So here I am again, looking for advice on effects, switching, and midi.

I've got my two amps for now, a Peavey 5150 and my ENGL Powerball. I've got a cab for each of them already. What I want..

Two OD pedals (boost, and one as a bit of fuzz/od)

Rackmount::

Switchable 31 band EQ (2 or more channels, digital maybe?)
Compressor
Noise Gate/Supressor
Tuner
Switching units for my Powerball and 5150...

Effects unit---
-Reverb
-Delay
Possibly-
-Pitch modulation (flanger, chorus,phaser)
-Harmonizer/Whammy

Midi Floorboard to switch all my ****.

I'm just looking to find all my possible options for each piece of equipment. Open for any suggestions but I'd like to stay away from berhinger and all alesis except the EQs pretty much.
I don't know much on rackmount effects so I'll just list some stuff in terms of stomp boxes which you might like.

Keeley makes a really really nice compressor, I'd highly recommend it
He makes really good tubescreamers and boost pedals as well.
I think he's also got an amp switcher in there somewhere but I may be wrong.
(I know they're not rackmount effects, but just in case you'd be interested)
www.robertkeeley.com

I hear good things about the electro-harmonix Holier Grail Reverb, so if you run across 1 in a store give it a try.
Line 6 has their famous DL-4 which isn't too bad, but you might wanna look into some Analog delay pedals.
Finally covering Phaser (Also delay for the Moog) MoogerFooger... I think they sound amazing, on the other hand they're pretty pricey. I'm not sure whether I'd dish out the cash for them, but try em.
MXR has their famous Phase-90 if you wanna give that a run. (Pretty good for the cash)
I hear good things about Pigtronix, although I've never got to try 1. (Apparantly it's an amazing Phaser)

You've always got the option to look at boss pedals, other then being really durable, their not the "best" pedals soundwise, although the NS-2 is a really nice noise supressor, and the TU-2 is a nice tuner pedal.

Thats my thoughts on stompboxes, sadly I know jack about rackmounts so I can't be of much help.
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
everythign besides the booster pedals will be rackmount...

I was thinking about keeley for both boosters, however.

I previously owned a holier grail reverb, loved it.

owned a DL-4, loved it. Just couldn't afford to keep it and didn't have the space!

I have basically the nicest modulation pedal you can buy- a TC electronics stereo chorus/flanger, which is chorus, flanger and phase w/ controllable gain boost on the input... I don't think I'll be looking for modulation pedals..

Most of the extra effects I want would be in a rack multi effects..
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Aug 7, 2006,
Also, take a look at the Jekyll and Hyde. If money's an issue it might server your booster/fuzz needs a bit better.
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
I dont know what your budget is like if you are trying to go totally petrucci style in money and singnal chain read on: if you want a totaly kickass effects unit get the g-force by tce. If you are on a smaller budget get the g-major. Both accomplish all of the thing you are looking for and more. As far as tuners go for a rackmountable korg. They're really accurate. For switching units, look at cae. You've probably already heard of them. Industry standard. Solid State Logic make studio compressors and stuff. Avalon also. I would recomend having the 31 band after you mic. I've also heard lots of success from having a bbe maximizer after you mic as opposed to in the loop so look into that. The g-force/major have a good gate function. try doing thing like putting studio eqs after you mic as opposed to whatever the house has and other stuff like that.
Quote by llanafreak44
wont your tube amps compress naturaly at high volumes?

Compression for band practice and home practice as well as for home recording use. I want a compressor to help out on the legato and **** because I use fairly thick strings in standard tuning and for the style of music I play I'm thinking a compressor would be very helpful until I can turn up amp up to 1/2.

Switching units:

I'm definitely not going into a custom switching route. There has to be another way than paying $1200 and waiting months for it. I'd rather build one myself.

The EQ is half way for my amp tone, anyway. I'm fairly certain I don't want to go with a bbe maximizer.
OK i have researched alot into rack gear as i am looking to upgrade soon.

OD - I like the Mazon OD-9 as a od its just awesome and true bypass and for a fuzz im not to good at as i dont really use one but i have heard good things Of Zvex also Frantone and the likes

EQ - I think DBX makes a Two channel 31band EQ but im not for certain as the one i want to get it the Alesis Dual CHannel 15 band.

Compressor - I am stuck between two compressors the Alesis 3630 which i have heard is really good and the DBX 266xl both of whcih are supposed to be amazing so look into them.

Noise Supressor - I am a fan of the Rocktron Hush Super C it is amazing but also take note i have not tried the ISP Rack though the pedal is awesome may want to look into it or the MXR Smart Gate Rack. But the HUsh is awesome.

