OK, I've had my first amp for a while now (4 years), and it's time to step it up a notch. So upon looking for amps, I had originally set my sights on this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269

Then, one day, out of sheer boredom, I came across this full stack for $600. I was amazed to see a full stack for this much, and now, I'm not sure which to get. Here's the link to the full stack:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412-FullStack-Package?sku=487798

My style of music is metal, and I'm getting my first band together. I've been playing for 5 years. I'm starting to get into lead guitar. So hopefully those details have helped you out a little.

P.S. I know this probably won't affect the decision, but I'm also getting Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah pedal.
Id just go with the half stack, since you will probroly just be playing in gigs. And it would save you $100
those are ****ty solid state amps. Thats why they are cheap. Just beacuse its a stack, doesnt mean its good. just read one of the reviews for the crate.

May 17, 2006 - Well, to start off. If you play in a heavy metal band like I do. You will not be able to hear yourself at all over the drummer.

Second, the distortion is not that great, it sounds like mud no matter what the hell you do. Even if you play it at low level. If you crank the gain channel, it'll square wave and loose the distortion and tone and it'll sound like crap.

The clean channel, is magnifecent, it sounds crystal clear. And it is easy to get the sound you want out of the clean channel.

Fourth, the reverb is nice, it's pretty good, but not to good, just, decent.

Last, if you only want the full stack just to jam in your room, with pedals for good distortion (You have to have good pedals to get a good distortion) Then I would say get this amp, it's worth $700 just to practice in your room, but if you want a stack for band practice, I would recommend the Peavey Valve King 100 watt all tube amp head. But for this amp, remember, you get what you pay for, so make sure you play it first and decide if you like it.

Like I said DO NOT buy this for a band, if you think just because it's a stack it'll get loud, don't mean that it'll be loud, it just means it's big, and bulky. My Fender combo amp can get as loud as this amp.

He's in a metal band. Like you want to be. Dont get that one. Get a Mesa Boogie. OR a tube amp and get a good pedal that you like to over drive it more to metal standards. Solid state amps are this: 1) Sh!t 2) Sh!tty 3) always will be Sh!t.

Look at the Valve king like he says. His review is TOTALLY correct on ALL solid state stacks.
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
^you have no idea what you are talking about, a full stack is loud because of how much air it moves, if you cant hear youself over a drummer with a 100 watt full stack then you are F***ing deaf, a hundred watts is a hundred watts the crate has really nice cleans so use the clean channel and get a tubescreamer (ts-9). plus a tube amp costs more especially when you add in the tube replacements and servicing so unless you do tons of gigs stick with solid state or hybrid and save your cash for guitar lessons.
~jacob t
This belongs in GG&A.

Between the Crate and Randall, I would get the Randall.

Suggestions of Better Amps:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-ST6012-60W-Tube-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Vintage-30s?sku=481308

Quote by guy above me

the crate has really nice cleans so use the clean channel and get a tubescreamer (ts-9).

Ahem.
1) Crate Amps do not have really nice cleans. Fender amps have really nice cleans.
2) Overdrive stompboxes do **** for solid state amps. There's no reason to use one on SS.
3) A hundred watts is not necessarily one hundred watts in general respects. Tube Amps are seemingly louder than SS, wherein 100w Tube>100w SS
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Aug 7, 2006,
Nah dude. Even Hybrid is better than solid state. That wasnt me reviewing it. it was a guy who actually Bought it and played with it. I'll show you a few more reviews which said the same thing about the crate.

Jan 24, 2006 - This amp is great for just sitting around and playing, but if you think that it will be loud enough to really throw down, then you need to look elsewhere, I had this amp, had it for not even two months, and it started giving me strange noises, weird static/feedback type stuff that I'd never heard an amp do before. It is definitley a decent amp, but not as great as it's beefed up to be.

Dec 2, 2005 - This is by far the worst piece of equipment that I have ever used in my life. I own tambourines that are more useful then this amp. I play in a heavy metal band and there was no where near enough power coming out of it. I should have just played out of an acoustic guitar without it being mic'd. The solo channel has a great sound but for a full stack it's so quiet. I used a maximizer, a Jackson Kelly, and a Boss GT-6

any way. Solid state amps suck. And you know.. Replacing tubes in an amp only happens once every year. and thats the only time you need it serviced.. and thats if you switch what type of tubes you buy. tube amps are better all because of the following...

1) louder than solid state, with half the wattage
2) WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Better tone
3) You can break them up in a good way and it sounds good
4) You can have a small combo, and get a lot of volume
5) you can have a large stack and get twice or three times the volume
6) Anything is better than solid state
7) You can mix distortion and overdrive, and it doesnt sound like mud and feedback
8) They sound nice quiet and loud
9) Its not bad to have them turned all the way up
10) They have a TON more versatility.

I think that should sum up why solid state amps suck. Once you go tube, you dont go back.

Oh and guess what amps teh guy above me suggested... Hmmmm Tube amps any one?
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Last edited by AcDc_1337 at Aug 7, 2006,
Most properly checked tube amps should only need replacing under owner's discretion for tone or 3-4years.

Just some food for thought...and to Ac_Dc_1337
well actually a tube amp is just as loud as a ss amp of the same wattage, tube amps do have a preceved loudness to them because of well basicly how they amplify audio, the signal just seems warmer, but solid state has come a long long way from "squarewave distortion" they also technically have better tone than a tube amp ever will because they maintain the integrity of the waveform much better so what goes in comes out the same exept louder where tube amps color the sound quite a bit because of how they work, remember tubes amplify voltage while ss amplifys current so if you need super clean stuff go with solid state because thats where they are good, but for distortion go with tubes because the clip alot softer than transistors, its a trade off between the 2 distortion and overdriven cleans that arent really clean or super clean but a much harder clipping distortion.
and a bias should be done with every set of tubes unless the previous bias was done with a mached set of tubes and you replace them with the same mached set (ie groovetubes 1 with groovetubes 1... ect).

edit: now that i look at it, this forum is prettymuch all completely against the use of transistors in guitar audio applications
Last edited by sempri_fi at Aug 7, 2006,
yeah it is. But how many people here play all clean.. And tube amp clean is still pretty good. As for waveform, solid state wins. but Hands down ear to ear... Tubes. you know the clean on teh beginning of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.. Tube amp. Mesa boogie dual recto. Thats the clean i like. if its TOO perfect.. it sounds bland. But you're right.

But again.. he's in a metal band. Why the hell would he have a nice clean cahnnel amp.. Let the god's of distortion graze upon you tube distortion. nothings better..
hell if i could over drive an amp so much that the tubes are about to blow, i'd love that. It'd be soooo raw and powerfull..
Guitars
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Go with the CRATE.....I have the half stack.It has a very good clean channel.
I do use a multi-effects pedal or individual pedals depending on what sound
I want.......As for being heard over a drummer,I'm heard well over my drummer
(and he is a hard hittin drummer) and I usually have my CRATE set no higher
than 4 1/2.............. Hope this helps ya...
Quote by AcDc_1337
you know the clean on teh beginning of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.. Tube amp. Mesa boogie dual recto.

Not trying to argue with you, but I'm damn sure the only Mesa products Kurt used were Pre and Power amps. Although, you could probably get the Dual Recto sound from other Mesa stuff.

A better example, I believe, would be Foo Fighters stuff. Vox AC30s and Mesa Duals...occasionally the Lonestar methinks.