Hey
Im self-taught, and while Im no stranger to guitar, in terms of guitar theory, im really in the dark. I do, however, have an extensive backround in other musical instruments other than guitar, so music theory itself I know somewhat about, but sadly, with guitar, Im a bit ignorant. Id also say that im pretty decent and a huge fan of John Frusciante.

So finally, heres the question: What are some of the techniques John uses (and if
possible, a brief explaination of them so I can learn em)
Hmmm, I hope you get some help with all this, as I'm now quite curious.
do you mean like with his solos are just his riffs. cause hes pretty basic. solos he just uses regular legato(hammer-ons,pull-offs, and slides). With riffs I really dont know what to say, if you could be more specific with what you wanna know that'd be good.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Some of his most valuable techniques:

"percussion": Much of his work involves muting and raking, understanding how to use these in a funk evironment will move you along.
ex. If you have to ask, subway to venus

Intervals: Frusc often uses intervals, or sets of two note chords, to make simplicity become more lively.

Riffs: Many great chili peppers songs stem off a strong riff.
ex. Mellowship Slinky, Californication

much of his greatness is just knowing how to complement his bandmates, especially listening to the craziness of flea on mother's milk.
Yeah definitely. I do know that he uses alot of vibrato and as you said, legato. But I wanna know the techniques because I can never seem to play similarly (not speed or scale related), but I just never get the right 'sound' of his solos, which I absolutely love. So really, Im hoping someone will name some sweet technique that Im missing, although it probably just requires practice.
yea he also rakes the strings alot like the other guy said like in cant stop in the main riff and in the solo he hits the strings hard and he bends really roughly and quickly, not sure if you get what I mean but just try some stuff out you should be able to figure somethings out.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Just practice a lot. And listen to bands that he listened to, the influence will start to show through. I know he listened to Hendrix and Funkadelic. Theres obviously more but those are the only two I know off the top of my head.
^^He's a huge fan of Zappa, Hendrix, Steve Vai and Funkadelic.

I know that almost all his solos on Stadium Arcadium were improvised, so getting the exact sounds he gets on that album would be damn near impossible...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
^Great link. THat should help a ton. I've seen it before, it's a real good video.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by HeartInACage
Yeah definitely. I do know that he uses alot of vibrato and as you said, legato. But I wanna know the techniques because I can never seem to play similarly (not speed or scale related), but I just never get the right 'sound' of his solos, which I absolutely love. So really, Im hoping someone will name some sweet technique that Im missing, although it probably just requires practice.

He doesn't tend to pick individual strings - a lot of the time, he strums but mutes all the strings except the one he's fretting.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
one of the most important things riff wise is to rake the strings. he also uses his thumb a lot.
I think tim_hendrix got the main one- most of the time when he's riffing, he's hitting all of hte strings at once (really hard!), and muting the ones he doesn't want to sound, which makes a really percusive sound. Most of his key techniques are very much Hendrix-inspired, so learn some of his stuff to find out where a lot of Froo's playing came from
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
It'll be extremely hard to replicate any of his solos because he is all emotion when he plays.. alot of them, as others said, are improvised and you can see it in his face hes really feeling every single note he plays. Good luck with that.
yes hes a huge hendrix fan, u can find lots of hendrix stuff in his solos....he uses a lot of weird chords,, like the under thebridge intro and stuff....