Tuner - Korg DTR 2000 or 1000 both are supposed to be really good i havent used the 2000 but the 1000 is very good the 2000 is an upgrade with extra buttons not sure what they are because i cant find one.

Switcher - The GCX switcher is awesome anything that is midi controlled can be plugged into this through a single midi cable also anything that is not midi compatible such as pedals can be as well as there are numerous FX loops in the back of this thing though i have not tried i have also heard you can run a patch cable from your footswitch input on your amp to the switcher and switch your channels as well though i am not 100%.

Effects - Good and cheap i suggest the TC G-Major its very good FX processor at a low cost. But then if you have no budget i suggest a TC-G-Force also Eventide is amazing by far the Eventide Eclipse is superior to any FX unit you can name but it is also 2000 USD.

Midi FLoorboard - The DMC is awesome and is the pedalboard that Voodoo Labs sells along with the GCX each are 400 USD i believe and it just hooks up to the GCX with a MIdi cable and program it and your set.

Also Genocide the Od Pedals as well as the boost you want to get can be rackmounted on a pedal shelf and hooked up to the GCX and controlled in the same manor so you dont have to have extra **** on the floor just the pedal board only.

Also Rock Hard Cases sells a excellent rack case with a space for two amp heads on the bottom with numerous rack space above it so you got a rack for your set up and they are awesome cases you can throw them around and beat them to hell and they still stay strong.

http://www.rockhardcases.com/new.htm

Hope i could help you out man and if you cant find anything and needs links let me know as i have a link to everything i mentioned. but dont just be lazy and ask me research yourself and if you cant find somethign i have a link to everything i mentioned ya im rambling now so im gonna shut up.

Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Last edited by Syn Harvest at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
The EQ is half way for my amp tone, anyway. I'm fairly certain I don't want to go with a bbe maximizer.

Good call... They're ****.

ODs: What tones do you want and what do you want them to achieve?

EQ: Check around ebay, you can get some gems for decent prices. There really isn't much to differentiate between EQ units as long as you get a good quality unit that won't fall apart and isn't noisy it's all good. I know DBX make a wonderful unit but you could probably get a cheaper one on ebay.

Compressor: DBX without a shadow of a doubt, they're the only compressors that sound natural to me.. All the others sound pretty cheesy. You can get away with the cheapest model that has the features you want (limiter? gate? etc.) too as they're not designed for guitars so have a spec well beyond what you'd need.

Noise gate: This should be your absolute last consideration... You may not need one. Buy everything else you need first THEN see if it's required. Noise gates absolutely ruin your tone, even the high end ones, so don't just add one thinking "i may need it." The rocktron hush racks can be bought pretty cheaply s/h if you HAVE to get one.

Tuner: Peterson strobe everytime for me, they'll allow you to get absolutely dead on intonation and aren't too fiddly. Then you don't need to buy a second tuner to do your set ups and whatnot.

Switcher: CAE, Skrystrup and Rocktron make awesome switchers but at a price (the first two are custom order I think.) I like the all access by rocktron though, there's a good few switches there and is well made. It costs a fair bit, although cheaper than going down the custom road... As long as you don't want expression pedals of course.

Reverb: Lexicon make some wonderful units high up in their range but these cost an arm and a leg. They allow you to adjust just about every parameter of the verb though so you can get some reverberated pitch shifting effects going on; making it sound like you're underwater or in a haunted house. TC electronic have some lovely units too but they generally aren't listed for guitar.

Delay: I've never really tried that many delay units in rack form (dedicated delay units I mean, not multi-fx things) but TC electronic made a real nice one but I think it's long out of production. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it so I'm next to no help.

For an "allround" FX rack for a decent price I like the rocktron intellifex, again they've stopped production on these but they're still availible. TC electronic make some nice stuff too.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
i know nothing about rackmount. I'm just here to advise about the boosters, and if i post now, it automatically adds this to my subscriptions!

anyway, as lewis says, what tones are you after out of the boosters? there's clean boosts (awesome tone in my opinion, but not terribly versatile), od's, fuzz, distortion (you probably don't want that), treble boost, etc.

Oh, and what's your budget for the boosters?

EDIT: oh, I do know a little about the switchers, though. The skrydstrup is custom made, as far as I know. Here in the UK, it's a similar (if not cheaper) price to the rocktron all access, though in the USA, the rocktron is liable to be quite a bit cheaper, I'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah before I went through this I was basically set on an alesis 2 ch 31 band EQ and a DBX compressor.. I think I'm gonna end up going with those.

TC still make a reverb/delay/etc unit I think its up on their website somewhere.

