Anyone listen to it; play it? I was just wondering what are some good reggae songs to get under my fingers.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Every Bassist should know Stir It Up by Bob Marley.

Also try:

54-46 that's my number - Toots and the Maytals
Take Warning - Operation Ivy
Wasted Days - The Slackers
No More Cryin' - The Slackers
Ebin - Sublime
i like reggae, its a fun thing to play. probably the simplest regae song to learn would be phish's makisupa policeman.

G---------------------2-----5
D--------------0h3------
A-------2--5---------------
E---3------------------------

ive heard that line pop up in marley and matisyahu too, so its a good one to learn.

also, police and thieves by junior murvin is a great line. i cant find a tab for you though, sorry.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Anything Bob Marley man.
"I shot the sheriff" and "is this love" are both good basslines.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by crazypeanutman
i like reggae, its a fun thing to play. probably the simplest regae song to learn would be phish's makisupa policeman.

D--------------0h3------

ive heard that line pop up in marley and matisyahu too, so its a good one to learn.

thats because that line is probably 2nd most common chord progression in music.

I'd buy some Bob Marley & the Wailers, some Police, some Sublime, some Peter Tosh, and learn everything that stood out to me.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by crazypeanutman

D--------------0h3------

also, police and thieves by junior murvin is a great line. i cant find a tab for you though, sorry.

The Clash did a cover of police and theives and theres a bass tab for the clash version, but I'm not sure if its exactly the same as the original version.
Quote by UtBDan
thats because that line is probably 2nd most common chord progression in music.

I'd buy some Bob Marley & the Wailers, some Police, some Sublime, some Peter Tosh, and learn everything that stood out to me.

hey now, just saying an easy one to use

who's the bassist for peter tosh's band? does he use family man barrett as well?

and just curious, if root 3rd 5th is the second most used, whats the first? root 5th octive?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Last edited by crazypeanutman at Aug 29, 2006,
try:
the specials - nite klub, a message to you rudy, too much too young, little bitch (good practice with octaves)
the clash - rudie can't fail, the guns of brixton, revolution rock, (white man) in hammersmith-palais

just off the top of my head. these are the first songs that i remember learning. i have the most fun playing reggae or ska bass. definitely check out everything the others mentioned.
Quote by CoKane311
try:
the specials - nite klub, a message to you rudy, too much too young, little bitch (good practice with octaves)
the clash - rudie can't fail, the guns of brixton, revolution rock, (white man) in hammersmith-palais

just off the top of my head. these are the first songs that i remember learning. i have the most fun playing reggae or ska bass. definitely check out everything the others mentioned.

ghost town is a good specials song too.
Quote by Mr. T
State Radio has some fantastic reggae work, albiet not very bass heavy.

Try:

First One Shot
People to People
The State and I
Gunship Politico

to think of a few.

And the Clash is just superb for any occasion.

and its ska, but FISHBONE! FISHBONE! FISHBONE!

greatest ska basslines ever.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by crazypeanutman
hey now, just saying an easy one to use

who's the bassist for peter tosh's band? does he use family man barrett as well?

and just curious, if root 3rd 5th is the second most used, whats the first? root 5th octive?

I didnt say bassline, I said chord progression. You did I IV, and stuck to the components of the chord.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I love reggae and learn a few songs, bob marley of course. But my favourite reggae artist is Matisyahu, he has great songs with cool , but simple bass lines. So I recommend "king without a crown[live version]" powertab off this site
Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
you should learn how to construct chords if you don't know how to already.

just to get you started, here's how to make a major and minor triad:

[b]G Major[/b]
G|-----------
D|------------
A|-------2--5
E|----3------

[b]G Minor[/b]
G|-----------
D|-----------
A|-----------5
E|----3--6---
(i prefer this one^)
      or

G|-------------
D|-------------
A|-------1---5
E|----3--------
Some good Bob Marley tunes to learn are:

Lively Up Yourself
Fussin' and Fighting
Could You Be Loved
Concrete Jungle
Duppy Conqueror

Basically any Bob will give you a good bassline. But try not to listen the White Mans Bob Album, Legends. Try and get the old versions as the bass is better.

Dont limit yourself to Bob Marley. Shaggy sold more albums that Bob Marley. Listen to some other gret reggae artists such as Jimmy Cliff, Third World, Peter Tosh, Rita Marley, Shinehead, Black Uhuru, Burning Spear, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Dekker......

Yeah, i like reggae
Last edited by Applehead at Aug 30, 2006,
Quote by HorridxHopes
Play some hip hop as well (finding tabs is hard though)

Matisyahu is a great choice.

remove "banned" from your user title, or you will be... warned. Since this would be your second warning, you would be... banned.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
remove "banned" from your user title, or you will be... warned. Since this would be your second warning, you would be... banned.

Haha, I just added that... but, I will.

I always thought there were three warnings.. like baseball. "Three strikes and you're out." But, whatever.
nah son. Two warnings = a ban. It states it in most FAQS and the general rules of UG. And there are some offenses that are 0 warning.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Plus, the site is based in Russia, where Baseball is not the favorite past time.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Plus, the site is based in Russia, where Baseball is not the favorite past time.

is it anywhere really?
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by UtBDan
nah son. Two warnings = a ban. It states it in most FAQS and the general rules of UG. And there are some offenses that are 0 warning.

Well, thanks Dan.