I can save up enough for a PRS custom 24 ten top but maybe i'll still consieder this, is the 650D the one with chrome or gold hardware? and what would you say its better at, cleans or dist? and can you explain the wide thin, fat neck neck or whatever its called please, thanks
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Aug 6, 2006,
the 650D has chrome hardware. It's equaly adept at at clean tone and distortion, i feel. the pickups are humbuckers that have a more single coil tone, they sound great. unless you play mostly metal or something like that, in which case you may want to replace the bridge pick up. it has endless sustain though, and i can play anything on it. classic rock, blues, metal, shred, it does it all. from the bands you put in your profile id say it should work great for you. the neck is pretty sweet, for one thing, you cant't argue with neck-thru, its just the best there is. as for the shape, its wide across the fretboard, but thin in the other direction, if that makes sense.
ok cool, now I just have to find a place that carries RICS in canada, yep, it looks like i'll be getting this instead of the strat and if I understand what your saying the neck is tall from the high e to low e but thin from the fretboard to the back? and yea in my band we play alotta stuff but my drummer and bassist arent really into metal so it looks like this guitars got what I need
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Rickenbackers aren't seen that much anymore on stages, but they're still great guitars

One word :

Fireglow

EDIT: look at the fret access on that 650D, I don't think there is ANY other guitar that has that kind of fret access (not even my SG )
Last edited by JorisBlack at Aug 7, 2006,
^
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Yea, man. the fret access is killer. my old guitar is a epiphone G-400, it totallly blows compared to the ric, in every way possible.
hooray for rickenbackers!
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I think they look cool
Quote by King ofKumbucha
x2 Love Rics. The neck is a little narrow, which takes a little getting used to, but I love the tone.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ugly things. I've never played one so I can't really just them by anything but their looks.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^hey eclectia I cant find anywhere that mention the size of the frets on the 650, are they jumbo?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
^dont know about that copy but my friends gotta dillon tele copy and its ok for a starter guitar but I wouldnt think of it as anything else, but that one could be a higher end one or something
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I'm a huge fan of the Rickenbacker 12-string, the name escapes me, my friend owns one and I love it.
I'm not sure about the fret size, but they are pretty big, they are wider than they are tall.
oh ok, thats good, thanks for the help
Quote by King ofKumbucha
kinda uneasy about their shape though... the freboard provides access to all the frets... cool!
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

tried one once, don't know the model but the one lasting impression was the narrowness of the neck, ie from low e to high e. still, a cool looking guitar.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
wow those dillions look really good as in looks I wonder how they play. Man that guy who makes them is going to get sued off his AS.S
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300