As far as boosting units I want one as an OD and one as a clean boost, the OD is just to dirty things up a bit. Price range? I was looking to find some kind of booster or pedal and mod it, probably another OD808.
^ the HBE uno mos is a pretty good clean boost pedal. For some reason, it's described on the website as a pre-amp (i think- at least the dos mos is, the dual channel version), which I can't understand. here's the link: http://homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

you probably want to look into some other clean boosts too, just in case you can get one as good for less cash.

as for the od: the maxon od808's pretty nice- nicer than the od9, in my opinion. Out of the several OD's i tried, it was in the "i liked it" category. the t-rex alberta is nice too, the EQ has a slightly wider sweep (i.e. it can get you more than the od808's "smooth mid boost" kind of tone, though it can pretty much get that too). I think it's a similar price.

the black box x-ray was nice too, don't know if you can source them where you are or not. The HBE power screamer is nice too (same link as the uno mos) but has loads of options and stuff- maybe more than you need, and no real point in paying for something you won't use. And after trying one with the fat boost, I wouldn't buy one without it (that's another $20, unfortunately). And the klon centaur is just excellent, but it's about £300 here (maybe $300 in the states). Contrary to what lewis will tell you, I quite liked the voodoo sparkle drive, but he'll tell you it was harsh, probably. It WAS treblier/brighter, that's for sure.

There are loads more OD's I haven't tried, but those are the pick of the ones I have (didn't get to try all of them head to head, unfortunately).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you're willing to drop a good amount of money, t.c. electronics has a really good multi-effects thing...the g-system. $1200 on musician's friend, but vai uses it, so it must be good...

http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-System
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
TC still make a reverb/delay/etc unit I think its up on their website somewhere.

As far as boosting units I want one as an OD and one as a clean boost, the OD is just to dirty things up a bit. Price range? I was looking to find some kind of booster or pedal and mod it, probably another OD808.

The TC electronic thing I tried was a dedicated delay thingie, it didn't do reverbs (but you could hook up the delays to sound like a verb.)

For a booster: the xotic RC booster or the Pedalworx McBoost are by far my favourites. The former being more flexible with its 2 band tonestack and gain control the latter being a really simple unit with just a volume knob.

For the OD you still haven't really said what you want, what sort of textures and things are you after? How much gain on tap? etc.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
as far as the OD goes I'm mainly looking for something to throw a bit of dirt on top of my clean and crunch channel, mainly like a fuzz but not as extreme, I was thinking, once again, like my OD808 but with alittle bit more girth.

The boosts are really the least of my concerns and are more like novelties than nessisary.

EDIT:

No, I wont be buying a $1200 multieffects, at the very most I'd look at the gmajor but I'm fairly certain that if it came down to the quality of effects I'd rather purchase a $300 rack reverb/delay unit than effects.

And I'd be going eventide if I were spending over 1,000
Ya anything over 1000 on effects and just buy an eventide. eclipse is awesome but expensive.

Ya the G-System is nice but then he would have two boards on the floor instead of one system controlled by one midi board. Unfortunatly GEN i havent looked into Delay Reverb racks i just looked into the all around effects so i cant help you more than i did on that.

For a OD if you like the 808 so much just buy one the Maxon is awesome and its true bypass so i dont know how much tinkering you would have to do to it. i like it as is but to each is own.

FOr a tuner i know petersons are good i just didnt know they made a rack tuner so i change my suggestion to what POWER suggested. as i like petersons
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
as far as the OD goes I'm mainly looking for something to throw a bit of dirt on top of my clean and crunch channel, mainly like a fuzz but not as extreme, I was thinking, once again, like my OD808 but with alittle bit more girth.

The boosts are really the least of my concerns and are more like novelties than nessisary.

well, from what i hear, the hbe power screamer gets a little fuzzy on one of its modes, though I didn't notice it when I tried it, lol, but then again, I'm not really a fuzz guy...

Lewis: anywhere handy that stocks those (i.e. near london)? what about the hermida zendrive? I thought it was meant to be good...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peterson strobes are expensive to say the least, and i've yet to see a slim profile rackmount tuner from them.
My favourite is korg, the dt-2k series i haven't tried, the dt-1k i bought, using it as my main tuner, until i got buzz feiten on a few of my favourite axes, at which point i started to use the dt-7 strictly for the bfts. It's a great tuner, the display is very much in favor with me, and i just like the overall look and feel of the tuner.

Another thing i would like to suggest, in terms of a booster, is the Time Machine Boost: it's got two functions, a vintage and modern boost, switch for each, perfectly fitting your need for OD and boost. But i must say, that the Xotic RC Booster is on my "things to buy" list after i recently jammed with a friend who owned it. It's very transparent, and lets you tighten or dump whatever frequencies you don't use. I usually dime the treble, drop the bass, and keep everything else mid, allowing a real "rangemaster" feel. Love it.
Cheers,
DK
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv