Hey, i really need some help here. I'm trying to figure out how to layer my guitar tracks. You know, so i have some rhythm and lead + bass etc...but all played by me. I obviously can't play all the instruments at once through a mixer. I'm using Sonar 5, and when ever i try to record, say, a lead melody while monitoring the rhythm track i always end up duplicating the first track on the second. Understand? Basically, if anything is playing on my computer (i.e. the previously recorded rhythm track) it gets picked up by the currently armed and recording track. How can i fix this? Is it possible? I'd like to avoid any large purchases, but i suppose some hardware recomendations wouldn't hurt.
thanks in advance
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
thats kinda of a lame solution, no offense. It would be pain to try to match up the tracks, especially if the tempo changes. Plus the sound of the met would end up being recorded as well.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Try using Audacity. I multi-track all the time.
Its only when your life has truly gone to hell, that you know your really living.
just mute it and it wont be picked up by your speakers, problems solved kinda. my main problem is that i cant play the same tempo twice, so like total said:
Quote by totaldeath
Use a program that has a metronome, like goldwave or something.
a metronome is needed. audacity is what i use, it just has kinda crappy recording quality.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
the guy has sonar, which is like 100 times better than audacity. are you monitoring with speakers? if thats the cfase then thats part of ehy its picking up, when ou record you need to monitor with headphones. Sonar normally isnt configured to send one audio track to another while recording. other than that im not really sure what to tell you because ive never had that problem.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
someone who knows sonar! Nope, i'm using headphones. But that wouldnt be a problem anyway cause i'm using the head/lineout on my amp instead of a amp/mic setup
What do you do to record?
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
record the rhythm on track 1. then unarm it by clicking the record symbol and arm track 2. now when you press record it will go on track 2 while leaving track 1 alone. if for some reason you cant hear track 1 while overdubbing track 2, check your output devides etc. to make sure you are monitoring it. you should use sonar's built in metronome to record to, so its easier to match up all your tracks. you can mute/unmute it somewhere in the upper right toolbar.
descendent: i've been doing what you said, and i still get the duplicate on track 2. is muting track one while recording 2 my only option? That can't seriously be the only solution.
Viruk: i already said i'm using headphones. The problem is that while recording, everything being played back is being picked up.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
And how exactly would that fix anything? It makes no difference at all. Input is input, no matter where it comes from.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
make sure its set up that track one isnt sending to track two. Really im not sure whats causing that, because i have to go through a bit of trouble to make sonar do than on purpose.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i dont know sonar, but i would think its just something you clicked on accident one time and now cant find it. it shouldnt do that as a default because it wouldnt make sense. do make sure you are recording the input and not something like stereo mix, because i know that would do it.

also, can you have 2 copies of sonar open at once? if you can, you could use one for playback and one for recording. then export the audio from the recording into a track on the other one. doing this will at least tell you if its recording the playback or just dumping the track 1 into track 2. obviously not the best way to do it, but if it comes down to it its better than nothing.